[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SCARY Monitor problem

harrison@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Gregory Harrison) (10/18/89)

My IBM PS/2 Color Monitor just ~sparked!  I heard what sounded like
an electric spark, and the screen blanked for a second.  The PC
didn't crash, but it sure was alarming!

Is this a common problem?  Do I need to call maintenance?  Did I
get zapped by X-rays?

Do yo think that it has something to do with the high static field
at the front of the tube?

Hope it's not going on the fritz.

Greg Harrison
My opinions ar not intended to express those of GE

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (10/20/89)

Greg,

   I wouldn't sweat it.  It was probably just a software bug that flew
too close to the high voltage circuitry and got zapped!  I wouldn't worry
too much about X-rays unless the film in the nearest camera is fogged. :<{)

Ken

weekley@oldcolo.UUCP (Bob Weekley) (10/23/89)

-
>In article <1954@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn

>Stone) writes:
>>Advice on this monitor problem would be appreciated.  The text undulates
>>back & forth.  It only sways a few mm, but it's visually disturbing.  I
>>tried swapping the monitor (IBM enhanced color display) and also
>>swapping the EGA card; it still does it.  It's actually quite nauseating
>>to watch.  Excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick.
>>
>>GD Stone

Seems like it's time to get out the aluminum foil (foiled again!)
Wrap the foil around the monitor, and ground the foil with an
alligator clip wire to the chassis of the machine.

Are you running your computer with the hood on? (the cover is a shield)
Is the computer itself well grounded?
Make sure all grounds go to a SINGLE POINT. This avoids GROUND LOOPS.

Let us know what you found, and how you fixed it.
----------------------
Robert R. Weekley @ oldcolo.UUCP
                             THE OLD COLORADO CITY ELECTRONIC COTTAGE
      | Standard |          2502 W. Colorado Ave. #203; C.S., CO 80904
      |Disclaimer|           (719) 632-3391 [8-N-1]; 632-4848 [voice]

  "Twenty years of schooling, and they put you on the day shift" -B. Dylan

-

kens@hplsla.HP.COM (Ken Snyder) (10/26/89)

> Seems like it's time to get out the aluminum foil (foiled again!)
> Wrap the foil around the monitor, and ground the foil with an
> alligator clip wire to the chassis of the machine.

  Since the problem is almost assuredly magnetic, foil won't help in the
least.  Where is the nearest disc drive?  Is your monitor sitting on your
computer?  That is the most likely cause of the problem, the magnetic
field from the disc drive motor.  It used to drive me nuts too.

Ken

eb2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Eric James Bales) (10/26/89)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.ibm.pc: 25-Oct-89 Re: SCARY Monitor
> problem Ken Snyder@hplsla.HP.COM (473)

> > Seems like it's time to get out the aluminum foil (foiled again!)
> > Wrap the foil around the monitor, and ground the foil with an
> > alligator clip wire to the chassis of the machine.

>   Since the problem is almost assuredly magnetic, foil won't help in the
> least.  Where is the nearest disc drive?  Is your monitor sitting on your
> computer?  That is the most likely cause of the problem, the magnetic
> field from the disc drive motor.  It used to drive me nuts too.

> Ken

  I also have this problem with my new monitor that was replaced only a
couple of weeks ago.  The new monitor sits in exactly the same position
as the old monitor, and is the same model and was made only two months
prior to my old monitor.  My old monitor did not have this problem.  The
new one does.  Why would the hard drive cause a problem with only one of
two identical monitors?

                                                        -Eric Kirkbride-

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (11/02/89)

Wavy monitors tend to be caused by changing magnetic fields near the screen.
For example, if I have my electric clock on the shelf above my CRT, then the
image wavers all over the place. If I move the clock up a foot, then the
problem goes away.

Now, if only I could get rid of this crick in my neck from straining to see
the clock.....

Michael Lampi
MDL Corporation

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com

jeh@simpact.com (11/03/89)

In article <21739@gryphon.COM>, lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:
> Wavy monitors tend to be caused by changing magnetic fields near the screen...

Yup.  I recently bought a nice new VGA-plus monitor, checked it and the new
VGA-plus card out at the store, and brought it home.  Worked fine.  Then it
started to waver... and then it stopped... repeat, ad nauseum (literally).

Drove me nuts until I happened to make a phone call from an old-style WE 2500
desk phone (which has many coils in a network in the base), which happened to
be newly perched on a shelf near the monitor... and heard AC hum.  It turns out
that the master power cables for the building (a four-unit townhouse) come
straight down through that particular wall, right behind the monitor (judging
by the hum)!  The hum in the phone and the waver in the screen came and went
with varying AC loads in the building.  Moving the phone away from the wall
stopped the hum, and moving the monitor away from the wall stopped the waver.

I traced a similar problem, also in a VGA-plus system, to ground loops.  There
was a difference of a few tenths of a volt between the chassis ground
potentials of the monitor and the computer (the latter as seen at the end of
the monitor video cable).  This of course caused an current flow in the shield
braid of the monitor cable, and may also have imposed a 60 Hz signal atop all
of the video and sync signals, exactly what they don't need.  Plugging the
monitor into the "monitor power" receptacle on the computer (instead of the
wall socket) helped some. I then got into the video cable and disconnected the
shield from the connector shell at the monitor end, and the waver disappeared
completely.

I'm sure looking forward to the day when we can get rid of that last vacuum
tube!

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh