[comp.sys.ibm.pc] overwriting CMOS

len@elxsi.UUCP (Len Mills) (10/27/89)

In article <110200020@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>When I put a bug in the program (Often!) Windows dies and it is the
>big black  (this is a Dell 310 with a 150 meg hard disk) switch.
>When I turn it back on, it says "configuration error - run setup" and
>double beeps.
>
>What is going on?

    You most likely have a wild pointer which is allowing you to
    modify the contents of the CMOS ram.  That's what causes this
    symptom for me.  Note that you don't even have to be using
    windows to have a bug with this symptom, all you need to have
    is a program which isn't small model.

    Run to your favorite debugging environment and start Watching
    those pointers!

--

Len Mills ...
{uunet,ucbvax!sun,lll-lcc!lll-tis,altos86,bridge2}!elxsi!len

hollen@eta.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (11/01/89)

From article <2894@elxsi.UUCP>, by len@elxsi.UUCP (Len Mills):

>     You most likely have a wild pointer which is allowing you to
>     modify the contents of the CMOS ram.  That's what causes this
>     symptom for me.  Note that you don't even have to be using
>     windows to have a bug with this symptom, all you need to have
>     is a program which isn't small model.

How about someone helping me out and telling me just where the
CMOS is located so i CAN write to it.  I've got all the information
as to the contents, but not the address at which it lives.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

        uunet!megatek!hollen       or  hollen@megatek.uucp