[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Micronics 33Mhz 386, 386MAX, Shadow memory question

morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) (11/04/89)

Has anyone tried reclaiming the 384k of unused shadow memory on this board??
386MAX has an option that says it can reclaim 384k of the shadow memory on
compaq and micronics boards.
I called Tech support at Micronics and they said the 384K was lost if shadowing
was disabled. What is the truth, has someone tried it and actually reclaimed
any of that, otherwise wasted, memory??

I need to know before committing to either an AMI or Micronics 33Mhz board.
--
Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris@dms.UUCP
           Atari Games Corporation, Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

slin@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Steven Philip Lin) (11/04/89)

In article <863@dms.UUCP> morris@dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) writes:
>Has anyone tried reclaiming the 384k of unused shadow memory on this board??
>386MAX has an option that says it can reclaim 384k of the shadow memory on
>compaq and micronics boards.
>I called Tech support at Micronics and they said the 384K was lost if shadowing
>was disabled. What is the truth, has someone tried it and actually reclaimed
>any of that, otherwise wasted, memory??

Yes 386MAX will recover the 384k of unused memory.  There's some command
that tells 386max that the computer has this extra memory and that you would
like it to recover it.  Before you can do this, however, you must disable
shadow memory.  There's a switch on the main motherboard that lets you disable
shadow memory (that is, relocation of bios to this 384k of memory).  This
may seem bad that you have to disable shadow memory to recover the 384k but
it isn't because 386max will relocate the bios for you.  It will probably
relocate it to a different memory location but that doesn't matter.  The point
is that you won't lose the performance that shadow memory normally give you.

By the way, I also hear that Quarterdeck, manufacturer of Desqview, is comming
out with a new version of QEMM that will also recover the top 384k of unused
memory.  This is real good since I, too, own a Micronics and regret not
being able to use the top 384k.