[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Clone Manufactures

circuit@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (circuit) (10/23/89)

O.k. Here we go with another ridiculous request but I figure that this
is the only place I can get any REAL opinion. I recently posted a
message regarding PC-BRAND , I will not consider them after what the
person had to say. SO I am considering the following places. Any
comments on any of these places would be appreciated.

Northgate
Gateway
Club
CompuAdd

thanks in advance...

Chris

--
| Chris Steinke    circuit@csd4.milw.wisc.edu    |
| "Oh no not ANOTHER bloody fine arts major!"	 |

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (10/25/89)

From article <571@uwm.edu>, by circuit@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (circuit):

> O.k. Here we go with another ridiculous request but I figure that this
> is the only place I can get any REAL opinion. I recently posted a
> message regarding PC-BRAND , I will not consider them after what the
> person had to say. SO I am considering the following places. Any
> comments on any of these places would be appreciated.
>
> Northgate
> Gateway
> Club
> CompuAdd
>
> thanks in advance...
>

> Chris

Chris,

How about putting your own PC together from parts?  Take this for
an example (All from computer shopper)

Mylex 386 motherboard with 1MB ram 64K cache memory	$1100
Purchase another 3MB of 80NS ram at $150/MB		$ 450
Purchase tower case					$ 120
Purchase powersupply					$ 100
Purchase floppy disk drive				$ 100
Purchase floppy disk drive controller			$ 100
Purchase SCSI disk controller and 80MB hard disk	$ 550
Purchase Everix Unix					$ 850

total for bare bones unix system			$3370

You may even do better then that, as it may be possible to hook
the floppy disk drive up to the scsi disk controller, (savings of
$100), and I thought that I saw 80ns SIMM modules for $127/MB
(over 3 MB savings of $69), and the case and powersupply can
probably be had for less.

I like the mylex motherboards.  I have looked over the past
several months for any negative reviews and everyone seems really
happy with them.  They have a 2 year warrenty and got a great
review in computer shopper a few months ago.

Hope this helps...

--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

jbeard@ntvax.uucp (Jeff Beardsley) (10/25/89)

I don't know about Northgate, Gateway or Club, but let me tell you about
CompuADD.

	Here at the University of North Texas, where I work, we had
the mis-fortune to become the proud owners of a CompuADD 286 Box, running
at 12 MHz.  In the 3 semesters we have had this machine, nearly all parts
of the machine had to be replaced, and some more than once (We get all our
replacement parts from CompuADD also).

	When it first arrived, my first complaint was that the 80 Meg
hard-drive was extremely cluttered up with bad-sectors (4.5 Meg Bad).
Within the month the drive had 2 major crashes, and had to be replaced.
The replacement drive was similar, though not quite so bad (3 Meg Bad).

	Everything went quite well for about 2 months, then there were
power supply problems.  That replaced, and another couple months wait,
and we had to get our FIRST Mother Board Replacement.

	Original Parts on this machine now include:

1.	The Case
2.	The Keyboard (I hate the feel)
3.	The Monitor (At least IT was nice [NEC Multi-Sync II])

	Replacement Parts now installed:

	3rd Motherboard
	3rd Hard Drive
	4th Power Supply
	2nd 1.2 Meg Floppy
	2nd 1.44 Meg Floppy

Overall I think it was a bad choice in computers, for ANY purpose other
than a doorstop.

disclaimer: My opinion is Mine alone, and does not nessessarily reflect
the opinions of all the other people at the university, though many concur.

jbeard
--
-------- Jeff Beardsley at UNT ----------- <jbeard@dept.csci.unt.edu> --------

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (10/26/89)

In article <1989Oct25.142228.10216@ntvax.uucp>, jbeard@ntvax.uucp (Jeff Beardsley) writes:
> I don't know about Northgate, Gateway or Club, but let me tell you about
> CompuADD.

    (long flame about problems about problems  with CompuAdd 286)

> 	Original Parts on this machine now include:
>
> 1.	The Case
> 2.	The Keyboard (I hate the feel)
> 3.	The Monitor (At least IT was nice [NEC Multi-Sync II])
>
> 	Replacement Parts now installed:
>
> 	3rd Motherboard
> 	3rd Hard Drive
> 	4th Power Supply
> 	2nd 1.2 Meg Floppy
> 	2nd 1.44 Meg Floppy

This posting contradicts my experience with CompuAdd systems. I own a
CompuAdd system and so do several of my friends. I have noticed no
hardware problems with their systems personally and the information
I've seen posted on the net and the reviews I've read in magazines
says much the same thing. While any particular system from any
manufactor might be a lemon, I fail to understand the continuing
problems after the replacement of almost all the significant parts of
the system.

Are there any enviornmental conditions that might effect the computer?

	- Power surges or voltage variations?
	- Unusual temperature or humidity conditions?
	- Vibration?
	- Is the system properly venilated?
	- Does the computer get moved around a lot?
	- Are there any other computers in the same room?
	  Do they experience any unusual problems?
	- Is there any equipment in the area that might emit powerful
	  EM fields?

Just a few suggestions?
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel