[comp.sys.ibm.pc] BARCODE readers for PC; Suggestions please.

Mike@hjuxa.UUCP (Mike) (10/24/89)

I am interested in getting a barcode reader for my PC.  Idealy, it should
be a portable unit.  I know nothing about barcode readers and am looking
for suggestions about brands, or types of scanners to look for or avoid.

Thanks
--
Michael A. Leach  uucp:  {decvax,clyde,rutgers,decuac}!hjuxa!mal
		  email: mal%hjuxa.unx.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (10/26/89)

in article <1623@hjuxa.UUCP>, Mike@hjuxa.UUCP (Mike) says:

> I am interested in getting a barcode reader for my PC.  Idealy, it should
> be a portable unit.  I know nothing about barcode readers and am looking
> for suggestions about brands, or types of scanners to look for or avoid.

No recommendations, just saw it at a show.
Either RS-232-C or inline with the keyboard of certain terminals:

PC-320 Bar Code Reader
TPS Electronics
4047 Transport Street
Palo Alto, CA 94303
	(415) 856-6833
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

barton@holston.UUCP (Barton A. Fisk) (10/28/89)

In article <1270@mitisft.Convergent.COM>, dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> in article <1623@hjuxa.UUCP>, Mike@hjuxa.UUCP (Mike) says:
>
> > I am interested in getting a barcode reader for my PC.  Idealy, it should
> > be a portable unit.  I know nothing about barcode readers and am looking

I can tell you which one not to buy....that's the Aedex unit made
by Welch-Allen.

Anyway, I got 6 of these monsters for a client of mine and they
have been nothing short of a nightmare.

I have a long list of complaints and I'm not going to waste bandwidth,
but as of now I'm having to BUY THEM BACK from my customer as they
fail (which is pretty often) just to save my consulting business'
reputation.

--
Barton A. Fisk          | UUCP: {attctc,texbell,vector}!warble!holston!barton
PO Box 1781             | (PSEUDO) DOMAIN: barton@holston.UUCP