[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Need help with VI on PC

barry@philmtl.philips.ca (Barry Kimelman) (11/07/89)

Hello :

On large (VAX, 386 based systems, etc...) UNIX systems you can set
options for VI that will be processed by VI as soon as it starts
executing. eg. you can specify an environment variable EXINIT to
specify tabstop width.

So, I was wondering how can you do a similar kind of thing on the
Ms-DOS version of VI ???

Please e-mail responses directly to me (if possible).
Thanks in advance for your help.
--
Barry Kimelman:	 ...!uunet!philmtl!barry ( barry@philmtl)
	phone: (514) 744-8200

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

andy@mks.com (Andy Toy) (11/09/89)

In article <826@philmtl.philips.ca> barry@philmtl.philips.ca (Barry Kimelman) writes:
>....  you can set
>options for VI that will be processed by VI as soon as it starts
>executing. eg. you can specify an environment variable EXINIT to
>specify tabstop width.

>So, I was wondering how can you do a similar kind of thing on the
>Ms-DOS version of VI ???

You didn't mention whose VI you have so in case you have
MKS VI here's how you do it.

1.	You can set the environment variable EXINIT to contain the
	options just like on UNIX.

2.	You can put the option in the file ex.rc (.exrc on UNIX) in
	your HOME directory.  You may also have to set the HOME
	environment variable.
--
Andy Toy, Mortice Kern Systems Inc.,       Internet: andy@mks.com
  35 King Street North, Waterloo,       UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!andy

gph@hpsemc.HP.COM (Paul Houtz) (11/09/89)

>So, I was wondering how can you do a similar kind of thing on the
>Ms-DOS version of VI ???

  What MS-DOS version of VI?   Do you mean the MKS Toolkit VI?  Do you
mean some other VI?   Is VI being supplied with MS-DOS now?

  I have the MKS Tookit version of VI.  If you look at the manual you
get with MKS it tells you what you want to know.  Also, if you have
purchased MKS Toolkit, then you can call their support number and get
help like this.

  If you have some other version of VI, you might try the same way
you do it on UNIX.