[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 286 vs 386SX vs 386 again

bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) (10/25/89)

Someone recently stated some performance figures regarding the
286, 386SX, and 386 processors, but unfortunately I missed it.  The
understanding I had was that the 386SX doesn't run DOS applications
as fast as an equivalent speed 286.  Is this right?  If so, how much
faster is the 286, and more importantly, *why* is it faster?

--
Michael L. Bowden               Internet:  bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University                bowden@gw.wmich.edu

  The 286 executes a few instructions in one less clock cycle than the
386. It is technically "faster" but I think you would be hard pressed to
even measure it, much less notice. I believe that some benchmarks which
heavily use these instructions may run 1-2% soler on a 386.

  Programs which use the 386 instructions will run MUCH faster than the
same program using the 286 instructions. I measured 4:1 faster for some
benchmarks I just posted, and I see 2:1 on production programs. I
believe Phil Katz mentioned ZIP runs 40% faster on a 386.

  The bottom line is that you might lose up to 2% on some programs with
a 386, and gain up to 200% (real programs, not benchmarks). You will be
able to run new software as it comes out.

that the world is flat!" - anon

pa1632@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Robert Kim) (10/28/89)

In article <904@gumby.cc.wmich.edu> bowden@gumby.cc.wmich.edu (Michael L. Bowden) writes:
>Someone recently stated some performance figures regarding the
>286, 386SX, and 386 processors, but unfortunately I missed it.  The
>understanding I had was that the 386SX doesn't run DOS applications
>as fast as an equivalent speed 286.  Is this right?  If so, how much
>faster is the 286, and more importantly, *why* is it faster?

I also hear that Harris came out with a 20MHz 286, and according to
them, it's supposed to be about n times faster (I forgot how much)
than the 20MHz 386.  So again, why is it faster?
--
Robert W. Kim                                 rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego

wsinrn@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) (10/31/89)

Hello

Basically it is true, but the 386 is probably a few percent slower than a
286 at the same speed. But don't forget a 386 or 386 SX often has memory
interleaving, or better memory caching. And software that can take advantage
of the 386 will use the 32 bits bus, loading 4 bytes at once in a register
instead of 2 times a 2byte integer. Plus the fact that the 386 has memory
mapping capabilities that can make your PC a lot more useful, for example with
programs like QEMMS or 386-to-the-max. Buy a 386, it's worth it...

Rob