[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP Deskjet Printer & GoScript...

henke@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (robert d henke) (11/04/89)

Hello.  I have an opportunity to but an HP Deskjet (not PLUS) printer for
a very reasonable price.  I am wondering about the following things:

     - Can I upgrade a Deskjet into a Deskjet PLUS ?

     - How well does the Deskjet work in conjunction with GoScript?  Would
       I need to expand the memory to use GoScript?  Does buying GoScript
       eliminate the need to buy font cartridges and such?

     - Do downloadable fonts produce good results with the Deskjet?  Do I
       need to buy memory carts. to use them?  Is this wiser than buying
       font cartridges?

Sorry for asking such a flood of questions all at once, but I need to act
quickly so that I can take advantage of the low price if I decide to buy.

Please mail any information to henke@cis.ohio-state.edu
Thank you.

                      -- Dru --

lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) (11/07/89)

While I don't have an HP Deskjet, I do have GoScript and a Laserjet II, and
have had experience with the Apple Laserwriter and Laserwrite II NTX. My
system is a 25 MHz 386, 1 meg RAM and 28 ms 40 meg Seagate. Using GoScript is
just like using the Laserwriters, but much slower. I had to upgrade the
Laserjet to 1 meg RAM (to print in 300x300 dpi graphics mode), but you
shouldn't need to do that for a Deskjet.

Anyway, GoScript has the same 13 fonts of the Laserwriter, while GoScript Plus
has the 35 Laserwriter II fonts. These fonts are Postscript-style outline
fonts, which means that characters can be scaled, rotated, positioned
anywhere, filled, overlayed on each other, etc., etc., and you can have as
many fonts per page as you want. Fonts, in this sense, are quite a bit more
useful than those provided by 'font cartridges', which are limited in the
sizes they can produce.

While I would like it to run faster, GoScript is great!

Michael Lampi
MDL Corporation
(Not a GoScript vendor!)

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <routing site>}!gryphon!pnet02!lampi
INET: lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com

ajayshah@nunki.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (11/07/89)

In article <21915@gryphon.COM> lampi@pnet02.gryphon.com (Michael Lampi) writes:

>While I would like it to run faster, GoScript is great!

I once tried the following:

1. Installed Ventura v2.0 to think I had a Postscript printer,
2. Took one of those incredibly complex pages (four frames, three
graphs, lots of font+size combinations) and printed to disk (a 135k
file of Postscript for one page),
3. Tried printing through GoScript.

It worked; in the sense that there was no error message. But the small
sized letters looked utterly awful, their spacing was all wrong etc.

Any ideas why?  Maybe because i'd created that document under Ventura
installed for the HP LJet II?  Maybe if i'd installed Ventura for a
Postscript printer, created the document and printed with GoScript,
it'd have looked nice?

Ajay Shah, (213)747-9991, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.