[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More Internationalization of Software

terrell@cadnetix.COM (10/20/89)

More "Internationalization of Software" questions:

I:	Computer Printers

It's clear that European paper sizes are different than in the US.
However, what about popular computer printers:  do they tend to
(at least by default) print pages of 66 lines by 80 columns?

What are the dimensions of the tractor feed paper that is loaded in
the printers?

II:	Software Documentation & Orthography

How does documentation differ in Europe?  Do US software developers go
to the trouble of converting to British spelling?  Do British users
resent it when they don't?  Or perhaps the users don't care?

Note that I'm talking only about the documentation.  It's clear that
(for example) a spelling checker would have to be converted to British
orthography.

Does US software/documentation usually get translated for countries that have
relatively small user communities (e.g. Sweden)?  If the answer is "No",
would translation of a product give it a great competitive advantage
over a similar, but non-translated product?

Is there a big market for third-party native-language software
documentation?  In the US there's a big market for third-party software
documentation because pirates don't like reading loose xerox copies, and so
much software documentation isn't very good in the first place.

III:	Product Introduction

After reading several overseas computer mags, I get the impression that
(to be sarcastic) Europe is used as a beta-test site for US-developed
software.  I own SPRINT 1.0 which I believe is the most recent version
available domestically, while users in Europe are using version 1.5.
I've seen other cases...  Does the European user community tend to get
US products before their counterparts in the US?  If so, is there a bias
against US products due to buggy initial versions of software being
offered first in Europe?  Or do European users appreciate the chance to
work with more recent versions of software?

Once again, thanks in advance.

I will try to post a summary of this dialog.  Unfortunately, the results
of this discussion two months ago have been dropped into the bit-bucket.

Terrell

bl@infovax.UUCP (Bj|rn Larsson) (10/22/89)

In article <9995@cadnetix.COM> terrell@cadnetix.COM () writes:

>II:	Software Documentation & Orthography
>
>Does US software/documentation usually get translated for countries that have
>relatively small user communities (e.g. Sweden)?  If the answer is "No",
>would translation of a product give it a great competitive advantage
>over a similar, but non-translated product?

Larger packages, like word some word processors, speard-sheets, integrated
packages etc get translated if the market justifies it. Programming lan-
guages, programmers editors and special utilities usually don't since pro-
fessional programmers know english well anyway, and the market is smaller
(by comparison). As for DOS itself, IBM translates all DOS documentation,
and all text strings in the programs themselves, to Swedish (and all other
national languages too). To me it's a nuisance, since I prefer english. It
looks so ridiculous in swedish many times, and sometimes the translations
aren't right either. So I always try to get the english language versions,
but it seems DOS 'in english' is getting hard to find on the swedish market.

In general, I think it's a definite competitive edge here to have docs and
prompts in the national language in question.

About the rest of Europe, I know that in France it is regulated *by law*
that in order to sell a computer product there, documentation in french
*must* be available. I don't know how the law is obeyd - my company does
export to France (both hardware and software) with english docs...

As for population sizes for those who don't know, we're about 8 million
people here in Sweden, and there are about 55 million in France. Both
countries cover approximately the same land area.

>III:	Product Introduction
>
>After reading several overseas computer mags, I get the impression that
>(to be sarcastic) Europe is used as a beta-test site for US-developed
>software.  I own SPRINT 1.0 which I believe is the most recent version
>available domestically, while users in Europe are using version 1.5.

But is Borland an American company? The original Turbo PASCAL was written
by a danish guy (who admittedly now lives in the US). And (I may be very
wrong about this but) isn't the company which owns Borland based in Sweden?
I think I've seen something like that somewhere (but I think development
- most of it  - is actually done in the US). Further I know that Swedish
Borland International has more or less forbidden US Borland to export to
swedish distributors, since SW Borland wants Borland products in Sweden
to have swedish docs. Therefore to get english docs, I had to buy my
Turbo C Professional package from abroad (actually from Logicsoft in
Holland). Isn't it weird?

But to answer your question, I don't think Europe gets earlier releases
than the US. Rather, the introduction of the same packages are probably
done at the same time, or maybe somewhat later here.

							-- Bjorn

--
 ====================== InfoVox = Speech Technology =======================
 Bjorn Larsson, INFOVOX AB      :      ...seismo!mcvax!kth!sunic!infovax!bl

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (10/23/89)

In article <9995@cadnetix.COM> terrell@cadnetix.COM () writes:

>More "Internationalization of Software" questions:
>
>I:	Computer Printers
>
>It's clear that European paper sizes are different than in the US.
>However, what about popular computer printers:  do they tend to
>(at least by default) print pages of 66 lines by 80 columns?

Depends how you define popular.  Most 'home-level' printers I've seen
default to 8-1/2x11 (US size) paper (or 9-1/2x11 counting the tractor
strips.  This size paper also tends to be cheaper.  Some people, like
me, find it annoying.

'Serious use' printers tend to (at least switch selectably) default to
A4, as that is the customary size for business correspondence, binders,
etc.  A4 is really sized in metric, but as a near-enough approximation
A4 computer paper is 8-1/4x11-2/3 inches.  The 11-2/3 is slightly wrong
for A4, but means that the paper works neatly in a printer with a 6 lpi
line throw.  80 columns wide is good enough (anyone who really needs
more margin will handle that when they format things) but 66 lines is
wrong -- A4 is 70 lines long.

Again because of the split market, A4 tractor paper is more expensive
than US size in the UK.  A lot of this, though is because A4 is only
easily available in high-grade 'letter quality' paper, while 8-1/2x11
is available in junk 'listings' grade.  Still, if you are going to do
any serious business- oriented software, WPs, etc, you've got to cater
for A4.  It's painfully tedious otherwise.  But, you have to leave in
8-1/2x11 support as well, for the low-budget users.

>II:	Software Documentation & Orthography
>
>How does documentation differ in Europe?  Do US software developers go
>to the trouble of converting to British spelling?  Do British users
>resent it when they don't?  Or perhaps the users don't care?

US developers don't normally seem to convert the docs.  Since I'm bilingual,
(US and UK :-) I tend not to care too much.  Just be careful to keep the
doc and the program consistent.  Don't change the doc to talk about your
'COLOUR' command in BASIC if the BASIC interpreter still insists on your
using 'COLOR'.

More importantly is to be consistent.  What's REALLY annoying is docs (or
software) which SOMETIMES use British spelling and sometimes US.  Then
you never know where you are.

>Note that I'm talking only about the documentation.  It's clear that
>(for example) a spelling checker would have to be converted to British
>orthography.

Do note, though, that it should be CONVERTED.  A lot of companies simply
ADD British spellings to their US dictionary.  That seriously compromises
their usefulness, as the US spellings, most of which are WRONG in the UK,
get left in and accepted.

>Is there a big market for third-party native-language software
>documentation?

Yes, for complicated packages e.g. Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect, Word, etc.
Mostly for 3rd-party stuff designed to explain them to non-computer folk.

>III:	Product Introduction
>
>After reading several overseas computer mags, I get the impression that
>(to be sarcastic) Europe is used as a beta-test site for US-developed
>software.  I own SPRINT 1.0 which I believe is the most recent version
>available domestically, while users in Europe are using version 1.5.
>I've seen other cases...  Does the European user community tend to get
>US products before their counterparts in the US?  If so, is there a bias
>against US products due to buggy initial versions of software being
>offered first in Europe?  Or do European users appreciate the chance to
>work with more recent versions of software?

This may simply be due to there being something like 3 times as many STs
in Europe as in the US.
--
 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee@uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol@ukacrl.bitnet

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (10/24/89)

One little thing I forgot to mention in my reply yesterday, in which I
explained the size of A4 tractor feed (80 col by 70 lines is near
enough).  If you are writing something where 'beautiful page
formatting' doesn't really matter, like say a compiler which produces
printable listing files, and you don't want to special-case A4 support,
there is still a little trick which makes life easier for users of A4
paper.

That is, simply, to end your page with a FormFeed character, rather
than counting lines and skipping to EOF using NewLines.  Sure, a
printer setup for A4 will then waste 4 lines per page, but at least
each page will really be on a page rather than slowly creeping across
the folds.  People writing docfiles which are intended to be printed
out by the user could well consider this idea as well.
--

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (10/26/89)

In article <9995@cadnetix.COM> terrell@cadnetix.COM () asks:
>   How does documentation differ in Europe?  Do US software developers go
>   to the trouble of converting to British spelling?  Do British users
>   resent it when they don't?  Or perhaps the users don't care?

I have been involved with product translation tools the last six
years.  In the companies I've worked for all actual translation
was done by subsidiaries or branch offices in the target country.

In most countries everything has to be translated.  England is a special
case because we almost write the same language.  It's up to whoever is
in charge of marketing for England to decide how important it is.  I know
we translated it in the first company I worked for, but we sold to banks
and other industries that might be more concerned than buyers of home PC
software with how "proper" things are.

>   Does the European user community tend to get US products before their
>   counterparts in the US?

Not where I've worked.

At one company the tools, text resource files and documentation were
not turned over until the product was completed.  European versions of
a 1.0 release were several months to a year behind the US release, but
versions > 1.0 were usually quicker because only the changed text needs
to be translated (anything unchanged can be brought forward from the
previous release).

In another company updates to the textual items and tools were released
periodically as they changed during development, so the European releases
were only a month or two behind the US.

As an important note, from a developers point of view textual translations
are easy.  The hard stuff is dealing with different sizes of paper, different
date formats, different currency formats, variable length currency symbols,
decimal notation (many European countries reverse the US period and comma)
and many other *format* changes.  Any routines dealing with these things
must be general and switchable, either as compile time options, or better,
as user configurable options.

My personal favorite was a mainframe-based office automation system that
could run in any of up to 19 languages at once.  Each user specified which
of the loaded languages he or she wanted to use, and could change it at
any time.  Multiple languages sure ate up a lot of disk, though.

As yet another aside, some Canadian government contracts we bid on *required*
a system that was switchable between English and French.  If your company
has any aims in this direction, keep this in mind.

-Daniel Veditz