[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TeX

bobc@tikal.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <653@uw-warp.UUCP> dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (Dennis Gentry) writes:
>I don't think TeX is public domain.  And I don't think there are
>multiple authors, at least not for the single program "TeX," which was
>written by Donald E. Knuth....

TeX is not exactly public domain, but it is very close.  The code is
free and you can do anything you want with it except that if you give
anyone a part of the source you must give them all of the source.
There are no general restrictions and what you can do with the TeX
program as generated by the source.  I feel that $600 is too much for
the general TeX program, but then that is not what they should be
charging for anyway.  The $600 also gives you the support tools to use
TeX as a application on the Mac.  $600 is I feel a little steep, and I
would like to see a version of TeX that runs under MPW as a tool (and
then a "TeX previewer" could also be written as a tool).  The reason
for using MPW is that it is a very (maybe not perfect) editor which
can easily be extended (via MPW tools).

Disclaimer: I have never seen TeXtures, or any of the other Mac ports
of TeX.  All my comments are based on the following note that is with
the distribution of TeX that I have access to.

The rules for copying are:

This tape contains TeX82, version 1.5.  The original copy was written
on Wed Jan 8 09:53:10 PST 1986

This file is ./tex82/COPYING.POLICY

[several reasons for the policy... Deleted to save space]

Our requirements for redistributed copies are therefore as follows:

1.  Copies must be complete.  All files appearing on this tape must
also be provided on the copy.  If any changes have been made to any of
the files, these changes must be identified in a separate notice.  A
complete list of all files on this tape is found at the end of this
notice.

2.  The file containing this notice (./tex82/COPYING.POLICY), the file
./tex82/README, and the file ./tex82/SCORE-README must be included,
unchanged, in all copies.

3.  Sites receiving copies from you must be made aware of the copyright
restrictions on parts of the distribution.  The TeX source of the TeXBook
is included in the distribution.  Since it is copyrighted by the American
Mathematical Society (1983) and has been published by Addison-Wesley,
you may not reproduce the TeXbook in any way.  The source is
intended to be used only to help you test your TeX port.

4.  You may not charge a fee for making the copy.

Relevant addresses are as follows:

                     (Unix TeX Site Coordinators)
	Richard Furuta			Pierre MacKay
	Computer Science		Computer Science, FR-35
	University of Maryland		University of Washington
	College Park, MD 20740		Seattle, WA  98195

                          (TeX Users Group)
		TeX Users Group
		c/o American Mathematical Society
		P.O. Box 6248
		Providence, Rhode Island  02940
Bob Campbell
Teltone Corporation		18520 - 66th AVE NE
P.O. Box 657			Seattle, WA 98155
Kirkland, WA 98033

bobc@tikal.teltone.com
{amc,dataio,fluke,hplsla,sunup,uw-beaver}!tikal!bobc
tikal!bobc@beaver.cs.washington.EDU

munson@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (01/30/87)

I have lost track of who originally complained about the cost of
Addison-Wesley's version of TeX, but it is to him and the other
folks who complain about the high service charges/profits for
public domain and free distribution programs that I wish to respond.

I don't understand why you think operations like Addison-Wesley are
doing something wrong when they ask a high price for a product like TeX.
I can think of many reasons that $600 is a fair price, from a business
standpoint.  However, it's quite possible that A-W is clearing $250
a unit and laughing all the way to the bank.  I think Apple has a
profit margin that approaches that level on the Mac+.

Personally, that doesn't bother me at all.  A-W is not a public trust.
They are a profit-motivated enterprise and if they make lots of profit
that's good for them.  If their price for TeX is too high for me, I
won't buy it.  I don't think they owe me a copy at the price I
consider "right".  Am I missing something?  It seems to me that Knuth
is a man of great intelligence who would have made his copyright
tighter if he had wanted to prevent someone from charging prices that
high.  Therefore, I presume that the current situation doesn't
violate his wishes.

If you really want a cheaper version, you might write A-W, telling
them what price you would buy it at.  That probably won't do much
unless you get lots of others to do the same.  You could also
encourage others to write cheaper versions.

I guess I get a sense of moral outrage from these comments on price of
software.  I don't understand it because I don't think we were
promised "fair" prices.

Ethan Munson
munson@ernie.berkeley.edu

kishore2@watdcsu.UUCP (02/02/87)

I was always under the impression that the main portion of the cost was
for the drivers and not for TeX itself.  If I'm mistaken perhaps someone
could correct me on this?

turnera@hubcap.UUCP (Allen Turner) (07/22/87)

	We are in the process of evaluating two different pc implementations
of TEX as an alternative to our existing technical word processing system.
We like the packages but there is a notable lack of documentation with these
packages aimed at the novice.  We have been using the TEXbook to get started
but we feel that it is really intended as a reference and is not a good
choice for beginners.  Are there any good books, other than the TEXbook, LaTEX
book etc.,  aimed at introducing beginners to TEX without delving to deeply
into all of TEX's capabilities?  We feel that we need to have such a book
available if TEX is ever going to be widely used here.

Many thanks,

Allen Turner

David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com (07/25/87)

Two good introductory booklets on TeX are:

First Grade TeX: A Beginner's Manual by Arthur L. Samuel
Stanford Dept. of Computer Science
November 1983, Report No. STAN-CS-83-985

CalTeX: Using TeX With The Plain Macro Package, etc.
by Daniel M. Zirin, Chemistry Computing Services, Caltech
$10.00  email to Zar@citchem.bitnet

An Introduction to LaTeX, by Michael Urban, is available through
the TeX Users Group, P.O. Box 9506, Providence, RI  02940
(401) 272-9500, x 232

I am writing a similar, but more comprehensive beginner's manual

for LaTeX.

David J. Buerger
dbuerger@scu.bitnet
...!psuvax!scu.bitnet!dbuerger (uucp)

andersnb@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Brian Anderson) (11/10/87)

	A while ago I saw a posting by someone asking about "common Tex".  I
have been looking for a copy of Tex for my pc for some time, but have
been unsuccesful.  The posting mentioned sources!  Is this common Tex
public domain?  If it is would someone mail me a copy of the sources.  If
it is a commercial product, where do I write to get information?

	Thanks

Brian G. Anderson						     |
NYU Ultracomputer Research Project				    |||
715 Broadway  Rm. 1006						   |||||
New York, NY  10003						   |||||
(212) 998-3346							--- //\ ---
arpa:	andersnb@cmcl2						----/ \----
uucp:	{ihnp4,seismo}!cmcl2!andersnb				----   ----

rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) (03/05/89)

I have some questions about TeX for pc's.  First of all, is it available?
Next if it is available, is it in the public domain.  If it is in the public
domain is there somewhere where I can ftp a copy from, or is there at least
somewhere where i could get fonts for it via ftp.

Any information that you could give me would be greatly appreciated!
Ross Niebergall
Department of Mathematics
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN
rsn@ndmath.uucp

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (03/06/89)

In article <1324@ndmath.UUCP>, rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
> I have some questions about TeX for pc's.  First of all, is it available?
> Next if it is available, is it in the public domain.  If it is in the public
> domain is there somewhere where I can ftp a copy from, or is there at least
> somewhere where i could get fonts for it via ftp.

I know that there are also commercial versions available, but I've had
success using SBTeX.  It's available from SIMTEL20 as
PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>SBTEX.ARC.  Fonts are available from science.utah.edu
(118.110.192.2); there should be some sort of info file which tells
you exactly where to find the relevant files.

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (03/06/89)

In article <1324@ndmath.UUCP> rsn@ndmath.UUCP (Ross Niebergall) writes:
>I have some questions about TeX for pc's.  First of all, is it available?
>Next if it is available, is it in the public domain.  If it is in the public
>domain is there somewhere where I can ftp a copy from, or is there at least
>somewhere where i could get fonts for it via ftp.

There are two free versions of TeX generally available for MSDOS.  They
are called DosTeX and SBTeX.  Both are ftp'able from simtel20.army.mil
[26.0.0.74], in pd1:<msdos.tex>.  I've used both extensively, so I
recommend that you probably want SBTeX.  (even if you did want
DosTeX, the version on simtel is sadly not the newest one)

SBTeX is two to three times faster (!) than DosTeX.  It also uses ~50%
less memory, which is significant if you are LaTeXing large documents,
you have less than 640K, or you can't live without your favorite TSRs.

After you have TeX, you'll want an output driver, and fonts.  You can get
these from science.utah.edu [128.110.192.2].  aps:<tex.dvi> has source
for drivers for many laser-printers.  aps:<tex.cm> has font-metric and
packed-pixel files at many magnifications 200dpi, 240dpi and 300dpi
resolutions.

DosTeX comes with fonts and a driver for epson dot-matrix printers.

SBTeX comes with a CGA previewer.

DVIVGA is a previewer for EGA and VGA displays.  It is available in
both source and executable form (with fonts) from b.scs.uiuc.edu [??]

This is just a thumbnail sketch of what's available.  Naturally, you'll
have to ftp to each of these sites and peruse the appropriate `readme'
files and documentation to figure out how to use all of this stuff.
But rest assured, there is a lot of high-quality, freely available
TeXware for DOS.

-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu

sridhar@usceast.UUCP (M. A. Sridhar) (03/07/89)

In article <1795@uwovax.uwo.ca> 16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) writes:

>I know that there are also commercial versions available, but I've had
>success using SBTeX.  It's available from SIMTEL20 as
>PD1:<MSDOS.TEX>SBTEX.ARC.  Fonts are available from science.utah.edu
>(118.110.192.2); there should be some sort of info file which tells
>you exactly where to find the relevant files.

I obtained SBTeX from Simtel20. It seems as if one cannot build preloaded
versions of TeX and LaTeX from SBTeX. Is this true? How much of a time penalty
is involved when using such non-preloaded versions? If not, how do I build
preloaded versions from SBTeX?

--
M. A. Sridhar                  |
Department of Computer Science | ncr-sd!ncrcae ! usceast!sridhar (USENET)

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (03/08/89)

In article <2735@usceast.UUCP> sridhar@usceast.UUCP (M. A. Sridhar) writes:
>I obtained SBTeX from Simtel20. It seems as if one cannot build preloaded
>versions of TeX and LaTeX from SBTeX. Is this true? How much of a time penalty
>is involved when using such non-preloaded versions? If not, how do I build
>preloaded versions from SBTeX?

No you can't preload with SBTeX, but my experience has been that SBTeX
is so fast that it's not worth worrying about any time-penalty.  SBTeX
loads quickly because of its small-size, and because the .fmt files are
designed for rapid loading.  There's a disk-space bonus in that you
need only one copy of sbtex for use with any of your .fmt files.  I use
plain.fmt, latex.fmt, and my own hacked gmplain.fmt.

I use the MKS toolkit and have these aliases in ksh:

alias tex 'sbtex \&plain'
alias latex 'sbtex \&lplain'
alias gmtex 'sbtex \&gmplain'

If you don't use MKS, you can always create batch file `tex.bat' like so:

sbtex &plain %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9

Don't be put off by SBTeX's lack of preloading.  It's so good,
it doesn't need it!

-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu

jiang@cvl.umd.edu (Sunny Songnian Jiang) (03/10/89)

I ftp'ed science.utah.edu and found out there was no such files called
<tex.dvi> or <tex.cm>, nor such directories.
Does anyone out there know what is my problem? Please drop me a mail.

jiang@cvl.umd.edu

avogel@ms.uky.edu (Andrew Lee Vogel) (10/26/89)

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but ..., where is the
latest greatest version of TeX for msdos, including a
previewer for a vga monitor hopefully.
Please reply directly to me, I am in need of an ftp address of course.
Thanks

CFC2@PSUVM.BITNET (Carl F. Cotner) (11/05/89)

I know this question is asked all the time, but I never see an answer
posted: where can I get a good public domain TeX?

Carl.