[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM vs 386Max

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (10/19/89)

I had been using 386Max for a long time with Desqview, and decided
to give QEMM a try so that I could get the screen virtualization
feature to work. Screen virtualization works fine, but to my
surprise my computer is up to 20% slower running QEMM than 386Max.
This is visible both in benchmarking software and subjectively. Has
anyone else seen this? As a possible explanation, I am theorizing
that QEMM uses the virtual 8086 mode of the 386 but 386Max uses
only protected mode, and that virtual 8086 mode is slower.

Also, with QEMM installed a Ctl-Alt-Del locks up the computer
instead of rebooting. I tried the QEMM switch which tells it that my
keyboard is funny but that didn't help. A program which writes the
1234 soft boot pattern and jumps to FFFF:0 works about 90% of the
time, but locks up sometimes too. The computer is a true blue AT
with an AOX Master 386 accelerator board. Any ideas? I'll try to
call Quarterdeck on this one but we all know how hard it is to get
through to them.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation!
Usenet:     Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Fidonet:    1:105/14.8

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (10/23/89)

	I have also noticed a big decrease in speed using QEMM-386.  I
also cannot get any TSR to load in high ram at all.  Not even the mouse
driver from MicoSoft.  QuarterDekc clams that the Adaptec SCSI drive is
causing the problem.  Does any have Adaptec's phone number?

-bryon-

  I have not seen any of the problems with QEMM. Benchmarks may run
slower depending on what's going on in other windows. I never had a
lockup problem. I can't really offer much help other than to say check
your setup. It could be some interaction of the accelerator board, I
always used original 386 systems.

that the world is flat!" - anon

wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) (10/27/89)

 > QuarterDekc clams that the Adaptec SCSI drive is
 > causing the problem.  Does any have Adaptec's phone number?

I am not too experienced in QEMM or 386^Max, since I don't have a 386
YET.  Is it possible that the SCSI drive is taking up the rest of the
available high memory so that the drivers cannot be loaded high?  It
would make sense to me that if there wasn't any high memory, there
isn't anywhere for the drivers, etc. to go.

                                Wayne

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S -`Not ready error reading drive A' (416)487-9093 (1:250/526)