[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ZEOS Computers

syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) (10/23/89)

I am considering buying a ZEOS 386/20, mostly because of the reviews it
received, and the price. Anyone have any experiences with this company that
they would care to relate?

Are there other computer manufacturers that are generally considered good
(and inexpensive) that I should be considering as well?

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/23/89)

In article <47234@bbn.COM> syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
>I am considering buying a ZEOS 386/20, mostly because of the reviews it
>received, and the price. Anyone have any experiences with this company that
>they would care to relate?
>
>Are there other computer manufacturers that are generally considered good
>(and inexpensive) that I should be considering as well?

    A friend of mine bought a '286 from them a few years back. Pricing
was very competitive.

    Quality. OK. She hasn't had any problems that I know of. None major,
anyway. The only problem with the machine that I can recall offhand is
it has trouble interfacing with 360 KB floppy drives, even tho the
Flopp Controller docs say it can handle everything under the sun.

    Oh, yeah, about the docs. Written in Japglish...or is that
Englisanese??? Anyway, if you like reading poorly written docs talk to
ZEOS.

    Fairly compatible. Won't run BASICA, obviously. HAs problems here
and there with misc. peices of software and games. Nothing major,
just minor annoyances.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

P.S. Also look at Gateway and Dell.

BCHS1B@jane.uh.edu (10/24/89)

In article <47234@bbn.COM>, syswerda@bbn.com (Gilbert Syswerda) writes:
> I am considering buying a ZEOS 386/20, mostly because of the reviews it
> received, and the price. Anyone have any experiences with this company that
> they would care to relate?
>
> Are there other computer manufacturers that are generally considered good
> (and inexpensive) that I should be considering as well?

Just got a Zeos 286-12 about 2 months ago. Am very pleased with it. It is
set up well with good hardware. FAst hard disk. Runs well and seems well
built. They originally sent me the wrong monitor, when I called they sent
the new one out immediately and did not have me send in the old one until
the new one arrived so that i could still work. Very happy with them.
mike benedik
benedik@uh.edu

dgl00215@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/31/89)

(Re: experience with Zeos equipment)

I have been using a Zeos 286-12 since somewhere around April of 1988.
I have had absolutely no trouble with the hard drive and no internal hardware
failures.  My monitor has also lived a trouble-free life thus far.

On the other side of the coin, I have had the keyboard replaced (my
conjecture is that its processor was somehow fried by static electricity).
I also experienced head alignment problems in both my 1.2 MB and 360 KB
drives.  To be honest, this may well have been my fault--I forgot to place
anything in the drives to protect the heads while the unit was following me
from Illinois to Texas!  Zeos was, in my opinion, very kind to include this
replacement under the warranty.

My only outstanding complaint is that my system clock is SLOOOW!  I have no
accurate estimates, but it probably loses somewhere around 5 minutes in a
month!  I would like this to be fixed, but I can't afford to send the
computer in for work.

As for compatibility, I have not yet run into any problems unattributable to
any of my small army of TSRs.  If something won't run, I usually look there
first.

ralf@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (10/31/89)

In article <111700165@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> dgl00215@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
}My only outstanding complaint is that my system clock is SLOOOW!  I have no
}accurate estimates, but it probably loses somewhere around 5 minutes in a
}month!  I would like this to be fixed, but I can't afford to send the
}computer in for work.

Get a copy of AT-CLOCK.ARC from PD1:<MSDOS.AT> on SIMTEL20.  It will correct
for the CMOS clock's drift, and includes a program to measure the drift (my
AT loses 228 seconds per month).  It even adjusts for DST for those in the US!
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf   ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/46
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

henke@yacht.cis.ohio-state.edu (robert d henke) (11/01/89)

>My only outstanding complaint is that my system clock is SLOOOW!  I have no
>accurate estimates, but it probably loses somewhere around 5 minutes in a
>month!  I would like this to be fixed, but I can't afford to send the
>computer in for work.

The system clock on my Zeos 286/12 is slow, too.  Anyone out there know why
this might be?  Is the problem limited to the Zeos 286/12?

Dru