[comp.sys.ibm.pc] simtel20

aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) (07/13/87)

Ahem.  Where in the hell are you getting the idea that simtel20 runs tenex?
See that "20" in there?  Check your host table.  Simtel20 is running TOPS-20.
"rather than unix"?  Unix isn't the only os in the world, you know.  I'd like
you try to run unix on a 20.  I have had no problems whatsoever ftping from
simtel20 on a 780 running unix when doing an image mode transfer.

randys@mipon3.intel.com (Randy Steck) (07/15/87)

In article <4UyCLWy00WAKI9k178@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>Ahem.  Where in the hell are you getting the idea that simtel20 runs tenex?
      -- other stuff ---
>I have had no problems whatsoever ftping from
>simtel20 on a 780 running unix when doing an image mode transfer.

This is interesting since I have had the same problem mentioned in the
previous mail.  Image mode (obtained through the binary command in ftp)
does not produce an executable image.  However, giving the "tenex" command
to ftp does put it in a mode acceptable to the Simtel20 archives.

According to the ftp man pages, the "tenex" command sets the file transfer
type of ftp to that needed to talk to TENEX machines.  Since I have no idea
what a TENEX file transfer is, I have no basis for judging the merits of a
system running such an animal.  However,  I would not suppose in this age
of software and hackers that a file transfer protocol called TENEX would
not be available on OS's other than a TENEX OS (if this exists?).

Obviously, Mr. Datri missed the point of the posting, which was a
simple observation that ftp seemed to require the "tenex" command to be
given, as is specified in the Simtel20 documentation.   It would seem
to me that just because something works on the particular system on
which I am running that it would work the same way on any other
system.  The original poster seems to have made an honest mistake, which
should not be sufficient reason to publicly humiliate him.

I find these newsgroups to be a wealth of information not obtainable
through any other means and appreciate hearing about problems and
observations that other have to contribute.  Please do not be deterred from
posting these items simply because someone takes them as a personal
affront.

-- Randy Steck
   Intel Corp.
"Fast Floating Point is easy.  It's the exceptions that kill you."
Disclaimer:  This is my personal opinion.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (07/15/87)

In article <4UyCLWy00WAKI9k178@andrew.cmu.edu> aad+@andrew.cmu.edu (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>Ahem.  Where in the hell are you getting the idea that simtel20 runs tenex?

I don't have the impression that anything is implied about operating
systems. There is a command in ftp called tenex (command, not o/s) which
causes 9 to 8 bit byte packing when going from a 36 bit machine to a 32
bit machine.

>See that "20" in there?  Check your host table.  Simtel20 is running
TOPS-20.

I doubt that it changes the number of bits.

>"rather than unix"?  Unix isn't the only os in the world, you know.  I'd like
>you try to run unix on a 20.  I have had no problems whatsoever ftping from
>simtel20 on a 780 running unix when doing an image mode transfer.

You must be lucky! I have to use tenex for 780's, both UNIX and VMS. My
friends have to use it from Suns. Could it be that your system has a
version of ftp with default tenex mode?

flame on ================
What an rude, arrogant, reply!
flame off ===============
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (07/21/87)

Sigh.  Nothing like rampant misinformation.

The TENEX ftp mode is misnamed; it should be called TOPS, or perhaps PDP-10.
The reason is that "TENEX" is not the basic operating system using that
particular mode; the problem is a hardware one, not a software one.

The basic problem is that the PDP-10 architecture uses 36-bit words rather
than 8-bit bytes.  IMAGE mode for these machines transmits 36-bit words;
TEXT mode probably uses 7-bit ASCII.  (36/7 == 5 plus a fraction, resulting
in 5 7-bit bytes and one waste bit in a word.)  TENEX mode most likely packs 4
8-bit bytes into a word, wasting four bits per word.  [I do not know exactly
what the setup is; beginning CS students on the PDP-10 I used weren't
made privy to network information, and I never got a chance to snarf
documentation on all the various data representations beyond RADIX-50 and
SIXBIT.  Nevertheless, there are obvious arrangements.]

The original operating system for the PDP-10 was TOPS-10.  Later on, a
modified version with extended features (VM paging?) was created; this was
TENEX.  DEC then made their own version of TENEX; they called it TOPS-20;
the TENEX folks, not to be outdone, created TWENEX from TOPS-20.  (After
which DEC decided to stop producing and supporting the PDP-10.  Will UNIX
doom the VAX-11 in the same way?)

SINTEL20, by its name, runs TOPS-20.  Same PDP-10 processor, therefore the
same word-to-bit translations apply as do for TENEX.

Now, can we kindly cut the TOPS-10/TENEX/TOPS-20 wars and get back to the
important stuff?
--
	  [Copyright 1987 Brandon S. Allbery, all rights reserved]
 [Redistribution permitted only if redistribution is subsequently permitted.]

whitney@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (glen whitney) (07/30/87)

	In both this group and comp.sys.ibm.pc.digest, I have seen several
references to SIMTEL20.  Just what exactly is SIMTEL20?  It sounds like a
database.  If it is, how does one access it?  Thanks in advance.

			Wayne Whitney
--
whitney@husc4.harvard.edu (ARPANET)
whitney@husc4.UUCP (UUCP)

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

gtchen@faline.UUCP (08/31/87)

I've been reading about SIMTEL20 which, from what I've read, contains
lots and lots of public domain programs.  Can anyone tell me
how I can get to these programs?  I don't have an account on the
computer (I don't even know where it is).  I know that I can
access it because there is a simtel20.arpa line in /etc/hosts.
I'm not very familiar with unix however and when I tried a
ftp simtel20.arpa it asked for a login and password, which I
don't have.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

(Let's see if .signature works now)

|What's a .signature? Life is an equation whose only solutions are irrational |
|gtchen@thumper.bellcore.com ! gtchen@romeo.caltech.edu ! gtchen@where.am.i?. |

coulter@hpclisp.HP.COM (Michael Coulter) (09/01/87)

Try user:	anonymous
    password:	guest

-- Michael Coulter   ...{ucbvax|hplabs}|hpda!coulter

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (11/10/87)

I think that Simtel20 is finally back in action. I connected and ftp'ed
some stuff from there last night and all was a working fine again, I believe.

						Ron
						woan@cory

suresh@amdcad.AMD.COM (Suresh Agarwal) (02/10/88)

 would anyone post path and procedure to access simtel
 msdos archive?

 thanks in advance.

 suresh@amd.com

--
 Suresh Agarwal
 UUCP: suresh@amd.com

benoitm@hpmwtla.HP.COM ( Benoit Menendez) (03/11/88)

Hello world,

MY WORKSTATION IS STUPID, it cannot access via ftp anything outside HP (I
guess this has to do with security and simpler system administration). But I
would love to have access to SIMTEL20 among other things.

Could one of you out there with a world-wide ftp access please get a list
(with one line description) of the programs available on SIMTEL20 for MSDOS
and UNIX. Then could this person kindly post it to the net or mail it to me.

Then, second stage of the process: If I find something interresting, I will
need another kind soul (maybe the same) to get a specific package and mail it
to me, or I can send a floppy or... we'll see...

Thank you for your support...

					Benoit
					UUCP (sic) : ...!hplabs!hpmwtla!benoitm

Fortune of the day:
-------------------
    I put up my thumb... and it blotted out the planet Earth.  --Neil Armstrong

sj1f+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steven Kent Jensen) (03/13/88)

        In each volume of pc-blue there is a catalog file (usuallay
-catalog.{vol#}.{1or2}).  This shows all the files in the volume with a short
explanation on some of them.  In addition there is a file (don't remember the
name) that lists all the volumes and the type of programs it has on it.

        Hope this will help you.

                                        Steven Jensen

Byron.Armstrong@f404.n387.z1.ANGEL.UCM.ORG (Byron Armstrong) (07/24/89)

Used to check into SIMTEL20 a few years back via ARPA at Mitre.  I still
consult with USAF from time to time and would like to get back on SIMTEL20.
Is there a public access means?  Thanks,  Byron de W8SYD.
P.S. Where u from originally with that call?  May have talked to you a few
years back.
--
Byron Armstrong - via FidoNet node 1:387/605
UUCP: thnkpos!angel.ucm.org!404!Byron.Armstrong

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (10/13/89)

There has been some good descriptions of how to access the
SIMTEL archives...but they don't describe how I access them.
So, maybe, my two cents will also help.
BTW the archives are GREAT.

I send mail to:
    listserv@vm1.nodak.edu
This is NOT the SIMTEL archive, but a gateway(?)
to it for those who can't directly access it.

The subject line is blank and the only text is of the form:
    /PDGET PD:<MSDOS.SYSUTL>DRAIN.ARC
This means get me DRAIN.ARC from PD\MSDOS\SYSUTL.
Some hours after I send that out, I get mail back with the
object I asked for. Its encoded so I then edit the mail,
stripping off the header/trailer. After I save that,
I run UUDECODE on it...
Note, this is all done on my SUN workstation (3/60).

Finally, the output of UUDECODE is a file DRAIN.ARC
I then copy that off the SUN onto a PC floppy and
then I have it.

Some restrictions I have seen:
1-No more than 100k/day/user will be sent
2-No more than 3 files per day will be sent

A great place to start is with:
    /PDDIR PD1:<MSDOS.STARTER>*.*
which means list everything in that subdirectory.
    /PDGET PD1:<MSDOS.FILEDOCS>AAAREAD.ME
which gets you the readme file for SIMTEL related information.

Also, read the newsgroup 'comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d' for related
useful information.

have fun,

joec@morgan.com

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (10/17/89)

In article <442@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>There has been some good descriptions of how to access the
>SIMTEL archives...but they don't describe how I access them.
>So, maybe, my two cents will also help.
>BTW the archives are GREAT.
>
>I send mail to:
>    listserv@vm1.nodak.edu
>This is NOT the SIMTEL archive, but a gateway(?)
>to it for those who can't directly access it.

I tried it, and it does not work for me.  I get a "remote protocol error"
message and some bounced mail.

Some time ago, I got mail from someone who offered to help with sort of
thing on simtel, but it seemed the mail connection was one-way.  It's
unseemly to carry one side of the conversation by USENET, so I'm baffled
about how to pursue this.

I could sure use some help finding a email file server for this uucp-
only site.

des@ubbpc.UUCP (Donald E. Shope) (10/20/89)

In article <996@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
>In article <442@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>>There has been some good descriptions of how to access [ SIMTEL ].
>>I send mail to the server:    listserv@vm1.nodak.edu
>
>I tried it, and it does not work for me. I could sure use some help
>finding a email file server for this uucp-only site.

Me too. Please respond to the newsgroup so we can all benefit.

Thanks, Don Shope (burdvax!ubbpc!des)

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (11/02/89)

In article <996@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
> [concerning simtel]
>I tried it, and it does not work for me.  I get a "remote protocol error"
>message and some bounced mail.
>
>I could sure use some help finding a email file server for this uucp-
>only site.

Put the following in a file called 'getsimtel' (UNIX only I'm afraid)

============== snip snip ====================
#! /bin/sh
file=$HOME/.simrequest
if [ $# -ne 3 ]
then
	echo
	echo
	echo "Example: getsimtel pd1 msdos.filutil simibm.arc"
	exit
fi
echo "/PDGET MAIL $1:<$2>$3 (UUENCODE" > $file
mailx ncr-sd\!hp-sdd\!ucsd\!LISTSERV%VM1.NODAK.EDU < $file

========

You may need to change the mailer and mail path, but this works for me.
Note the files don't need to be upper case, SIMIBM.ARC == simibm.arc.

Now for my wish list on simtel.  When you make a mistake you get a message
back saying 'request garbled' or something, and a nice long help file
that says nothing useful.  How about changing things so it includes your
request so you know where you made the mistake?  Would be even nicer if
it would give an idea of where it crapped out when parsing the line.  It
took me 3-4 days (only 3 requests per day) to figure out how to get it
to work.

jim
"My life needs a rewind/erase button, and a volume control"