[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCSI disks?

ndeng@EULER.BERKELEY.EDU (10/26/89)

I read an ad in Micro Times, made by "Computer Surplus Store" (715 Sycamore Drive, Miltipas, CA) for som large SCSI disks. The ad reads

NEW 1/2H 5 1/4" CAST DRIVES

14406S 170MB SCSI      $700
14405S 140MB SCSI      $575

I thought the price is too cheap for a "new" drive. Did anybody have any
experience with this store or with this kind of drives? What is the seek time?
Are the drives, and, the shop, reliable?

woody@pawl.rpi.edu (Chris A. Widmann) (10/27/89)

In <8910260831.AA29247@euler.Berkeley.EDU> ndeng@EULER.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
>I read an ad in Micro Times, made by "Computer Surplus Store" (715 Sycamore Drive, Miltipas, CA) for som large SCSI disks. The ad reads
>
>NEW 1/2H 5 1/4" CAST DRIVES
>
>14406S 170MB SCSI      $700
>14405S 140MB SCSI      $575
>
>I thought the price is too cheap for a "new" drive. Did anybody have any
>experience with this store or with this kind of drives? What is the seek time?
>Are the drives, and, the shop, reliable?

  I just bought one of their New CAST 87meg ESDI drives for $375 and it
 seems to be refurbished. It works perfectly so far and I am rather pleased.
 The only problem is there are no docs on switch settings and no termination
 resistor came with the drive. The drive is actually a 75 meg, but I knew that
 beforehand from Western Digital's complete drive listing.

   Those 2 SCSI's you mentioned are both 25msec by the way.

--
 Chris Widmann (Woody)              "Tires spitting gravel, I commit my
 Internet: woody@pawl.rpi.edu        weekly crime......" -Rush

Will@cup.portal.com (Will E Estes) (11/02/89)

< I read an ad in Micro Times, made by "Computer Surplus Store" (715 Sycamore
< Drive, Miltipas, CA) for som large SCSI disks. The ad reads

< NEW 1/2H 5 1/4" CAST DRIVES

< 14406S 170MB SCSI      $700
< 14405S 140MB SCSI      $575

< I thought the price is too cheap for a "new" drive. Did anybody have any
< experience with this store or with this kind of drives? What is the seek time
?
< Are the drives, and, the shop, reliable?

My experience with this store is that if you try to sell them something they
offer you *very* little money.  They wanted to pay $1000 for a monochrome
Mac II with an 80 meg hard disk and PMMU chip.  It doesn't surprise me that
their merchandise is so competitively priced.  I do wonder who would be willing
 to sell to them for the prices they bid.