[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Microsoft Mouse meets DOS 4.01

dillon@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ian Dillon) (10/25/89)

Aloha,

I have a question for those experienced with setting up a Microsoft
Mouse on a system running MS-DOS 4.01 (oh no!).  I'm running a
Northgate 386 (20 MHz) with two serial COM ports set up with IRQ4
and IRQ3 respectively.  On either of these ports, I'd like to attach
a serial mouse (Microsoft driver = 7.00).

After running "msetup" (the Microsoft Mouse install program), and
making the appropriate changes to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, I receive
the following message after rebooting:

   " Microsoft mouse not found"

The next logical thing to do is check the connections, and  try both
ports to see if the trouble lies with my machine.  After hooking up
a modem to both ports, everything's kosher.  Also, I tested the
mouse on another machine and it worked perfectly.

After rechecking with Northgate, they confirmed the COM ports were
indeed IRQ4 and IRQ3.  Upon questioning a few guru's, each one agreed
that the problem probably stems from DOS 4.01.  It's now time to call
Microsoft Technical Support.  The person I spoke with there said the
problem is "probably" due to some wierdness with the Northgate machine,
and NOT 4.01 (big surprise there, huh?).  First off, the COM connections
in my machine are probably as standard as can be.  Also, the rumored
bugs with 4.01 have been passed around quite a bit.

Microsoft suggested switching to a bus port (no thanks), or wait until
they send a new driver (which hasn't even been developed yet).  Option
2 has me thinking of trading in for a Logitech device, or switching to
DOS 3.3x.

If you have had similar problems, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance!

  Ian

 *  All I really need to know      | Ian Dillon                            *
 *      I learned in kindergarden  |                                       *
 *                                 | BITNET: dillon@uhccux.bitnet          *
 *         > R. Fulgham <          | I-NET: dillon@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU  *

sac90286@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kubla Khan) (10/25/89)

In article <5216@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> dillon@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ian Dillon) writes:
>Microsoft Technical Support.  The person I spoke with there said the
>problem is "probably" due to some wierdness with the Northgate machine,
>and NOT 4.01 (big surprise there, huh?).

Sounds like they were right on the money. My MS Mouse runs just fine under
DOS 4.01 (at least it did until the cat chewed through the cord). It's
almost definitely NOT the fault of DOS 4.01, unless Northgate has done
something funky to it (I'm assuming that you got your DOS 4.01 from them).

--
---
Scott

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (10/26/89)

  I've had 2 clones, 1 with a 25Mhz Micronics MB and the other with a
20Mhz MYLEX mb and used the same MS serial mouse with both.  Oh yes,
both had DOS 4.01.
  I tend to agree with Microsoft - Northgate is doing something funny with
their ports.

Ken

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (10/26/89)

dillon@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Ian Dillon) writes:

>After running "msetup" (the Microsoft Mouse install program), and
>making the appropriate changes to the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, I receive
>the following message after rebooting:

>   " Microsoft mouse not found"
>Microsoft suggested switching to a bus port (no thanks), or wait until
>they send a new driver (which hasn't even been developed yet).  Option
>2 has me thinking of trading in for a Logitech device, or switching to
>DOS 3.3x.
>If you have had similar problems, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I installed a non-Microsoft serial mouse on a HYUNDAI-286C.  The
driver that came with it found it, and all my mouse software found
it just fine, EXCEPT FLIGHT SIMULATOR 3.0.  Now the funny thing about
FS is that Microsoft sells it.

I installed a Microsoft SERIAL mouse on a PS/2 SERIAL port (not the
mouse port).  The Microsoft driver absolutely refused to find it.

One hypothesis is that serial hardware which does not PERFECTLY match
the XT may cause mouse problems.  Another hypothesis is that Microsoft
is a pain in the a** just for the h*** of it.

My solution was to put a Microsoft Bus mouse on my Hyundai and attach
a Microsoft mouse to the mouse port on my PS/2.  Whatever the reason,
Microsoft software seems to do a better job of finding bus-attached
mice.

ALG106@PSUVM.BITNET (10/27/89)

I have a Northgate 386-20MHz and have used both Logitech and DFI mice.
I am using MS-DOS 4.01 and haven't had any problems what-so-ever.  I haven't
tried using a Microsoft Mouse so I can't comment on that, all I know is
I am a satisfied Northgate customer.
                               Andy
-------

|     Andrew Gross                          ARPA: alg106@psuvm.psu.edu      |
|     Pennsylvania State University       BITNET: ALG106@PSUVM              |
|          "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."           |
|                                                  - Steven Wright          |