[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help Installing ST4096 in AT

danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) (11/01/89)

	Hi there!  I've got a Seagate ST4096 drive that needs to be
installed in an IBM AT.  I am looking for some info regarding its
drive type so that I can partition and format it without using a
third party's partitioning software.  Is this even possible?  The
reason being that this AT will be running Microsoft Windows 2.11
most of the time and it would be nice to be able to use their
disk caching driver Smartdrv.sys (which causes problems with
partioning software such as SpeedStor).  ANY help and/or pointers
will be appreciated.

	BTW, the exact setup of the AT is as follows:

		512K on the motherboard (8 mhz)
		2048 expanded memory vi an Above Board
		ATI VIP VGA card
		Microsoft Mouse

	Thanks in advance !!

Danny Lee
danny@garnet.berkeley.edu
(415) 548-2173

dgaulden@dcscg1.UUCP (David E. Gaulden) (11/02/89)

In article <1989Nov1.115806.12645@agate.berkeley.edu> danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee) writes:

>	Hi there!  I've got a Seagate ST4096 drive that needs to be
>installed in an IBM AT.  I am looking for some info regarding its
>drive type so that I can partition and format it without using a
>third party's partitioning software....
>
>Danny Lee
>danny@garnet.berkeley.edu
>(415) 548-2173

ST4096

       UNFORMATTED CAPACITY (MB) ________________96.0
       FORMATTED CAPACITY (17 SECTORS) (MB) _____80.2
       ACTUATOR TYPE ____________________________VOICE COIL
       TRACKS ___________________________________9,216
       CYLINDERS ________________________________1,024
       HEADS ____________________________________9
       DISCS ____________________________________5
       MEDIA TYPE _______________________________THIN FILM
       RECORDING METHOD _________________________MFM
       TRANSFER RATE (mbits/sec) ________________5.0
       INTERFACE ________________________________ST412
       TPI (TRACKS PER INCH) ____________________1,031
       BPI (BITS PER INCH) ______________________9,792
       AVERAGE ACCESS (ms) ______________________28
       SINGLE TRACK SEEK (ms) ___________________6
       MTBF (power-on hours) ____________________40,000
       POWER REQUIREMENTS: +12V START-UP (amps) _4.0
                           +12V TYPICAL (amps) __1.3**
                           +5V TYPICAL (amps) ___1.3
                           TYPICAL (watts) ______23**
                           MAXIMUM (watts) ______55
       BUFFERED STEP PULSE RATE (micro sec) _____3-70
       WRITE PRECOMP (cyl) ______________________N/A (1025)
       REDUCED WRITE CURRENT (cyl) ______________N/A (1025)
       LANDING ZONE (cyl)________________________AUTO PARK
       IBM AT DRIVE TYPE ________________________35 or 12*

       *MAY REQUIRE PARTITIONING SOFTWARE
       **1.5 amps/25 watts FOR 2-BOARD ST4096 ONLY

 IRL:Dave Gaulden                    |     "Man who says, 'It cannot be done',
     DCSC Columbus, Ohio             |      Should not interrupt man who is
     dgaulden@dcsc.dla.mil           |      doing it."

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (11/03/89)

From article <1989Nov1.115806.12645@agate.berkeley.edu>, by danny@garnet.berkeley.edu (Danny Lee):

> 	Hi there!  I've got a Seagate ST4096 drive that needs to be
> installed in an IBM AT.  I am looking for some info regarding its
> drive type so that I can partition and format it without using a
> third party's partitioning software.  Is this even possible?  The
> reason being that this AT will be running Microsoft Windows 2.11
> most of the time and it would be nice to be able to use their
> disk caching driver Smartdrv.sys (which causes problems with
> partioning software such as SpeedStor).  ANY help and/or pointers
> will be appreciated.

You're going to have some problems if you do not want to use 3rd
party software to handle it.  The st4096 has 9 heads, 1024 cyl.,
and a standard formatted capacity of 80 meg.  The closest you
can come to that setup on an old style AT with 14 drive types
is type 8 which means you will loose disk space.  On the IBM
CMOS setup chart for drives on the IBM will not handle the drive.
Some of the other BIOS's may handle it directly.  I have an st4096
in my AT and am using Disk Manager and have had no problems with
any of the other software that I want to run.  It will not run
under OS/2 though.

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The Bit Chaser
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)