[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Ever heard of a mac emulator?

coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) (10/24/89)

Has anyone out there in the IBM PC world heard of an emulator for
XT-class machines that runs Macintosh software?

A friend of mine is convinced that this exists, and is determined to
have it.  (In a polite difference of opinion I was forced to admit that
it *might* be possible, but only with some kind of 68000-based card --
he insists that his Grail is a piece of software, and that it is
public-domain.)

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

| Cory R. Carpenter                           | "Please fasten your   |
| Sequent Computer Systems                    |  seatbelts, and return|
| Beaverton, OR                               |  the stewardess to her|
| {uucp; ogccse; tektronix}!sequent!coryc     |  original upright     |
| This is me talking, not my employer.        |  position."           |

baalke@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Ron Baalke) (10/25/89)

In article <23793@sequent.UUCP> coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) writes:
>Has anyone out there in the IBM PC world heard of an emulator for
>XT-class machines that runs Macintosh software?

Well, I haven't heard of of a IBM PC emulating a Macintosh yet, but if it did
exist it would probably run slow because that is the nature of emulators.

There is a Mac emulator call AMAX that is a software/hardware package that
run on the Amiga computers. It uses actual Macintosh ROM chips and
Macintosh disk drives and cost around $600. The Amiga also has addons to
make it XT or AT compatible.

             Ron Baalke                        (818) 541-2341 ext 260
             Jet Propulsion Lab  M/S 301-355
             4800 Oak Grove Dr.
             Pasadena, CA 91109

pmjc@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Pam Arnold) (10/25/89)

In article <23793@sequent.UUCP> coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) writes:
>Has anyone out there in the IBM PC world heard of an emulator for
>XT-class machines that runs Macintosh software?
>
>A friend of mine is convinced that this exists, and is determined to
>have it.  (In a polite difference of opinion I was forced to admit that
>it *might* be possible, but only with some kind of 68000-based card --
>he insists that his Grail is a piece of software, and that it is
>public-domain.)
>
>| Cory R. Carpenter

There is a product called SoftPC that runs PC software on a Mac II.

I have never heard of a software Mac emulator for the PC. First of all,
if there were such a thing, it would be ungodly SLOW! Think of the hassle
of translation all those 68000 linear addresses into Intel segmented
addresses! Possible, I suppose, but hardly a a pace that would satisfy
an XT user.

Secondly, a product of this complexity isn't likely to be public
domain. Let's not even discuss the commercial possibilities....
I strongly suspect that Apple would send their lawyers out after anyone
who issued such a product, PD or not. After all, it would have to include
a functioning clone of the fabled Mac Toolbox, which Apple has shown
their interest in protecting through legal means.

You may recall the fate of the 'Magic Sac', which was a product that
allowed Atari ST owners to run Mac software.

PAA

daved@cscnj.csc.COM (Dave Douglass) (10/25/89)

In article <3492@ur-cc.UUCP>, pmjc@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Pam Arnold) writes:

> You may recall the fate of the 'Magic Sac', which was a product that
> allowed Atari ST owners to run Mac software.
>
> PAA

The demise of the 'Magic Sac' had nothing to do with Apple.  David Small
(the inventor of the Sac) left Data Pacific, Inc. (the company he started)
to move on to 'other projects'.  The result of his first other project
made the Magic Sac obsolete.

He currently owns and operates Gadgets by Small, Inc., makers of the
Spectre GCR.  This devices allows an Atari ST computer to emulate a
Mac Plus (128K ROMs) right down to using Mac floppys in the Atari drives.

There have been several long threads discussing the merits of a laptop Mac
vs. a laptop ST w/Spectre in comp.sys.atari.st and comp.sys.mac.

I'm not affiliated with Gadgets by Small, Inc. in any way except as a
Spectre 128 (no floppy drive emulation) owner.  But if Dave wants to
send me a free GCR in return for this plug, I won't refuse it.

--
---------
Dave Douglass  Computer Sciences Corporation  Piscataway, NJ  08854

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (10/26/89)

In article <23793@sequent.UUCP> coryc@sequent.UUCP (Cory Carpenter) writes:
>Has anyone out there in the IBM PC world heard of an emulator for
>XT-class machines that runs Macintosh software?

>| Cory R. Carpenter                           | "Please fasten your   |

   There was an XT emulator for the Mac (which, as I recall, was called
the SoftPC and was a failure for reasons I'll get to below). But I don't
think anybody has written a Mac emulator for the PC...

   It is possible to run binaries for one chip on another chip by
writing what amounts to a machine-language interpreter, which reads the
opcodes (for the 8088, in this case) and performs the indicated
operation using the opcodes of its own processor (the 68000). Of course,
this usually has to be coupled with an OS faker, which emulates the
functions of the OS of the emulated machine. Plus, you're having to
manage a virtual memory space (you have to feed the binary the sort of
addresses it's looking for while keeping track of where you've actually
put those bytes), and, in the case of emulating a DOS machine, you have
to be prepared for programs which want direct access to the hardware.

   In practice, nobody has ever actually done this. The SoftPC would
only run with well-behaved programs and, in any case, interpreting
machine language is INCREDIBLY slow.

   The Amiga has a far more intelligent approach with the BridgeCard,
which has an actual Intel 8088 with its own memory and some associated
hardware like communication ports and several expansion slots (!). In
this case, the problem is reduced to getting the 8088 binaries to the
8088 (not a problem, since the BridgeCard comes with a floppy drive
which connects directly to it) and getting the display onto the Amiga's
screen. The 8088 runs standard DOS, so not even an OS faker is required.
The 8088 can even have its own hard drive, since it has standard XT
expansion slots.

   Some additional fooling around is required in order to get the two
halves of the machine to share hard drives, but software to do this is
already available.

   Whew... sorry to go on for so long. The summary is: software
emulators are nearly impossible to write, don't do everything, and are
so slow as to be tough to use. Hardware hacks are much easier, but I
don't think anybody has done a Mac-on-a-board for the PC, especially
with the way Apple is about the Mac ROMs...

--
James W. Birdsall  jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU  jwbirdsa@pucc.BITNET
   ...allegra!princeton!phoenix!jwbirdsa   Compu$erve: 71261,1731

martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) (10/26/89)

***
*** In article <11074@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>,
*** jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) writes:
***

>   There was an XT emulator for the Mac (which, as I recall, was called
>the SoftPC and was a failure for reasons I'll get to below). But I don't
>think anybody has written a Mac emulator for the PC...

SoftPC is hardly a failure on the MAC.  It was designed to run on a 68020
or better, i.e. a MAC II or SE/30.  It runs at about the pace of an original
XT, which for many purposes is adequate ( I wouldn't want to do any statistics
on it though.)  while I still don't know why anyone would want to run IBM
PC software on a MAC when you can just import the data into a MAC application
if you need it, it does do a good job of emulation.  I have run it at a store
that I help out at and it seems to run everything I throw at it, even
Norton utilities.  I have only had one program refuse to run and it was a
trivial editor.  The program will even boot from a floppy if you have the
new apple superdrive in you MAC.

Please to not rank something as a failure unless you have tried it and specify
your criteria.

Marty

jwbirdsa@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (James Webster Birdsall) (10/31/89)

In article <-539608237@cpl-mfh.UUCP> martya@cpl-mfh.UUCP (Marty Adelman) writes:
=In article <11074@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, I wrote:
=
[...]

   This is what I get for repeating what I hear without thinking. I read
about it several years ago. Whoever wrote the article thought it stank
horribly (and maybe several years ago, on vintage Macs, it did) and
implied that it had sold one copy and then died. Since I never heard
anything further about it, I saw no reason to question what I read.

   Sorry, everybody.