[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RLL drives formatted MFM?

gjh@galen.acc.virginia.edu (Galen Hekhuis) (11/02/89)

Has anyone successfully run an RLL (specifically a Seagate 238) with an
MFM format?  Is this the something I should have learned in kindergarten?
I already know it is fairly dumb, and probably not a Recommended Idea, but
is it possible?

--
Galen Hekhuis  UVa Health Sciences Center  Box 449, Jordan Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22908  (804)982-1646   gjh@virginia.edu

jca@pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) (11/03/89)

gjh@galen.acc.virginia.edu (Galen Hekhuis) writes:
>Has anyone successfully run an RLL (specifically a Seagate 238) with an
>MFM format?  Is this the something I should have learned in kindergarten?
>I already know it is fairly dumb, and probably not a Recommended Idea, but
>is it possible?

Not only is it dumb, but it will invalidate the ST238's warranty.  With
respect to Seagate drives, you had better format it with the data encoding
method that it was designed for or you will run into problems.

In principle, any RLL drive should be able to handle MFM since it is less
taxing on the media and the circuitry, but in Seagate's case they design the
drive so there is a chance that if you format it the wrong way it might ruin
or damage the drive.  If you MFM format that ST238, it won't quite be the same
when you go and RLL format it as it should be.

 /*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*
  * Flames: /dev/null (on my Minix partition)
  * ARPA  : crash!pnet01!jca@nosc.mil
  * INET  : jca@pnet01.cts.com
  * UUCP  : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca
  * Note  : My opinions are that...mine.  My boss doesn't pay me enough to
  *         speak in the best interests of the company (yet).
  *--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/03/89)

gjh@galen.acc.virginia.edu (Galen Hekhuis) writes:

>Has anyone successfully run an RLL (specifically a Seagate 238) with an
>MFM format?  Is this the something I should have learned in kindergarten?

Uh oh, now you're really in for it!. :-) :-)

I'm sure someone will be happy to *EMAIL* all the relevant information to
you since you must be a new account and probably missed the EXTENSIVE coverage
of this topic this month.

To those others who only post to a newsgroup when some question pops up
but never read it in the interim:  Be aware that is considered an
extreme insult to those who labor long just to keep up with the news
let alone those who share so freely of the wealth of knowledge that exists
in the collective genius that is this forum.

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

"...I turn to my computer       | I press Execute...
 And spend my evenings with it  | `Hello, I know that you've been feeling tired,
 Like a friend.                 | I bring you love and deeper understanding.
 I was loading a new program    | Hello, I know that you're unhappy,
 I had ordered from a magazine. | I bring you love and deeper understanding.'"

                                   KATE BUSH, from the album _The_Sensual_World_

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (11/04/89)

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) writes:

>gjh@galen.acc.virginia.edu (Galen Hekhuis) writes:

>>Has anyone successfully run an RLL (specifically a Seagate 238) with an
>>MFM format?  Is this the something I should have learned in kindergarten?

>Uh oh, now you're really in for it!. :-) :-)

>I'm sure someone will be happy to *EMAIL* all the relevant information to
>you since you must be a new account and probably missed the EXTENSIVE coverage
>of this topic this month.

Uh oh, now *I'm* really in for it!  How I didn't recognize Galen's name can
only be stocked up to the odd hour.  Actually, he was asking about something
quite different which a CAREFUL reading would have revealed.  There was no
personal slight intended but he is certainly due a public apology from me for
the implications of my post.  Done!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

gjh@galen.acc.virginia.edu (Galen Hekhuis) (11/05/89)

}
[...]
}--
}Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

Hey, thanks -- and no offense taken.  Also thanks for the note saying
you had in fact actually done just this, and it neither caused the
hurricane in SC or the earthquake in CA, although manufacturers
routinely predict such results (although the examples are a bit on
the extreme side).  Thanks for the folks that responded that they
had tried such a thing, and that there is seemingly no physical
prohibition -- purchasing from large instutitions being what it is
I guess I'll get to try this very exeriment later in the week, now
with a bit less hesitation.  As for the suprising amount of people
who sent me reams of material (and other things) concerning MFM
drives on RLL controllers, that wasn't exactly what I was after and
words cannot adequately express my thoughts, which is just as well
I guess, because I have been told (I think by my mommy) that if you
can't say anything nice about people, don't say anything at all.