[comp.sys.ibm.pc] AT BIOS's supporting > 1024 cylinders

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (10/20/89)

	I'd like to replace the ROM BIOS in an IBM 339 AT with a different
(aftermarket) one that supports more than 1024 cylinders.  Can anyone tell
me whether the current Phoenix, Award, etc 286 AT BIOS's offer this support?
Comments on 386 versions would also be welcome.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */
Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828-4422

dgaulden@dcscg1.UUCP (David E. Gaulden) (10/23/89)

In article <1458@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:

>	I'd like to replace the ROM BIOS in an IBM 339 AT with a different
>(aftermarket) one that supports more than 1024 cylinders.  Can anyone tell
>me whether the current Phoenix, Award, etc 286 AT BIOS's offer this support?
>Comments on 386 versions would also be welcome.
>--

You might want to look into your fixed drive controller also, as they
usually don't support more than 1024 cylinders either.

I had a IBM 339 AT at one time and ran AWARD 3.02 BIOS (current is ver 3.03)
and it was compatable but not sure whether it supports > 1024 cylinders. Can
get back to you on that...
 IRL:Dave Gaulden                    |     "Man who says, 'It cannot be done',
     DCSC Columbus, Ohio             |      Should not interrupt man who is
     dgaulden@dcsc.dla.mil           |      doing it."

chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) (10/30/89)

In article <605@dcscg1.UUCP>, dgaulden@dcscg1.UUCP (David E. Gaulden) writes:

> You might want to look into your fixed drive controller also, as they
> usually don't support more than 1024 cylinders either.
>
> I had a IBM 339 AT at one time and ran AWARD 3.02 BIOS (current is ver 3.03)
> and it was compatable but not sure whether it supports > 1024 cylinders. Can
> get back to you on that...
> --

Well, I've worked with voice processing systems, using Maxtor 2190s, which
have 1224 cylinders. Award bios is used, drive type 25. I am not sure about
the version of Award Bios, but it does have the CNTL-ALT-ESC menu.

The voice system (Vynet) makes a special partition, which does go above
1024 cylinders.

Interesting thing though... I tried to do with with a Microport installation.
It seemed to work ok... until one day I filled up the disk enough to go
(apperently) above 1024 cyls. Suddenly, things went berzerk. Fdisk then
though I had 1-199 cyls in use (1224 - 1024?). I then used another disk
of the same type, creating a 1024 cyl. partition. Then copied the kernel
over and over until 0 blocks. no problem...

Anyway, I don't think the controller has any problems, cause I've seen it
done. I was thinking either the BIOS, but then thought it unlikely, since
there is a drive type supporting >1024 cyls. Could it be the partition
table? (unix) that gave me problems? Don't know...

Christopher A. Nielsen
//////////////////            Zorin Data Systems, Inc
           ////      P.O. Box 5669 Santa Monica, CA 90405-0669
        ////                    (213) 399-3804 x 45
     ////		     UUCP: randvax!zorin!info
  ////
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<  Zorin... "The Future On-Line"  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Howard.Spindel@f8.n30112.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (11/02/89)

> chris@zorin.UUCP (Christopher Nielsen) write:
> Date: 30 Oct 89 06:30:39 GMT
>
> Interesting thing though... I tried to do with with a
> Microport installation.
> It seemed to work ok... until one day I filled up the disk
> enough to go
> (apperently) above 1024 cyls. Suddenly, things went berzerk.
> Fdisk then
> though I had 1-199 cyls in use (1224 - 1024?). I then used
> another disk
> of the same type, creating a 1024 cyl. partition. Then
> copied the kernel
> over and over until 0 blocks. no problem...
>
> Anyway, I don't think the controller has any problems, cause
> I've seen it
> done. I was thinking either the BIOS, but then thought it
> unlikely, since
> there is a drive type supporting >1024 cyls. Could it be the
> partition
> table? (unix) that gave me problems? Don't know...
If your controller does not support > 1024 cylinders and your disk
has 1224 cylinders (which incidentally is the same Maxtor I use and
the same problem I encountered) what happens is that when your
software tries to access cylinders above 1024 the cylinder number
wraps mod 1024 and you wind up accessing cylinders 0-199 when you
wanted 1024-1223.  You then of course wind up trying to store two
sectors worth of information in a single sector.  It definitely
sounds like one of the sectors you overwrote was the partition table.
A controller which does not support > 1024 cylinders only has 10 bits
of cylinder address to play with and cannot generate a cylinder
address >= 1024.
Many of the original IBM AT with the WD1002 controller have this
problem.  I had to upgrade to a WD1003 to get my Maxtor drive to
work.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!30112!8!Howard.Spindel

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/03/89)

In article <1120.254FF5A5@busker.FIDONET.ORG> Howard.Spindel@f8.n30112.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:

>A controller which does not support > 1024 cylinders only has 10 bits
>of cylinder address to play with and cannot generate a cylinder
>address >= 1024.
>Many of the original IBM AT with the WD1002 controller have this
>problem.  I had to upgrade to a WD1003 to get my Maxtor drive to work.

Minor nit: you'll need the WD-1003A controller to get >1024 cylinder
                                  ^
capability.

kEITHe

PS -  Anyone want to buy (one or several) WD-1003-non-A controllers?

PPS - Just joking - I couldn't sell them 'cuz it would cost Tek more
      in paperwork than it's worth to unload these things.  Unless
      somebody wants to buy all seven of them at one shot...