[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Laserjet IIP and Lotus 1-2-3

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard T. Ferris) (10/26/89)

A friend of mine recently bought a Laserjet IIP with 1/2 meg of
memory.  He has been trying to print graphs using version 3 of
Lotus 1-2-3.  His copy of 1-2-3 does not have a specific driver
for the IIP so he is using the one labeled "laserjet series II
without cartridge" or something close to that name.  Anyway, his
problem is that the machine is printing half the graph on  one
page and half on another.  He says that it prints the whole image
on one page when he uses draft mode.  Anyone know why this might
be?  The Lotus service person seemed to think it might be
an insufficient amount of memory.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (10/26/89)

>Anyway, his
>problem is that the machine is printing half the graph on  one
>page and half on another.  He says that it prints the whole image
>on one page when he uses draft mode.  Anyone know why this might
>be?  The Lotus service person seemed to think it might be
>an insufficient amount of memory.

This sympton is almost certainly due to insufficent memory on the
Laserjet IIP. I suspect an extra meg of memory will suffice to solve
the problem.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Sillicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

spectre@unix.cis.pitt.edu (It lives. It lives.) (10/27/89)

In article <15946@netnews.upenn.edu> ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Richard T. Ferris) writes:
%be?  The Lotus service person seemed to think it might be
%an insufficient amount of memory.
%

That's exactly what happened.  1/2 Meg is not enough to print an entire page of graphics in the HP's hi-res mode.  That's why he gets 2 pages.....the 1st page is up until where he ran out of memory & the 2d page is the rest.

There are two options:

	1.  Use Medium of Low Resolution (150 dpi or 75 dpi)
	2.  By more memory.

---
Robert Sillett -- Univ. of Pittsburgh
Internet: Spectre@Unix.CIS.Pitt.Edu  [130.49.254.10]
Usenet:   ...!pitt!cisunx!spectre
Bitnet:   spectre@pittunix  OR  spectre@pittvms

eaugustu@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Eric P. Augustus) (10/27/89)

In article <15946@netnews.upenn.edu> ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Richard T. Ferris) writes:
>A friend of mine recently bought a Laserjet IIP with 1/2 meg of
>memory.  He has been trying to print graphs using version 3 of
>Lotus 1-2-3.  His copy of 1-2-3 does not have a specific driver
>for the IIP so he is using the one labeled "laserjet series II
>without cartridge" or something close to that name.  Anyway, his
>problem is that the machine is printing half the graph on  one
>page and half on another.  He says that it prints the whole image
>on one page when he uses draft mode.  Anyone know why this might
>be?  The Lotus service person seemed to think it might be
>an insufficient amount of memory.

The Lotus service person is right.  You will need at least 1 Meg of
memory to print a full 300 dpi page of graphics.  You'll need more
if you plan to use several downloadable fonts in addition to the
graphics.

BTW, this is true for all programs, not just 1-2-3, that you want to
print graphics from to a laserjet.

[Disclaimer:  Opinions expressed are my own only (who else would claim them ?)]

--
|  1Lt Eric Augustus (GUS)	  | "The time you enjoy wasting is not       |