[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Reformat HD without losing data

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (11/04/89)

I have heard of the existance of a program which can reformat a hard
disk without losing the data on it.  Does anyone know the name of such
a program?  If so, and you have used it, what do you think of it?

Thanks

rwp@cup.portal.com

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (11/06/89)

There are several programs that will do this.  The ones that I
know of are

Disk Technician
Spinrite

timothym@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Timothy D Margeson) (11/07/89)

In article <23690@cup.portal.com> rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) writes:
>I have heard of the existance of a program which can reformat a hard
>disk without losing the data on it.  Does anyone know the name of such
>a program?  If so, and you have used it, what do you think of it?

The program is SPINRITE... don't have the manuals in front of me and can't
recall the manufacturer. You'll find it in most good software shops though.

--
Tim Margeson (206)253-5240
PO Box 3500  d/s C1-022                          @@   'Who said that?'