[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Can't configure Phoenix 286 BIOS for coprocessor

chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) (10/06/89)

I recently purchased a Samsung IBM AT compat. with a PHOENIX 286 BIOS version
1.01 00.  I just installed a math coprocessor, but the setup routine, in ROM,
won't allow me to change the status of the coproccesor's existance.  I can
change it using SETUP.COM, but the ROM setup in the PHOENIX ROM still
won't show that there is a coprocessor.  Also,  I have docs, but not for
the BIOS; the only way I know of to enter the ROM setup routine is by hitting
any key during boot, which causes a keyboard error and produces the Enter
Setup prompt.  There must be different way to do that.

Does anyone have this version of the Phoenix BIOS?  If so, would you
please help me figure this out?

Thanks,

|  --...  ...--     -..  .     -.-  .  -----  ...-  --.      KE0VG          |
| Charles Rissmeyer (Chuck)                  | All ideas are mine alone!    |
| NCR Comten, Inc   - Information Services   |                              |
| chuck@StPaul.NCR.COM        |                                             |
| (612) 638-8675              | The body is a vehicle for the brain.        |

chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) (10/09/89)

REPOST!!

>I recently purchased a Samsung IBM AT compat. with a PHOENIX 286 BIOS version
>1.01 00.  I just installed a math coprocessor, but the setup routine, in ROM,
 ^^^^^^^
 3.1 is what the version really is.

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (10/11/89)

In article <1606@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Chuck Rissmeyer) writes:
|I recently purchased a Samsung IBM AT compat. with a PHOENIX 286 BIOS version
|3.01 00.  I just installed a math coprocessor, but the setup routine, in ROM,
|won't allow me to change the status of the coproccesor's existance.  I can
|change it using SETUP.COM, but the ROM setup in the PHOENIX ROM still

The Phoenix AT BIOS that I have experience with has a bug in the coprocessor
detect routine.  The coprocessor detected line down at the bottom just says
whether or not it sees a coprocessor.  But there's a bug in the routine, so
it never sees it.  Try running Norton's SI, or any program that must have a
coprocessor, and see what it says. (I have a short program that prints out
the first 16 fibbonacci numbers which requires a coprocessor that I can send
you if you can't find anything else.)

  Bill
--
   Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner       | aaaaaaaaa
  Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                        |            r

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (10/15/89)

In article <1597@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Charles Rissmeyer) writes:
>I recently purchased a Samsung IBM AT compat. with a PHOENIX 286 BIOS version
>1.01 00.  I just installed a math coprocessor, but the setup routine, in ROM,
>won't allow me to change the status of the coproccesor's existance.  I can

I'm not familiar with this version of the Phoenix AT BIOS, since the generic
version right now is 3.10, not 1.X. However, the SETUP routine customarily does
not allow editing the "coprocessor" field. When you run the program it checks
your motherboard switch settings and then looks for the presence of a math chip.
If it finds a chip and a proper switch setting, it will acknowledge the
presence of the coprocessor.

Does your motherboard have DIP switches? If yes .. is the coprocessor switch
enabled?

On most Phoenix BIOS sets having SETUP in ROM, you can enter the setup
program with CTRL-ALT-ESC.

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745

twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) (11/07/89)

In article <1597@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> chuck@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Charles Rissmeyer) writes:
>I recently purchased a Samsung IBM AT compat. with a PHOENIX 286 BIOS version
>1.01 00.  I just installed a math coprocessor, but the setup routine, in ROM,
>won't allow me to change the status of the coproccesor's existance.  I can

Then Mike Schuster responds:
>I'm not familiar with this version of the Phoenix AT BIOS, since the generic
>version right now is 3.10, not 1.X. However, the SETUP routine customarily does
>not allow editing the "coprocessor" field. When you run the program it checks
>your motherboard switch settings and then looks for the presence of a math chip.
>If it finds a chip and a proper switch setting, it will acknowledge the
>presence of the coprocessor.
>Does your motherboard have DIP switches? If yes .. is the coprocessor switch
>enabled?
>On most Phoenix BIOS sets having SETUP in ROM, you can enter the setup
>program with CTRL-ALT-ESC.

  I'm not going to make guesses about version numbers. It doesn't matter. At any
rate, please do not drive yourself crazy looking for a DIP switch to indicate
the presence of your coprocessor. It doesn't exist. The BIOS can go looking for
it and figure out if the coprocessor is there or not. For whatever reason the
ROM setup program does not "know" about the coprocessor until the self-test and
boot-up is complete. Now to address the real question; "How do I invoke the BIOS
setup program after I'm booted up?". The CTRL-ALT-ESC works with the Phoenix 386
that I've used, but the 286 version that I have calls for CTRL-ALT-s. If that
doesn't work, try calling Phoenix; they are in the Thomas Register. Or you can
send me a check for $0.05 to go dig up their phone number from my "files".
Mike is correct that the Phoenix BIOS doesn't let you edit the coprocessor field
Some BIOS setup programs do, they are fooling you.

  Now I have a question for everyone and hopefully a Phoenix representative is
listening. Why is Phoenix so damn stingy with documentation on their BIOS. I've
talked to them on the phone and they're very willing to discuss their other
products.

						Tom Banister
						716-377-3200
						{??}!rochester!tropix!twb