[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Problems with a Star NX-10 printer

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/28/89)

I've had this Star NX-10 printer for about 3 years, and in that time,
it's worked great.  Unfortunately, I'm now having a problem that I
can't explain.

The print quality has slowly deteriorated.  It used to be that I would
get nice, black print in draft mode, and nice, almost-typewriter quality
(you can only see the difference if you look real close) print in NLQ
mode.  However, now, even with a new ribbon, draft is very gray, and
NLQ looks *almost* okay if you doublestrike each character.  I've tried
replacing the printhead, I've tried replacing the ribbon (with a genuine
Star ribbon, not a no-name brand one), but nothing has worked.  The platen
doesn't appear to be worn.  The lever that adjusts the printhead's distance
from the platen is all the way in (i.e., as close to the platen as
possible).  What's wrong with my printer?  Can it be fixed?  Am I
going to have to replace it?

--
Marc Unangst
Internet: mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us

aqm@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weinrich) (10/28/89)

In article <688.2548CE8F@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> (Marc Unangst) writes:

>replacing the printhead, I've tried replacing the ribbon (with a genuine
               ^^^^^^^^^ !!

>Star ribbon, not a no-name brand one), but nothing has worked.  The platen
>doesn't appear to be worn.  The lever that adjusts the printhead's distance
                      ^^^^ Next guess...

   Replacing it is not a REAL good idea since you have already sunk
a considerable amount of money into it. Now, you are probably going to
laugh at me, but I had the *EXACT* same problem with my printer.
(Star NX-10) early last year. I though it was that the pins on the
prinhead were dirty. Cleaning did no good. I thought it was the platen,
again, no proble there. I brought it to my friendly repair person and
she said, "Steve, when did all this start happening?" I replied
with "Oh, about 2 months ago... just about the time my first ribbon
gave out. I thought that was the problem." She looked at me and said:
"And first box of paper ran out too right?" I thought back, and sure
enough, I had gone to a computer fair and bought a nice box of
paper just as mine was running out. She then proceded to give me a quick
lecture on ink disipation and moisture absorbtion in paper. Another factor
she mentioned was that it was winter, and the moister content was WAY
down. Therefore, the paper would absorb (soak up) my ink and make it look
very light and pale.

   So, what all this means is that the perhaps the paper you were using
a month ago was very high quality, and didn't have much rag content, but
now, you might have some very absorbant paper, and a dry workplace.
In combination, these items usualy combine to screw up your printer...

  Also, as a side note for all you ribbon fanatics, when a printer is
bought new, and it has a ribbon included, beware that you do not assume
the print quality will remain that good for long. Star (Epson also)
includes special reibbons with their new printers. They are general
low quantity pass ribbons, and they wear out quickly. They give off
large amounts of ink, but only last a few hours of actual use.

 None the less, I think I hear biff calling me... bye for now...

-Steve
--
Steve Weinrich   -    Purdue University    -    Unix Group Support
E-Mail: aqm@cc.purdue.edu

cssrajh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Alan J Holmes) (11/01/89)

In article <688.2548CE8F@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
>I've had this Star NX-10 printer for about 3 years, and in that time,
>
>The print quality has slowly deteriorated.  It used to be that I would
More text.....
>possible).  What's wrong with my printer?  Can it be fixed?  Am I
>going to have to replace it?

It may be that the print head is gummed up with dried ink, when I have
had that problem (and it seems fairly common with impact printers), I
soak the head in either Isopropanal Alchohol or Methylated Spirits
for a couple of hours, the alchohol wil disolve the dried ink and the
origional print quality should return.

Regards

Alan Holmes

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (11/07/89)

In article <1146@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk>, cssrajh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Alan J Holmes) writes:
 >It may be that the print head is gummed up with dried ink, when I have

This seems doubtful: I replaced the printhead with a brand-new one,
and the print it still as grey as it was before.