[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Packard Bell Quality...

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg F. Thompson) (11/07/89)

I have been selling Packard Bell Computers for a little while now and have
only had one problem, a monitor.  It seems if you are not careful in making
sure you have switched the dip-switches (all the right ones) properly you
might have the wrong configuration.  This caused a Mono Packard Bell Monitor
to blow a fuse.  I suspect this is the case for most.

As for quality of machine, you can't beat the price (unless you buy from
FastMicro).  The 286 is very solid and the XT is a little more plastic than
their 286.  Nice ATI monitor graphics card! (on XT at least).

Hey for $1000 you can get a PC-XT 10mhz, 12" monographic hercules and 16 shade
CGA emulation monitor (because of the ATI card, not the monitor), 32 megs!
640k, 1 360k flopyy, serial and parrallel port, and last I checked it still
comes with software (hard disk is preformatted too!).

As ALWAYS, run some diagnostic programs for at least a day! (full 24hrs).
(ATI provides a monitor test for their card)

GRegg
To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (11/07/89)

My nephew bought a Packard-Bell XT (80186 processor) with mono monitor
and 30 MB HD (looks like Seagate). It developed a problems such that
it began to have trouble reading the HD when it was warm but could do
it when cold. I suggested a re-low level format, but did not push it
since it was not my machine and it was still under warranty. I later
heard that other PB machines had developed similar problems and that
PB was replacing some part (? HD or controller) under warranty. It is
now said to work O.K.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705
mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP           919 286 0411

greggt@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Gregg F. Thompson) (11/08/89)

In article <1989Nov7.035705.2131@uncecs.edu> mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) writes:

>                                                             I later
>heard that other PB machines had developed similar problems and that
>PB was replacing some part (? HD or controller) under warranty. It is
>now said to work O.K.

Seagate let out a whole mess of bad hard disks one time, I believe Radio
Shack even ended up with a bunch of them.

To live is to die, to die is to live forever;			GRegg Thompson
Where will you spend eternity?			     greggt@vax1.cc.uakron.edu

rwp@cup.portal.com (Roger William Preisendefer) (11/09/89)

I bought a Packard Bell Axcel (12MHz 286) with VGA, a 40M hard drive,
1.2M floppy, and a VGA monitor for $1900.  I've had no problems with
it so far, andd it was the best price I could find, including the
catalogs.  The case is big enough that it will hold a 386 motherboard when
I'm ready to upgrade it.

Roger Preisendefer
"I bought a package of batteries, but they weren't included, so I had
to buy them again."  Stephen Wtight