[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Borland International

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (11/29/87)

I just sent away for my Turbo Pascal 4.0 update (at the last minute of course),
and am quite dismayed that the update cost comes to $45 before tax... You
might think that this is a small price to pay considering the program retails
for about $100, but I have seen it advertised in the low fifties from
many mail order chains.

Could it be, that we are simply paying the dealer wholesale cost on these
suckers??? If so, is this really fair???

No real gripes with the company... A loyal TP owner since version 1.0...

						woan@cory.berkeley.edu

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (12/02/87)

Yes, it seems to be the case that you're paying dealer wholesale for the
upgrade.  Is it fair?  Well, consider how small a profit margin they must
have if you can find the product for sale in the $ 50+ range.  They're
entitled to make some money out of it.

			Mike Berger
			Center for Advanced Study
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) (10/23/89)

I've been a happy Borland user for a long time now. I have TP 3, 4, 5, 5.5.
TC 2, TA 1, TD 1, Quattro, SideKnick Plus, Eureka, and have used others as
well. So naturally, it's nice to know who are the people that made all these
possible. Who founded Borland and who're the cheif architects of these
products? Anyone know? Also, I wonder if Borland will publish something on
the history of Turbo Pascal, just like Bill Gates did on MSDOS? (after all,
TP is probably is second most owned PC software, next to MSDOS)

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/23/89)

In article <AZEdI9u00VoH4TnkUp@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>I've been a happy Borland user for a long time now. I have TP 3, 4, 5, 5.5.
>TC 2, TA 1, TD 1, Quattro, SideKnick Plus, Eureka, and have used others as
>well. So naturally, it's nice to know who are the people that made all these
>possible. Who founded Borland and who're the cheif architects of these
>products? Anyone know? Also, I wonder if Borland will publish something on
>the history of Turbo Pascal, just like Bill Gates did on MSDOS? (after all,
>TP is probably is second most owned PC software, next to MSDOS)

    Borland was founded around 1983 (or maybe it was 1982) by Phillipe
Kahn (I think that's how you spell him name) who was, at the time, an
illigal immigrant from France.

    The exact exigencies and situations behind the founding of Borland
are not known to me. I DO know that the company is named after former
Eastern Airlines CEO Frank Borman. Mr. Kahn is reputed to have taken a
liking to the name and modified it slightly for his company name.

    Borland's biggest success was not in producing the absolute best
Pascal compiler on the market, but in producing one of the fastest and
one of the best FOR THE MONEY. It was also one of the first PC
development tools to offer an INTEGRATED development environment, which
did not require a seperate text editor for the generation of source.

     I doubt TP is as popular as you make it out to be (and I say that
having registered copies of versions 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0) but there
is NO mistaking that TP and its successors changed the face of PC
development and PC language environments.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/23/89)

In article <4280@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:

>    Borland's biggest success was not in producing the absolute best
>Pascal compiler on the market, but in producing one of the fastest and
>one of the best FOR THE MONEY. It was also one of the first PC
>development tools to offer an INTEGRATED development environment, which
>did not require a seperate text editor for the generation of source.

I'm certain that a contributing factor to his success was the large loyal
CP/M Turbo Pascal users that, after moveing to the MSDOS world, had a cozy
feeling using Borland products. In the CP/M world, Turbo Pascal 1) had the
only integrated environment available 2) was the fastest compiler available,
by far 3) produced terrific code 4) had an editor so good that people used it
as their primary editor, even for non TP programming 5) was priced right at
$29, far less than any reliable competition 6) was available in *any* CP/M
disk format, without surcharge for unusual formats.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

afscian@violet.waterloo.edu (Anthony Scian) (10/23/89)

In article <AZEdI9u00VoH4TnkUp@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>products? Anyone know? Also, I wonder if Borland will publish something on
>the history of Turbo Pascal, just like Bill Gates did on MSDOS?
They already have done this, Computer Language July 1989 has a story
about Turbo Pascal.

Anthony
//// Anthony Scian afscian@violet.uwaterloo.ca afscian@violet.waterloo.edu ////
"I can't believe the news today, I can't close my eyes and make it go away" -U2

griesel@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Curtis W. Griesel) (10/24/89)

Turbo Pascal was actually initially developed in Denamrk; at least,
that is the understanding I gained after working in the computer industry in
Denmark for a year.  The compiler was initially developed as a graduate
project by a few students at the University of Copenhagen.  It was then
further developed and marketed as a product called PolyPascal, which is
still in wide use around Scandinavia.  I don't know when or how Borland
go ahold of it, but Turbo Pascal was esentially identical to PolyPascal
until TP version 4.0, when the compiler was completely redone by Borland.
Borland has grown by leaps and bounds since the original Turbo, and now has
resources far beyond the initial distributer in Denmark, whose name
eludes me at the moment.  I think some kind of marketing arrangement
has been made, however, so the initial company now serves as a distributer
for all of Borland's products, at least in Scandinavia.

--
Curtis W. Griesel
EQUAL Project (EQuipment for Universal Access to Learning), U of Minnesota

bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) (10/24/89)

Turbo Pascal is based on a danish pascal compiler, which I think was (is?)
called Poly Pascal.  Turbo Prolog is also a danish product.
I don't know about the other products, Borland probably bought them and
changed the label.
As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.

Bjorn
--
Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb

zech@leadsv.UUCP (Bill Zech) (10/24/89)

In article <AZEdI9u00VoH4TnkUp@andrew.cmu.edu>, hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
> I've been a happy Borland user for a long time now. I have TP 3, 4, 5, 5.5.
> TC 2, TA 1, TD 1, Quattro, SideKnick Plus, Eureka, and have used others as
> well. So naturally, it's nice to know who are the people that made all these
> possible. Who founded Borland and who're the cheif architects of these
> products? Anyone know? Also, I wonder if Borland will publish something on
> the history of Turbo Pascal, just like Bill Gates did on MSDOS? (after all,
> TP is probably is second most owned PC software, next to MSDOS)

Actually, lots of Borland stuff was developed elsewhere, either in
Europe or in the US.  I think TP came from Switzerland, TC used to
be Wizzard C,  Reflex came from Analytica, Paradox from Ansa, Sprint
from someone else (?).

Basically, Borland buys a lot of good stuff and then improves on it.

-Bill

grs@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Gordon Stevenson) (10/24/89)

See the October 16th edition of Baron's weekly for an extensive overview
of Borland and its CEO.

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/24/89)

In article <6212@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
|In article <4280@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:
|>    Borland's biggest success was not in producing the absolute best
|>Pascal compiler on the market, but in producing one of the fastest and
|>one of the best FOR THE MONEY.
|
|I'm certain that a contributing factor to his success was the large loyal
|CP/M Turbo Pascal users [...]

Yes, I imagine that it was.  I purchased TP under MS-DOS because the
product was excellent on my CP/M machine, not because it was cheap.  I
was not disappointed in the MS-DOS version, either, although it did
take some time before Borland added support for MS-DOSisms.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/25/89)

In article Hokkun Pang writes:
> I've been a happy Borland user for a long time now. I have TP 3, 4, 5, 5.5.
> TC 2, TA 1, TD 1, Quattro, SideKnick Plus, Eureka, and have used others as
> well. So naturally, it's nice to know who are the people that made all these
> possible. Who founded Borland and who're the cheif architects of these
> products? Anyone know?

I believe that Borland was founded by a native of France, Phillipe
Kahn, who came to the US and made his millions starting with TP3 and
Sidekick.

Very much like Osborne (of Paperback Software), Kahn believed that he
could make a profit selling quality software at a reasonable price
(for the "common man").  He was right.

My understanding is that Turbo C is a highly modified version of
Wizard C, the offspring of a now defunct software firm (Wizard
Software).   Kahn bought all rights to the compiler from Wizard, added
the nifty interactive environment, and now the debugger.

Kahn's base is California.  He is branching out to capture the
corporate user base, with things like Paradox (Kahn bought the
company) and Quattro and Sprint.  The prices of his recent offerings
show his new emphasis.  Too bad, if he forgets the little guy who made
him rich.

Gary L. Barrett

My employer may or may not agree with my opinions.
And I may or may not agree with my employer's opinions.

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (10/25/89)

In article <4280@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Bank) writes:
>In article <AZEdI9u00VoH4TnkUp@andrew.cmu.edu> hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
>    Borland was founded around 1983 (or maybe it was 1982) by Phillipe
>Kahn (I think that's how you spell him name) who was, at the time, an
>illigal immigrant from France.
[stuff deleted]

From what I have heard, Phillipe Kahn wrote Turbo Pascal partially because
he couldn't get a job because he was an illegal immigrant.  Kind of like:
	'Gee, I can't get a normal job, so why don't I write a cheap, revolutionary
	 PC Pascal compiler and build a multi-million dollar company.' Yeah...that's
the ticket!

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  buita sunne}!polygen!bill  |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (10/25/89)

> Turbo Pascal is based on a danish pascal compiler, which I think was (is?)
> called Poly Pascal.  Turbo Prolog is also a danish product.
> I don't know about the other products, Borland probably bought them and
> changed the label.
> As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.

I can't believe what I have been hearing! Of course Mr. Kahn exists!  He
is interviewed extensively in the US press and I met him at the last West Coas
Computer Faire, as well.  The Turbo Pascal story is being quite bungled too.
Legend has it that Kahn wrote it himself, perhaps while he was in France.
Some people don't realize that he was a prominent mathematician...  Don't
give us this about changing labels, and give the Borland programmers
some credit...  True they have bought some thing, but I am quite sure that
all of the compilers are their own.  They are sold under different labels in
Europe though for distribution reasons...

						Ron
+------All Views Expressed Are My Own And Are Not Necessarily Shared By-------+
+-------------------------------My Employer-----------------------------------+
+ Ronald S. Woan    (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM         @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +

laredo@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Alain Laredo) (10/25/89)

Does anybody knows how many copies of Turbo Pascal (in all its versions)
have been sold since it came out?

thanks,
Jim.

jl04@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (James Hague) (10/26/89)

In article <AZEdI9u00VoH4TnkUp@andrew.cmu.edu>, hp0p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Hokkun Pang) writes:
> I've been a happy Borland user for a long time now. I have TP 3, 4, 5, 5.5.
> TC 2, TA 1, TD 1, Quattro, SideKnick Plus, Eureka, and have used others as
> well. So naturally, it's nice to know who are the people that made all these
> possible. Who founded Borland and who're the cheif architects of these
> products? Anyone know? Also, I wonder if Borland will publish something on
> the history of Turbo Pascal, just like Bill Gates did on MSDOS? (after all,
> TP is probably is second most owned PC software, next to MSDOS)

Borland's products are great, but for the most part they weren't created by
Borland.  Borland is more of a software aquistion house that keeps updating
aquired products, than a company that develops new software.  Of course,
they try to keep this quiet, but a lot of info leaks out anyway.  For instance,
it's widely known that Turbo C was originally Wizard C (take a look at some
circa-1985 Byte C Compiler comparisons).  Even if it wasn't originally created
by Borland, it's still a great piece of programming.  Ditto for their other
products.

James "The Junkster" Hague, University of North Texas

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) (10/26/89)

Borland's success is also due to their fine attitude towards customer service.
E.g., a few months ago I dropped them a note detailing some difficulties I
was having with TD386 on my machine.  Yesterday I received a 4 disk TD/TASM
upgrade set.  Now THAT's how vendors should treat their customers!

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (10/26/89)

In article <751@awdprime.UUCP> ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
|and give the Borland programmers
|some credit...  True they have bought some thing, but I am quite sure that
|all of the compilers are their own.

No.  Turbo C, at least, was originally Wizard C.  It was purchased by
Borland which streamlined it (basically using memory in place of
temporary files wherever possible) and added the now-familiar
integrated environment.

Most of the other Borland commercial packages were also bought and
improved, rather than completely implemented by Borland.  I believe
only SideKick was a Borland original in this category (SideKick made
their name in the commercial world, so this is no small statement).

I'm not putting down Borland -- I've been using Turbo Pascal since the
CP/M days -- but they will definitely buy good or fairly good products
and improve them.  This makes good business sense and leads to better
products in short time periods.

jim frost
software tool & die
madd@std.com

bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) (10/27/89)

Numerous people have pointed out to me that Phillipe Kahn does indeed exist.
My sincere apologies to Mr. Kahn and everybody who got offended.
The error was partly because I've never heard or read about the man except
the name and how he wrote all the Borlands procucts almost single handed.

I still believe that Borlands part of the manufacturing of it's product
is vastly overrated.
The danish programmers I keep talking about, might of course be Borland staff.
Then I would be wrong, I guess.

Bjorn
--

alex@mks.com (Alex White) (10/27/89)

In article <751@awdprime.UUCP> ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) writes:
>give us this about changing labels, and give the Borland programmers
>some credit...  True they have bought some thing, but I am quite sure that
>all of the compilers are their own.  They are sold under different labels in

This is false.
Their C compiler (Turbo C) was bought from Wizard.
I know, I owned Wizard C, and owned a support contract, and one day
when phoning their support line was given an answering machine forwarding
me to Borland (who gave all owners of Wizard C a free copy of Turbo C)
(but refused to honour the support contract with wizard).

scott@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (10/27/89)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc / bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) /  5:07 pm  Oct 23, 1989 /

>Turbo Pascal is based on a danish pascal compiler, which I think was (is?)
>called Poly Pascal.  Turbo Prolog is also a danish product.
>I don't know about the other products, Borland probably bought them and
>changed the label.
>As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.

>--
>Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
>University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb
>----------

What a bunch of horse-hocky.  I had lunch with Phillipe Kahn at
Stanford, and he looked pretty alive to me...

As he told the story, there were a bunch of people who wanted to make
some money writing software.  So, they started writing some packages
(I think it was statistics).  Anyway, they were extremely disappointed
with the compilers available at that time, so they just wrote a new one.
They were demoing their package to someone, and it crashed or the
customer asked about an enhancement.  The person demoing then quickly
went into the compiler and fixed the problem.  The customer then said
"forget about (xyz), I want to see that compiler!".  The customer
convinced them that there would be a very large market for such a compiler,
so they decided to "try" to sell it, and the rest is history.

Their company is in Scotts Valley, near Santa Cruz.  Phillipe will be
the one with the loud hawaiian shirt on.

Scott Linn

kjc@cuuxb.ATT.COM (~XT6561340~Kevin Coulter~C29~L18~6282~) (10/27/89)

In article <1246@krafla.rhi.hi.is> bjornb@rhi.hi.is (Bjorn H Bjornsson) writes:
>As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.

Phillippe Kahn very much exists. I once had the "opportunity" to hear him
speak. He had very definite opinions on things, thats for sure....
--
 Kevin Coulter			"If it don't have wheels, it ain't a sport!!!"
 AT&T Data Systems Group

unkydave@shumv1.uucp (David Bank) (10/27/89)

In article <89Oct25.223331edt.19557@me.utoronto.ca> rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russell Herman) writes:
>Borland's success is also due to their fine attitude towards customer service.
>E.g., a few months ago I dropped them a note detailing some difficulties I
>was having with TD386 on my machine.  Yesterday I received a 4 disk TD/TASM
>upgrade set.  Now THAT's how vendors should treat their customers!
>
>Russ Herman
>INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh

   I got similar treatment as well. I purchased TP 2.0 my freshman year
in college. Later I bought 3.0. I upgraded to 4.0 under their upgrade
offer when it came out.

   About 2 or 3 months later, not long after I had received my 4.0
upgrade, they announced 5.0 BOY...was I PO'd.

   So I call them up and complain to this nice young lady who
promptly shipped me a copy of 5.0 at no charge. I like that.

Unky Dave
unkydave@shumv1.ncsu.edu

lisbon@vpnet.UUCP (Gerry Swetsky) (10/27/89)

> As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.

    Guess I met a ghost then, right?  Gee, a ghost that plays the
    saxophone!

    It's Borland who doesn't exist, my friend!

| Help stamp out stupid .signature files!		    Gerry Swetsky   |
|                                                                           |
| Home (312)833-8122  Vpnet (312)833-8126               lisbon@vpnet.uucp   |

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (10/27/89)

In article <1989Oct26.150041.5247@world.std.com> madd@world.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
>Most of the other Borland commercial packages were also bought and
>improved, rather than completely implemented by Borland.  I believe
>only SideKick was a Borland original in this category (SideKick made
>their name in the commercial world, so this is no small statement).

Ironically, they wrote SideKick as an in-house tool, and then commercialized
it. But I thought most of their products they developed. Their product line
(I hope I'm not leaving anything out):

Product				Did they do it?
Sidekick			Yes (and follow up products too)
Turbo Lightning			Yes
Superkey			Yes
Reflex				No
Paradox				No
Quattro				Yes
Sprint				No

And they did all their languages (Pascal, Prolog, Basic, Assembler) except
for Turbo-C, and also developed (but didn't sell) Turbo Modula-2 (for CP/M),
and what is now JPI TopSpeed Modula-2 and C.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I'd like to know (and I'm sure someone will
tell me!)

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (10/27/89)

Alex White writes:

> Their C compiler (Turbo C) was bought from Wizard.
> I know, I owned Wizard C, and owned a support contract, and one day
> when phoning their support line was given an answering machine forwarding
> me to Borland (who gave all owners of Wizard C a free copy of Turbo C)
> (but refused to honour the support contract with wizard).

Very sorry to hear that, because Wizard produced a vary fine product,
one that repeatedly got great technical reviews but not a lot of press.  That
Borland purchased it was a great coup for Kahn.  Too bad you were
apparently treated unfairly.

By the way, my company (UNISYS) offered Wizard C on its proprietary
"BTOS" workstation.  After Wizard's sale of C to Borland, BTOS C
became a Borland product.  So now BTOS users see a BORLAND banner
on their screen at program startup.  (Too bad Borland has not
enhanced BTOS C to match Turbo C (PC) capabilities.)

pathak@s.cs.uiuc.edu (10/27/89)

> Turbo Pascal is based on a danish pascal compiler, which I think was (is?)
> called Poly Pascal.  Turbo Prolog is also a danish product.
> I don't know about the other products, Borland probably bought them and
> changed the label.
> As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.
>
> Bjorn
> --
> Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
> University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb

Philip Kahn is a real person, Frank Borland and mule are not.

Heeren Pathak
pathak@cs.uiuc.edu

chasm@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/29/89)

In article <6241@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
[Stsatement about Borland's in house development of several products, only
one of which I will attempt to dispute.]
> Ironically, they wrote SideKick as an in-house tool, and then commercialized
> it. But I thought most of their products they developed. Their product line
> (I hope I'm not leaving anything out):
>
> Product				Did they do it?
> Sidekick			Yes (and follow up products too)

Nope, the original Sidekick may have been Borland-developed, but several
of the enhancements have come from external developers, and the current
product (Sidekick Plus) is from an English developer.

> If I'm wrong on any of this, I'd like to know (and I'm sure someone will
> tell me!)

I did.

> Tom Almy
> toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
> Standard Disclaimers Apply
Charles Marslett (standard disclaimer follows, so I'll have enough new stuff!)
"Those who would sacrifice **  Charles Marslett
liberty for security,      **  STB Systems, Inc. <-- apply all std. disclaimers
deserve neither."          **  Wordmark Systems  <-- that's just me
  -- Benjamin Franklin     **  chasm\@attctc.dallas.tx.us

jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) (10/30/89)

> And they did all their languages (Pascal, Prolog, Basic, Assembler) except

The story I heard is that Turbo Prolog was developed by a European firm
(Swedish?) and was offered to the makers of a leading Prolog for Sun
and other workstations. They turned it down because it was too far from
the Prolog standard, but Borland took it anyway.

+----------------------+---+
| Jan Newmarch	       |:-)|  ACSnet: jan@cancol.oz
| Info. Sciences & Eng.|___|  ARPA:   jan%cancol.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
| Canberra CAE             |  UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!cancol.oz.au!jan
| P.O. Box 1               |  CSNET:  jan%cancol.oz@australia
| Belconnen  A.C.T. 2616   |  JANET:  jan%au.oz.cancol@EAN-RELAY
| AUSTRALIA                |
+--------------------------+

pcg@emerald.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/01/89)

In article <213400064@s.cs.uiuc.edu> pathak@s.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

   > Turbo Pascal is based on a danish pascal compiler, which I think was (is?)
   > called Poly Pascal.  Turbo Prolog is also a danish product.
   > I don't know about the other products, Borland probably bought them and
   > changed the label.
   > As for Philip Kahn, I very much doubt that he exists.
   >
   > Bjorn
   > --
   > Bjorn Heimir Bjornsson		Internet:  bjornb@rhi.hi.is
   > University of Iceland		UUCP:	   {mcvax,enea}!hafro!rhi!bjornb

   Philip Kahn is a real person, Frank Borland and mule are not.

   Heeren Pathak
   pathak@cs.uiuc.edu

In an interview, Philippe Kahn, who is French, said that he
called the company Borland because it looked like a good American
sounding name; he did not want to draw attention to himself,
because he was an illegal immigrant. As to the company products,
the company is very much in the sotware *publishing* business, he
says, even more than in the *development* business. That makes
good business sense. Apparently Kahn did some hands on work with
Turbo Pascal in the early days, but it is not the (main or only)
author.
--
Piercarlo "Peter" Grandi           | ARPA: pcg%cs.aber.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

markd@gamer.UUCP (Mark Davidson) (11/02/89)

I'll add a little bit of info to this.  It is my understanding that Borland
purchased Turbo Prolog from a Danish company (which explains why some of the
predicates had non-American spelling in the manual; for example, colour).
I don't recall if the articel I'm following up to mentioned this, but Sprint
is a re-done version of Mark Of The Unicorn's (later, FW Corp) The Final Word II
I know; I used to use TFW II.  Borland offered me the same upgrade they offered
everybody else:  $99.

Mark E. Davidson, ...!novavax!gamer!markd

austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin Ziegler) (11/03/89)

*> I'll add a little bit of info to this.  It is my understanding that
*> Borland purchased Turbo Prolog from a Danish company (which explains why
*> some of the predicates had non-American spelling in the manual; for
*> example, colour).  I don't recall if the articel I'm following up to
*> mentioned this, but Sprint is a re-done version of Mark Of The Unicorn's
*> (later, FW Corp) The Final Word II I know; I used to use TFW II.
*> Borland offered me the same upgrade they offered everybody else: $99.

     Yes.  I was very unhappy with Sprint (I'm not a FWII user).  However,
they did specifically say that they had bought the rights to FWII.  They
have the potential to make a better WP program, but I am not sure they will
bother...

           Austin Ziegler

BTW does anyone know the format for the *.CHR files in TP?  I want to make
my own fonts.

austin@bucsf.bu.edu

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (11/05/89)

austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin Ziegler) writes:

>BTW does anyone know the format for the *.CHR files in TP?  I want to make
>my own fonts.

The formats are given in the BGI toolkit.  A version was posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc aearlier this year. Or you can grab the files
off the Borland Programming B Forum on CompuServe. I *think* you can
also request them on floppy from Borland...
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]

peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (11/08/89)

In article <1747@bucket.UUCP> leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) writes:
>I *think* you can
>also request them on floppy from Borland...

Nope.  I tried.  All they sent me was instructions on how to get an
intro pac to Compuserve, and it took them several months to get to my
letter alone.

Pedro Quien?