[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Two Hard Disk Controllers in One Machine

Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (10/25/89)

Has anyone installed two hard disk controllers (one MFM and one
either SCSI or ESDI) in a single IBM AT under DOS?  Is this even
possible or do the port addresses conflict?  What software drivers
are needed to make it work?

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation!
Usenet:     Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Fidonet:    1:105/14.8

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (10/26/89)

In article <1092.25455B8D@busker.FIDONET.ORG>, Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
> Has anyone installed two hard disk controllers (one MFM and one
> either SCSI or ESDI) in a single IBM AT under DOS?  Is this even
> possible or do the port addresses conflict?  What software drivers
> are needed to make it work?

I have a standard WD 2:1 interleave DF/DH MFM controller and a SCSI HD card.
I have to access the SCSI drive through a device driver. The performance
of the entire system is pretty poor. The MFM is driving a ST-225 sloooow
(90 ms) hard disk. The SCSI card is a WD FASST-ATXT card driving a ST-296N.
I get 230 Kbyte/sec transfer on the ST-225 and 56 Kbyte/sec transfer on the
ST-296N. My computer is a 25 MHz 386 run DOS 3.3.

The way things are set up I have to boot off of the ST-225 (Drive C:) I
originally was going to put the ST-225 in another computer when I upgraded
to the ST-296N but I can't boot off of the ST-296N with the MFM controller
(which I need for my floppy drives).

The fact that I'm accessing the ST296N through a device driver causes problems
with some hard disk utilities (SPINRITE and CORETEST) that keep them from
acknowledging the drive :-( I also cannot cache my ST296N :-(((

All in all, I'm quite disapointed in my system. The ST296N has gotten a lot
coverage recently as to its poor performance - It deserves it! The WD
FASST-ATXT card might be faster without the device driver, but it sure stinks
with it.
--
Scott Bostater      GTRI/RAIL/RAD   (Ga. Tech)
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1

In article <2780@hydra.gatech.EDU>, bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) writes:

|  All in all, I'm quite disapointed in my system. The ST296N has gotten a lot
|  coverage recently as to its poor performance - It deserves it! The WD
|  FASST-ATXT card might be faster without the device driver, but it sure stinks
|  with it.

  I don't blame you for being upset by that performance, but I think the
device drive is to blame. People were unhappy with 400-500kb/s when they
knew they might have double that. 56kb/s is not acceptable. Time for a
new drive or something!
that the world is flat!" - anon

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/27/89)

In article <1092.25455B8D@busker.FIDONET.ORG> Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) writes:
>Has anyone installed two hard disk controllers (one MFM and one
>either SCSI or ESDI) in a single IBM AT under DOS?  Is this even
>possible or do the port addresses conflict?  What software drivers
>are needed to make it work?
>
>Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation!
>Usenet:     Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>Fidonet:    1:105/14.8
>

>--
>Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
>	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!14.8!Howard.Spindel
>	    ARPA: Howard.Spindel@p8.f14.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG

   In my experience, the problem is not one of software.

   Rather, you have to buy at least one controller that is sufficiently
intelligent to be addressed as the secondary controller in the system.
For example, the old Western Digital WX-1 would do that (address as the
second controller is you wanted). It was MFM by the way. I don't think
they still make it.

   Anyway, that's what you have to do. Find either one controller
or the other that will settle for second-addressing. I'm sorry that
I can't offer you any leads on what brands/models will satisfy
your needs.

   Hope I've helped...

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/28/89)

In article <1485@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
 >People were unhappy with 400-500kb/s when they
 >knew they might have double that. 56kb/s is not acceptable. Time for a
 >new drive or something!

Please don't forget that data transfer rate is heavily influenced by
lots of factors, including track-to-track seek time, and the interleave
factor.  I had a drive interleaved at 3 in my (XT-class 8MHz) machine;
it would only give a transfer rate of 25K/sec, according to CORETEST.
I reformatted it with an interleave of 4, and the transfer rate went up
to 130K/sec, over a tenfold increase.

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) (10/29/89)

>   In my experience, the problem is not one of software.
>
>   Rather, you have to buy at least one controller that is sufficiently
>intelligent to be addressed as the secondary controller in the system.

Have you actually done this, or is this conjecture?  I have serious doubts
that any flavor of MS-DOS will bother to look for a second controller.

---------------
Bill Kuykendall
Chicago, IL USA
 ...!point!wek
wek@point.UUCP

In article <[2769.4]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP>, wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:

|  Have you actually done this, or is this conjecture?  I have serious doubts
|  that any flavor of MS-DOS will bother to look for a second controller.

  I haven't looked at this recently, but MS-DOS doesn't look for a 1st
controller. The ROM BIOS looks for a magic byte pattern in the space
from (roughly) A000:0 up. If it find the pattern it jumps to the ROM at
that location. This is how video cards, disk controllers, etc, are
located. If a 2nd controller can relocate it's BIOS so it doesn't
interfere with the first, and is in the right place, then it should
work.

  This has nothing at all to do with DOS, note that an IBM PC will come
up in BASIC with no disk. Obviously it found the video adaptor... If
your system doesn't have ROM BASIC it will do something else, like tell
you to insert a disk.

that the world is flat!" - anon

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/04/89)

#
# |  Have you actually done this, or is this conjecture?  I have serious doubts
# |  that any flavor of MS-DOS will bother to look for a second controller.
Many more machines than you might think..
Anytime you add a hard-disk card to a box with an existing
controller....
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (11/04/89)

In article <[2769.4]comp.ibmpc;1@point.UUCP> wek@point.UUCP (Bill Kuykendall) writes:
>>   In my experience, the problem is not one of software.
>>
>>   Rather, you have to buy at least one controller that is sufficiently
>>intelligent to be addressed as the secondary controller in the system.
>
>Have you actually done this, or is this conjecture?  I have serious doubts
>that any flavor of MS-DOS will bother to look for a second controller.
>
>---------------
>Bill Kuykendall
>Chicago, IL USA
> ...!point!wek
>wek@point.UUCP

    I was talking with Western Digital at one point (their tech support,
that is) about putting a second controller in my PC. They were telling
me that it would take a controller, such as the WD 1002S-WX1, that could
be set to address as the second controller in the system.

    Since the compute in question at the time was an ANCIENT IBM PC-1
with only five slots...all in use....it became rather moot.

    I'd suppose the feat could be accomplished either with software
or hardware. I only have information about the hardware end of it,
so someone else will have to pipe up on the software end.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

DISCLAIMER: The above message constitutes an honest effort by the author
            to impart information he knows or reasonably knows to be
            true. All other interpretations are erroneous.