[comp.sys.ibm.pc] wordperfect 5.0 and alignment

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (10/31/89)

Sorry...mail to you bounced so I hope you see it here.

To: finn@nec.mojo.com
In article <191@mojo.UUCP> you write:
>I am having the hardest time getting hard copies from WP 5.0 that look
>the way I want them. I think it has to do with alignment, but I can't
>figure it out. The reveal codes tell me nothing, and the WP Corp. so
>called "Hot" line remains cold (busy). Maybe some of you "netters" can
>help me. The main problem is that the text looks nice and aligned on the
>screen, but the printout is completely mis-aligned. When I run the cursor
>to the beginning of each line, it shows different positions on the line
>(example: 2.46 and 3.23) even though they are straight under eachother on
>the screen. I tried to "cheat," and delete and add spaces, but it is not
>possible to hit the exact same value from line to line, since it jumps .08
>or something like that every keystroke.
>It seems as if the spaces and the actual letters take up different amounts
>of room on the line. Please tell me this is not true!
>If you think you can help, please E-mail or post as soon as possible - I'm
>going crazy, and I'm starting to miss Professional Write (Yes - it's getting
>serious folks!).
I have the same problem. Couple of pointers for you:
1-Don't use soft spaces unless absolutely necessary.
2-Try using the right align function for better alignment
3-yes, the spaces/letters take different amounts of room, known
  as proportional spacing
4-When you say seeing it on the screen, I assume you mean view document
  mode as opposed to editing the document.

We were going OUT OF OUR MINDS as well until we discovered right align.
Also- WP 5.0 is very printer sensitive.
      We started with POSTSCRIPT on our NEC LC890 but gave up TOOOOOOOO SSSLLLOOOWWW.
      Switched to laserjet mode (after converting documents!) and now 10-20x faster.
      BEWARE OF POSTSCRIPT mode.

let me know if I answered your question.
joec@morgan.com

mikek@col.hp.com (Mike Karin) (11/03/89)

Another thing that you might try is the Advance Position Feature.
It can be found under FORMAT (Shift f8), Other(4), Advance(1).
I have used the Advance to Position feature to do what you want
while using proportional fonts and it works great!

Mike Karin
Hewlett-Packard CO.
Colorado Springs Division
mikek@hp-col.col.hp.com

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (11/04/89)

To: finn@nec.mojo.com
Subject: WordPerfect formatting-- you can do it with tabs.

Hi!

	I just read your reply about the problem with WP and trying to
line up the :'s.  You can however do this with tabs, even if there is an
uneven number of spaces bewteen the letters.  The advantage of doing it with
tabs is that you can use a proportional font, and also change font, margins
etc.  I do this all the time when working with tables.   As I remeber it
your example was similar to this:

	xxx : xxxx xxxx xxx x  x
	z   : zzz zzzzz zz zzzzzz

	The way that you would be able to fix this is as follows:

	You change the tab settings so that there is only one tab setting
from the left margin to the first place that you would like to line up a
charachter.  It MUST be higher on the page than the table.  If you have multiple
charachters you need to line up, you simply clear all tabs, and then only set
a tab (an "L" in 5.0 if I remeber right) at each point you want a column to
start.

	Then you would type in "xxx" OR "z" and hit one tab.  Your cursor will
advance to the position that you have defined, and you will be able to
continue from there.  It works a lot better than spaces, especially since you
can than change the alignment of the columns etc. by goin up, deleting the
code for the tab change, and making a new one.  You can also simply type in
you table with a singe tab between items, and then clear all tabs, and insert
a tab at each point where the longest text ends plus a few spaces.  This will
then line everything up for you.

	Sorry if the above is confusing, but it is easier to do than to
explain!  Also turn justification off, at least for the area you are working on,
so that you don't have problems with that.  Again, use your tabs, it is
possible, and in the long run much much easier, especially if you change font
or printers. And Courier is boring anyway!  :-)

Mark
markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu