[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Backup Program

raphael@hpisoa2.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) (06/22/88)

If you convert to Turbo Pascal 4, you can do what you want with the
new "exec" function-- execute an arbitrary DOS program (COM, EXE, or
BAT) with a specified argument string.

Conversion from Turbo Pascal 3 is somewhat painful if you have a large,
complicated program with overlays and chain files, but worth it for
the resulting much nicer development environment and higher speed.

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (06/28/88)

Lest the net think I have forgotten my backup project, I have not.  Now that
I am back to work, progress is slower than I would like on the backup program.

The data base is mostly laid out, user interface is pretty much conceptually
done (actual details yet to be worked out.  my goal is flexibility, but I have
a feeling that the first version won't have all the bells and whistles I want),
and the code I needed to read directories and to execute a subshell is in hand
(thanks to all who replied).

So, for all you waiting for it, hang on its in the works, I have not abandoned
the project, its just going slower than I had anticipated (surprise :-).

"Real Soon Now", as they say.  (RSN is a very precise term, in computerland.
It means "Oh, about 3 days after H*** freezes over", or alternatively, "Next year,
maybe".  Fortunately I doubt seriously that RSN is appropriate in this case, as
I need the program as badly as anybody!)

-----
    Rusty Carruth	N7IKQ	DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
    Cadnetix Corp.		UUCP:   cadnetix!rusty
    5775 Flatiron Pkwy.	        	{uunet,boulder,nbires}!cadnetix!rusty
    Boulder, CO 80301		(303) 444-8075

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (07/03/88)

In article <1100003@hpisoa2.HP.COM> raphael@hpisoa2.HP.COM (Bert Raphael) writes:
|If you convert to Turbo Pascal 4, you can do what you want with the
|new "exec" function-- execute an arbitrary DOS program (COM, EXE, or
|BAT) with a specified argument string.

Be careful with this function.  I've found that in some instances it
can cause memory errors and crash the machine.  It's probably best to
exec COMMAND.COM with /C to exec your program.  A kludge, I know, but
it does fix that problem.  If anyone wants to know more about the
specific errors I was getting, email and I'll send you a description.
I haven't tried reproducing it under different circumstances, although
I should have.

|Conversion from Turbo Pascal 3 is somewhat painful if you have a large,
|complicated program with overlays and chain files, but worth it for
|the resulting much nicer development environment and higher speed.

Ditto.  Its optimizations (mostly dead code removal and constant
folding) also make things smaller.  If you have a million .INC files
that you use to provide functions (like I do), making them into units
will make your life so much easier....

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (11/03/89)

I have been asked to unarchive some backup disks from a third party.  The
person did not know what backup program was used to make the archives.
The files are kept visible in the directory, and there is an additional
file named backupid.@@@.  Does anybody recognize this format?

THanks in advance

rwp@cup.portal.com

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (11/04/89)

In article <23648@cup.portal.com> rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) writes:
>The files are kept visible in the directory, and there is an additional
>file named backupid.@@@.  Does anybody recognize this format?

Yes, I recognize it!  It is a backup created by DOS's BACKUP utility.

See your (un)friendly local DOS manual for how to use the RESTORE command.

Good luck!

Fred