[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Miniscribe 3675 auto-park?

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/22/89)

I recently got a Miniscribe 3675 (60MB RLL), and every time I power
on the computer, I hear this mmmmmmmmmm...stst (and then the access
light comes on for a few seconds).  Is this an indication of the heads
being un-parked, or an indication of the heads scraping against the
platters?

Does the 3675 auto-park?  Am I doing unspeakable things to my disk
drive every time I power up?

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/23/89)

In article <694.2541298B@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>I recently got a Miniscribe 3675 (60MB RLL), and every time I power
>on the computer, I hear this mmmmmmmmmm...stst (and then the access
>light comes on for a few seconds).  Is this an indication of the heads
>being un-parked, or an indication of the heads scraping against the
>platters?
>
>Does the 3675 auto-park?  Am I doing unspeakable things to my disk
>drive every time I power up?

     Off of the top of my head, I really don't remember if the 3675 is
an auto-park or not. That's the 41.2 MB drive, right??

     If I had to take a guess, I'd say "No." (to drugs!), that's
MFM and probably not auto-park. But heck, don't take my word for it.
Miniscribe has an 800 tech support line. Give it a call and ask them.
They would know for sure.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) (10/27/89)

Hello there,
    I have a Miniscribe 3650, which is basically the same drive as

the 3675 but not RLL approved.  My drive always makes that annoying
start up noise when it is first turned on.  The drive, however, does
not have an autopark (ie. parking the disks at power off, etc.).  I
believe it does have a jumper which you can set in order to have it
park periodically (some sort of timer).
    I have heard a lot of bad things about this time parking device

which causes bad sectors, etc.  Software programs that park your disk
after xx minutes of time are availible which actually work.

                        Wayne

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S -`Not ready error reading drive A' (416)487-9093 (1:250/526)

Jim.Ferguson@f28.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Ferguson) (10/31/89)

I have a Miniscribe 3650 running on an Adaptec 237x controller card.
They are most assuredly RLL.  You may not be reading the same book I
am, but when I hooked the drive up to a MFM card it couldn't cope.
When I hooked it to another RLL card it ran (slower, but it ran).  The
maker of my system shipped them as a matched set and I checked to make
sure.  The technician said it is an RLL, but could be run on MFM with
resulting loss of space, speed and reliability.  It is currentl set to
a 1:1 interleaf transferring data at the rate of some ungodly number.
You might want to recheck your spec sheets.

                                Jim

Jim Ferguson == ...!usceast!uscacm!28!Jim.Ferguson

Jim.Ferguson@f28.n376.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Ferguson) (10/31/89)

Oops!  Forgot-use the park program that was shipped with the drive and
be careful of software that "autoparks" without checking the drive for
the proper park cylinder number (808 I think).