[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Attitude problem towards my RAM card

cs4g6aw@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Amos Yung) (10/27/89)

For all of those people out there that possess great wisdom, I've got a
problem.

        I am using a 12MHz-AT with 3 megbyte of memory (1Meg on board and
2 Meg on a RAM card). It works fine with the EMS4.0 software that comes
with my memory card. However, my machine seems to be developing an attitude
problem towards the RAM card. For example, even though the MS-Window admit
that I've got 2 Meg of Expanded memory (indicated on the "About MS-Exec"
option), it doesn't seem to like using it (it uses only about 256K of this
expanded memory when I run Pagemaker or Excel); When I run Desqview, the
Memory Status Program would  say that I've got 2 Meg of Expanded memory, but
0K of largest available expanded memory. I can't even run MS-Word in it.

        Anybody out there knows what the problem is? Got the perfect solution
for it?

        Frankly, I am fed up with the stupid PC, I want my MAC. Stop me
before I hurt somebody!!!!!!!!

--
						Amos Yung
						McMaster University,

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (10/29/89)

>        I am using a 12MHz-AT with 3 megbyte of memory (1Meg on board and
>2 Meg on a RAM card). It works fine with the EMS4.0 software that comes
>with my memory card. However, my machine seems to be developing an attitude
>problem towards the RAM card. For example, even though the MS-Window admit
>that I've got 2 Meg of Expanded memory (indicated on the "About MS-Exec"
>option), it doesn't seem to like using it (it uses only about 256K of this
>expanded memory when I run Pagemaker or Excel); When I run Desqview, the
>Memory Status Program would  say that I've got 2 Meg of Expanded memory, but
>0K of largest available expanded memory. I can't even run MS-Word in it.

Has it ever worked?  The symptoms you describe are those of EMS 3.2
hardware running an EMS 4.0 driver.  Strange as that sounds, a lot of
manufacturers have done this including Intel (I bought a dozen of their EMS
4.0 AboveBoards before learning this dismal truth).  EMS 3.2 uses a 64k
pageframe in high memory to map in 64k of expanded memory at a time.  EMS
4.0 can have much larger page frames in conventional memory, allowing the
kind of context switching that DESQview does.  You have to have the 4.0
hardware for this.

---------------
Bill Kuykendall
Chicago, IL USA
 ...!point!wek
wek@point.UUCP

wayne.ho@f526.n250.z1.fidonet.org (wayne ho) (11/01/89)

 > run Desqview, the
 > Memory Status Program would  say that I've got 2 Meg of
 > Expanded memory, but
 > 0K of largest available expanded memory. I can't even run
 > MS-Word in it.

What type of EMS card do you have?  It could be possible that the card
doesn't have full hardware support of EMS LIM 4.0.  I had a NEAT board
which had EMS 4.0 built-in, but as you stated it had 0K of the largest
available expanded memory.  I ran a EMS testing program to find that
I didn't have full hardware support of EMS 4.0 so DESQview could only
use the expanded memory to SWAP programs rather than run them.

                        Wayne

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: MeTaStAsIo'S -`Not ready error reading drive A' (416)487-9093 (1:250/526)