[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Latest version of PKZIP ?

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (10/27/89)

I recently received a PKZIP-ed file which I tried to unpack. However, it did
not work - I only got the reply

	Warning! I don't know how to handle [file name]

for every file in the package. The most likely explanation for this seems to
be that a more recent version of PKZIP was used to pack this than the
one I have (which is 0.92)

So - is there a more recent version of PKZIP, and if there is, is somebody
willing to send me a copy ? (note that I only need the PKUNZIP executable).

Please note that we do not yet have any ftp connection to the outside world.

--
         Fridrik Skulason          University of Iceland
         frisk@rhi.hi.is

          Guvf yvar vagragvbanyyl yrsg oynax .................

komatsu@aludra.usc.edu (-----> Dave) (10/28/89)

In article <1265@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
>I recently received a PKZIP-ed file which I tried to unpack. However, it did
>not work - I only got the reply
>
>	Warning! I don't know how to handle [file name]
>
>for every file in the package. The most likely explanation for this seems to
>be that a more recent version of PKZIP was used to pack this than the
>one I have (which is 0.92)
>
>So - is there a more recent version of PKZIP, and if there is, is somebody
>willing to send me a copy ? (note that I only need the PKUNZIP executable).

As a matter of fact there are two version past the one you have.  There is
PKZIP101 and PKZIP102.  The author has choosen to change the method of
compression making the version incompatible.  But the good news is
PKUNZIP101 and 102 will unzip the earlier versions.  Sorry but I can't send
it but try and check SIMTEL20 they should have it.  If it becomes a problem
then send me mail (without FTP I don't know what I can do)

komatsu@aludra.usc.edu

slimer@trsvax.UUCP (10/29/89)

   Latest version of PKZIP is 1.02 which I first saw today, the 28th of
   October, 1989.

*  Thank You,                                  texbell!letni!rwsys!slimer  *
*         Bill             "Ever felt like a dip switch?" - ComputerWorld  *
*  George W. Pogue, 1300 Two Tandy, Fort Worth, TX. 76102  (817) 390-2871  *