[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Another question about: WP 5.0 postscript capability??

baldwin@usna.MIL (J.D. Baldwin) (11/05/89)

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
>[...] leunglee@sybil.cs.buffalo.edu (Leung Lee) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to have WP 5.0 to output a postscript file.
>>There seems to be no information on this whatsoever after leafing
>>through the books in book stores!
>   [here markxx provides a good answer to the basic question...]

A similar problem has been driving me crazy lately.  I get PostScript output
to a file just fine, via a method similar to the one Mark described.  However,
I find it odd that a word processor that supports PS does not support "line
draw" in PS.  The printer I have been using/selecting is an NEC Silentwriter
890 in PostScript mode.  I can't get that thing to draw a line to save my
life!  I've read the FM, I've beaten the on-line help key to death, and I've
consulted (albeit briefly) a couple of commercial books on the subject.  No
luck.

I have *no* trouble getting line draw out of the HP LaserJet + on our Ethernet,
but the HP is not capable of a bunch of things that the NEC printer is (size
selection with fonts, for example).  I use WP mainly for making transparencies
for class, and I try to make as many diagrams as possible, which requires a
lot of boxing and lines.  Maybe the department will give me that Sun
workstation I asked for, and I can start using FrameMaker and LaTex and dis-
pense with this WP junk.  But I digress.

In the meantime, can anyone provide me with a fix for this problem?  Has
someone out there *written* a PostScript font which supports WP line draw?
Perhaps the WP people have come out with an extended set of fonts and failed
to let me know?  I have tremendous respect for the power of WP (I am a refugee
from PCWrite and WordStar), but this failure to exploit a fairly basic
feature of PS seems to me a little, well . . . cheap.

Incidentally, I get great results with boxed graphic images.
--
From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

In article <283@usna.MIL> baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) writes:

>A similar problem has been driving me crazy lately.  I get PostScript output
>to a file just fine, via a method similar to the one Mark described.  However,
>I find it odd that a word processor that supports PS does not support "line
>draw" in PS.  The printer I have been using/selecting is an NEC Silentwriter
>890 in PostScript mode.  I can't get that thing to draw a line to save my
>life!  I've read the FM, I've beaten the on-line help key to death, and I've
>consulted (albeit briefly) a couple of commercial books on the subject.  No
>luck.

This has been added since the original release, perhaps in August or September.
Just call the 800 number and ask for update disks.

>I have *no* trouble getting line draw out of the HP LaserJet + on our Ethernet,
>but the HP is not capable of a bunch of things that the NEC printer is (size
>selection with fonts, for example).  I use WP mainly for making transparencies
>for class, and I try to make as many diagrams as possible, which requires a
>lot of boxing and lines.  Maybe the department will give me that Sun
>workstation I asked for, and I can start using FrameMaker and LaTex and dis-
>pense with this WP junk.  But I digress.

Boxes (as in text boxes and frames around graphics) always did work under
postscript.  One thing that might work for you is to find some other
PC program to handle the diagrams and import them into WP as a graphic.
EPS output is probably best, but I've had good results from programs
that only knew how to output to an HP plotter.

>Perhaps the WP people have come out with an extended set of fonts and failed
>to let me know?

There have been *many* different update releases - I think they gave up
on notifying anyone...

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us