[comp.sys.ibm.pc] How to Type Degree Character

terrell@cadnetix.COM (11/02/89)

How does one type in characters on a PC that aren't visible on the
keyboard?

I want to type in the degree symbol (you know - the little circle).  I'm
using SPRINT, but perhaps there's an application-independent way to do
this?

I know that the PC will print the degree symbol to the screen, and on a
printer, because I've moved files over from my Atari ST containing the
degree symbol, and they look fine on the screen and on the printer.

If there's a chart of all the "special" characters and the associated
keystrokes, I'd love to get hold of it.  I'd be happy to send a SASE...

P.S. I did RTFM!

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell

kipnis@janus.Berkeley.EDU (Gary Kipnis) (11/02/89)

In article <10142@cadnetix.COM> terrell@cadnetix.COM () writes:

>How does one type in characters on a PC that aren't visible on the
>keyboard?

While holding down 'Alt' key type in the ASCII value of the character on
the NUMERIC KEYPAD, NOT USING NUMBERS ON THE TOP ROW, when you release
the 'Alt' key the character should appear.

gary

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (11/04/89)

In article <10142@cadnetix.COM> terrell@cadnetix.COM () writes:
$How does one type in characters on a PC that aren't visible on the
$keyboard?

1.  Look up the IBM PC ASCII code for the character
2.  Type in this number while continuously holding down the Alt key.

   This will always generate the character; now you just have to hope
that your application program knows what to do with it.

--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";