[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ATI VGA Wonder - Magnavox Multimode compatibility

sarraf@cs.buffalo.edu (Elias M Sarraf) (11/03/89)

I am thinking about buying an ATI VGA Wonder card to use with my MAGNAVOX
Professional Multimode Color Display - Model 8CM873.  It has a max resolution
of 926x580 and the video can be digital or analog.

Can this monitor handle the high resolutions of the VGA Wonder -- (800x600
and 1024x768) since the VGA Wonder uses interleaved mode?  Are there any
Super VGA boards that can display high resolution modes on this monitor?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
						Elias M. Sarraf

internet: sarraf@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet:   sarraf@sunybcs.BITNET
uucp:	  ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!sarraf

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (11/07/89)

In article <12682@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, sarraf@cs.buffalo.edu (Elias M Sarraf) writes:
> I am thinking about buying an ATI VGA Wonder card to use with my MAGNAVOX
> Professional Multimode Color Display - Model 8CM873.  It has a max resolution
> of 926x580 and the video can be digital or analog.
>
> Can this monitor handle the high resolutions of the VGA Wonder -- (800x600
> and 1024x768) since the VGA Wonder uses interleaved mode?  Are there any
> Super VGA boards that can display high resolution modes on this monitor?
> Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I have a Multimode monitor and I use it all the time in 800x600 mode. I
first used it with the Genoa Super EGA card and currently with Paradise
VGA+ Card. Since it is an older model there are a few tricks to using
it you need to be aware of.

1. It doesn't have the automatic sizing and positioning circuits that
newer model multisync monitors do. The horizontal position isn't a problem
since the Multimode has a front control for that. The vertical size is
a problem, since the control is recessed in the back. I solved this with
a TV tuning tool from Radio Shack and some superglue. Cut off the end of
the tool so only a inch or so protrudes from the back of the monitor.

2. Using the Multimode monitor with VGA requires a custom HD15 to DB9
cable. As I recall you can get one from Magnavox, but it pretty expensive.
I took a cable intended a NEC Multisync to VGA and rearranged the pins
to the Multimode configuration. Someone posted the diagram for a Multimode
on the net a while back, but I'm not sure if I still have my copy.

3. Some SuperVGA cards use a fairly low refresh rate for 800x600 mode.
This causes the screen to flicker on the Multimode monitor. I had this
problem with the Video 7 VGA card. Buy your card from a company that
is understanding about hardware returns, like CompuAdd, because the
VGA wonder might have the same problem as the Video 7 card.

I hope this is helpful.
--
Joel Upchurch/Concurrent Computer Corp/2486 Sand Lake Rd/Orlando, FL 32809
joel@peora.ccur.com {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd,ucf-cs}!peora!joel