[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP - MSDos version of compress

JTW106@PSUVM.BITNET (Jeff Wolfe) (11/01/89)

HELP! I have spent some time FTPing my way around the country, and have seen
the HP Laserjet fonts available thru MIMS-iris.waterloo.edu.

My problems stem from the fact that the files on this particular archive are
squashed by a program referred to as 'compress'. I have never heard of this
program, and even worse, I have no Idea how to get hold of it..
   can anyone help me ?

Thanks in advance!

-------
+=====================================================================+
| RelayNet: Jeff Wolfe(Direct mail to node OUTER) |  Jeff Wolfe       |
| JTW106@psuvm.psu.edu                            |  114 Lake St.     |
| JTW106@psuvm.BITNET                             |  Dalton, PA. 18414|
|-------------------------------------------------+-------------------|
| "A Computer's efficiency decreases              |  (home of Jerry's |
| as the urgency of retrieval increases"          |   world famous    |
|                     -(the infamous) Mr. Murphy  |   American hoagie)|
+=====================================================================+

racine@yunexus.UUCP (Jeff Racine) (11/02/89)

In article <89304.224718JTW106@PSUVM.BITNET> JTW106@PSUVM.BITNET (Jeff Wolfe) writes:
>HELP! I have spent some time FTPing my way around the country, and have seen
>the HP Laserjet fonts available thru MIMS-iris.waterloo.edu.
>
>My problems stem from the fact that the files on this particular archive are
>squashed by a program referred to as 'compress'. I have never heard of this
>program, and even worse, I have no Idea how to get hold of it..
>   can anyone help me ?

The files are compressed using the VAX/VMS compress utility. You must download
some utilities (don't remember the names right now) to convert the files into
the right format, then use the VAX/VMS restore command.

Simpler solution: Log onto CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU and go to the directory
lib:[tex.fonts.%1] where %1 is the resolution you need (e.g. 329).
Then do a binary file transfer for the fonts you need. No need to
compress/uncompress and so on.

Hope this helps.

racine@nexus.yorku.ca