[comp.sys.ibm.pc] What I/O space and/or Mem Space is being used by what

leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com (11/03/89)

Background:
	I have an older WYSE-2200 (286) that I am trying to bring back to life.
	(640K on MB, 8MHz, no 287)

Actions:
	Purchase 2MB RAM card and WD1003V-MM2 from CompuAdd.
	Salvage drive from old MASSComp box.
	Purchase 1.44M Floppy from CompuAdd.

Problem:
	1) Rom BIOS (Phoenix 1.49) does not support HD directly (used closest
	smaller drive type), nor the 1.44MB floppy (configured as 1.2 in the
	setup menu, using device=driver.sys /d:1 /f:7 ==> drive D=1.44MB).

	2) Can format D:, can not format B:.  Can read B:, can not read D:.

	3) CompuAdd RAM card defaults to C000, but can be changed via a config
	entry (device=ems40.sys /b=e000), io space can be set via DIP switches.

	4) With MEM in AT, system starts to boot, but does not execute the first
	config.sys entry (which is the floppy drive entry, which echoes to the
	screen its actions).  ==> assume conflict, therefore leave entry for
	MEM board, but do not leave board ... reboot & get error message from
	ems40.sys saying that there is not 64k of contiguous space for it to
	use ...

	The problem is that the AT hangs before it executes the config.sys, so
	there is no way for me to change the MEM address ... catch 22

ANY SUGGESTIONS?	thanks

Leo Hinds	leoh@hdw.harris.com	or	uunet!hcx1!hardy!leoh

leoh@hardy.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (11/03/89)

In article <1896@hcx1.UUCP> leoh@hardy.hdw.harris.com () writes:

>Background:
>	I have an older WYSE-2200 (286) that I am trying to bring back to life.
>	(640K on MB, 8MHz, no 287)

Sorry, I forgot to mention:
	MS-DOS 3.3