[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.0,Logical Connection, PS2/Model 50

boris@uwovax.uwo.ca (11/01/89)

We have a logical connection from Fifth Generation which
connects four PCs (PS2/Model 50, PS2/Model 60, IBM XT, IBM AT)
and three printers.

PS2/Model 50	WordPerfect 5.0; DOS 3.3

PS2/Model 60	WordPerfect 5.0; DOS 4.00

IBM XT		WordPerfect 4.2; DOS 3.2

To change printers, the logical connection TSR is accessed by
ALT L.

While running WordPerfect on the PS2/Model 60 or the IBM XT, the
printer can be changed with no problem using ALT L to access the TSR.

HOWEVER, when the same operation is attempted from within WordPerfect
on the PS2/Model 50, the error message ALTL.WPM not found appears
and it is impossible to access the logical connection TSR.

We have examined WordPerfect setup and autoexec.bat - no noticeable
differences.  I tried reinstalling WordPerfect on the Model 50 - with no
success.

Can anyone suggest a solution or a place to begin?

Thank you for any help.

suominen@csc.fi (11/05/89)

In article <4020.254d8323@uwovax.uwo.ca>, boris@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> We have a logical connection from Fifth Generation which
> connects four PCs (PS2/Model 50, PS2/Model 60, IBM XT, IBM AT)
> and three printers.
> To change printers, the logical connection TSR is accessed by
> ALT L.
> While running WordPerfect on the PS2/Model 60 or the IBM XT, the
> printer can be changed with no problem using ALT L to access the TSR.
> HOWEVER, when the same operation is attempted from within WordPerfect
> on the PS2/Model 50, the error message ALTL.WPM not found appears
> and it is impossible to access the logical connection TSR.
> Can anyone suggest a solution or a place to begin?

We use WP on AST Premium/286 with a logical connecion and two printers.
To avoid using Alt-L while in WP we have modified the printer files .PRS using
PTR-program delivered with WP. We have added the selection strings needed by
the logical connection into the strings WP sends in the beginning of every
print job. The result is that we only have to select a printer we want to use
in WP's printer selection menu and we don't have to care about which printer
has been selected from Alt-L pop-up menu. Works fine!

Juha Suominen
suominen@kannel.lut.fi