[comp.sys.ibm.pc] prices of PC's over the past decade

psrc@pegasus.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (11/07/89)

In article <10038@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) writes:
> And if the comment applied to the "small fortune" mention, I quote from a
> Playboy, May, 1982, article on personal computers:
(See, I *told* you he only reads it for the articles!-)
> Manufacturer/Model     Base Price    Typical Price
> Osborne I              $1795         $2095

Ah, the Osborne I.  Lousy screen, mediocre keyboard, questionable
portability, immense bundle of software . . . great price.  Kaypro
followed basically the same strategy.  I wasn't sure if I wanted one or
not.  I told my wife one day, "If the price of a system, software,
*and* a daisy wheel printer ever drops below two K, I'm going to break
down and buy one."

Later that year, Kaypro offered a bundled system:  2 (4?) MHz Z80, 64K
of RAM, two 180K (?) floppy disks, CP/M-80 2.2, Perfect Writer
(actually a distant cousin of what's now Sprint, but no relation to
Word Perfect) and other software, and and a daisy wheel printer for
$1995.  I still waited.

> If you allow for inflation, a nice Amiga, Mac or IBM clone can be had for
> the price of a cassette based 6502 machine of that day.

Today, I could pick up the phone (or maybe even walk into a CompuAdd
store) and get an 8Mz 8088 system with 640K of RAM, one 360K drive, one
20M hard disk, a (monochrome) graphics card and monitor, MS-DOS 3.3,
Microsoft Works or some other low-end integrated software package, and
(if I shopped around and drove a hard bargain) a Hewlett-Packard
Laserjet IIP . . . for about two thousand dollars.  For four thousand
dollars, I'd get a 20 MHz 80386 system with 4M of RAM, one 1.2M floppy,
one 1.44M floppy, a 80M hard disk, and a color VGA card and monitor,
with the same software and printer.

Either I was really stupid four (five?) years ago, paying three
thousand dollars for an 8 MHz 8086 system with a dot matrix printer, or
I was really smart not paying four thousand for an 8 MHz 80286 system.
(Since I pretty much made the three thousand back writing magazine
articles on PC's, I think I did okay.)

> Charles Marslett, chasm@attctc.dallas.tx.us

Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!pegasus!psrc, psrc@pegasus.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
I'm not speaking for the company, I'm just speaking my mind.