[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Suggestions for cheap Lap Top

atk@tigger.colorado.edu (Alan T. Krantz) (11/07/89)

Howdy, I'm not sure if this is the best news group for this posting, but...

I'm looking for a cheap lap top for word processing. Major features I'm
looking for are:
		1) Light weight  (7/8 pounds would be great)
		2) Nice keyboard
		3) Nice screen (full size)
		4) TTL, serial and parallel ports
		5) Capable of running WordPefect or MsWords
		   (I.e, close to Ibm compat but does not need to be
		   perfect)
		6) Cheap $600 or less would be great.

So far the cloest machine I have found to the above specs is the Toshiba
1000. The only things I don't like about this machine are the small
screen (eye strain) and not TTL port (it has a CGA port but I would
prefer TTL). Please note that the machine need not be new.

What I'm looking for are comments on other portables that might be worth
looking at. I have gone to numerous computer stores in town, and while
most would be willing to special order any machine of my choice, the
only ones they seem to carry in stock are the Toshiba and Zenith. I know
there are many more machines out there, Epson, Nec, Compaq to name a
few. If you have any comments on any machine that might be worth looking
into please let me know...

Thanks,
atk

|  Mail:    1830 22nd street      mail: atk@boulder.colorado.edu |
|           Apt 16                Vmail: Home:   (303) 939-8256  |
|           Boulder, Co 80302            Office: (303) 492-8115  |

allanon@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (Kenneth Leung) (11/08/89)

In article <13566@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@tigger.colorado.edu (Alan T. Krantz) writes:

>I'm looking for a cheap lap top for word processing. Major features I'm
>looking for are:
>		1) Light weight  (7/8 pounds would be great)
>		2) Nice keyboard
>		3) Nice screen (full size)
>		4) TTL, serial and parallel ports
>		5) Capable of running WordPefect or MsWords
>		   (I.e, close to Ibm compat but does not need to be
>		   perfect)
>		6) Cheap $600 or less would be great.
After finishing my thesis which is on laptop computers in United States,
I can tell you thatchoice 1-5 is relatively easy to satisfy, but 6 is
a b*tch to find.

In my study, the Toshiba T-1000 would be a good choice for you except
for the screen. It will run Word Perfect but without the Static RAM
upgrade the machine is a dog when running a word processor. WIth the RAM
upgrade even on mail order $600 is very difficult if not impossible.

Another choice would be the Zenith Supersport, depending on whether
you have education discount it will xceed $1200 depending on hard drive
or two floppy. The Minisport would be a good choice if you don't mind the
non-standard 2.5" floppy. But again the price will DEFINITELY exceed
$600

If you really need dirt cheap, try finding an IBM Convertible, they are cheap,
not great processing power but they may serve you needs for a limited budget

Another one to try is the Bondwell systems, I am not sure they are still
around but in my research they showed up with a Bondwell B200 which retails
for $1000 with removable Nicad battery, one 3.5" disk and 8 pounds.

Good luck!

Kenneth C.P. Leung
University of California, Riverside CA 92521
UUCP:    {ucsd, ucivax, ucbvax!ucdavis}!ucrmath!allanon
Internet:    ucrmath!allanon@ucsd.ucsd.EDU

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (11/08/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-

>In article <13566@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@tigger.colorado.edu (Alan T. Krantz) writes:
>>
>>I'm looking for a cheap lap top for word processing.......

What about the DataView Spark? It can be configued in a wide array of
configurations (two floppies, 1 floppy + hard disk, additional memory,
extra batteries,etc) It also has a muck more readable screen and usable
keyboard. Cost for one with 2 disk drives is around $950. PC Week had a
review of available laptops recently which compared there and others.

bumby@math.rutgers.edu (Richard Bumby) (11/09/89)

In article <2927@hub.UUCP> crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:

> In article <13566@boulder.Colorado.EDU> atk@tigger.colorado.edu
> >(Alan T. Krantz) writes:
> >>
> >>I'm looking for a cheap lap top for word processing.......
>
> What about the DataView Spark? . . .

When I was shopping for a laptop, I had a chance to see the Spark and
the baby Toshiba side-by-side.  Although the Toshiba screen has its
faults, the T1000 seemed to be a better product.  I bought the
Toshiba.  As another article mentioned, you REALLY need the extra
memory.  I use it mostly as "Hard RAM" (a battery-backed RAM disc --
it is not static RAM as described in the other article, just the next
best thing), but there are other ways of configuring the system.
--

--R. T. Bumby ** Math ** Rutgers ** New Brunswick ** NJ08903 ** USA --
  above postal address abbreviated by internet to bumby@math.rutgers.edu