[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accidental formatting of hard disk

gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) (11/02/89)

Someone just stepped into my office and asked me if it was possible to
recover from an accidental reformatting of an internal hard disk under
DOS. Not knowing the answer, I thought I would appeal to the wizards of
the net. They're not even sure of the version of DOS they are running (it's
an old XT). Any pointers to techniques or software which might help
them recover their data would be appreciated.

--
G.J. (Joe) Bradley, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, 30332

UUCP:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gb7
INTERNET: gb7@prism.gatech.edu

  There is no problem recovering from a reformatted hard disk. Just
restore from the backup. If a high level format was done (DOS FORMAT
command), you may be able to recover some of the data using a package
like Norton Utilities. *Do not* put any files back on the disk if you
are going to try this, as you will destroy the previous information.

  How can anyone "accidentally" reformat a hard disk? Virus?

that the world is flat!" - anon

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (11/03/89)

In article <2968@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:

> Someone just stepped into my office and asked me if it was possible to
> recover from an accidental reformatting of an internal hard disk under
> DOS ...

As I recall, the first package to advertise this ability _without having
installed the package before the reformat happened_ was the Mace Utilities
(Paul Mace Software, in Ashland, OR).  Norton Utilities Advanced Edition
may also have that capability by now -- I don't have the manual handy and
don't recall for sure.

I've never had occasion to attempt this with any package, so cannot make a
specific recommendation.

I don't think you will need to know the DOS version, but if you do it can
usually be found in the boot sector.  (At least that will tell you what
version formatted the drive.)

Once the machine is back in service, do them a favor and rename their
format.com to something crazy like fmt@@@.com and create a format.bat
consisting of something like

    fmt@@@ a:

so this doesn't happen again.

bruce@mojo.UUCP (Bruce Wahler) (11/04/89)

In article <2968@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
>Someone just stepped into my office and asked me if it was possible to
>recover from an accidental reformatting of an internal hard disk under
>DOS. Not knowing the answer, I thought I would appeal to the wizards of
>the net. They're not even sure of the version of DOS they are running (it's
>an old XT). Any pointers to techniques or software which might help
>them recover their data would be appreciated.

Try PCTools Deluxe 5.1 or 5.5.  They contain a recovery program, which, while
designed to work with their MIRROR utility, works fairly well even without it.

A word of caution, though:  DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING ON THE BAD DISK PRIOR TO
RUNNING THE RECOVERY PROGRAM!!!  Once you overwrite part of the FAT and/or
directory, you will lose part -- if not all -- of your old data.

PCTools deluxe can be found in almost any software store, or in Byte and PCMag
mail order ads, for around $50 - $60.

BAW

DISCALIMER:

The company I work for, NEC Technologies, Inc., does not endorse PCTools
Deluxe.  I don't work for Central Point Software, either.  I just think their
products are well worth the money.

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (11/06/89)

In article <1532@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>command), you may be able to recover some of the data using a package
>like Norton Utilities. *Do not* put any files back on the disk ifkage

Not a chance.  A high level format writes $F6 into every byte of every
data sector on the disk.

Tim Meighan
Silent Radio

"Get me Premier Kisoff on the hot line!"

wang@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Eric Wang) (11/06/89)

In article <1197@srhqla.SR.COM> tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) writes:
>In article <1532@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>
>>command), you may be able to recover some of the data using a package
>>like Norton Utilities. *Do not* put any files back on the disk ifkage
>
>Not a chance.  A high level format writes $F6 into every byte of every
>data sector on the disk.
>
>Tim Meighan

Then the DOS FORMAT command is NOT high-level, by your definition of the term.
IBM just managed to brainwash everybody into thinking that it is.  (Among
those who also swallowed this line: Peter Norton & Paul Mace.)  Mace describes
eloquently in his Guide to Data Recovery how he was just goofing around with
a new hard disk & noticed information surviving multiple formats, which
absolutely staggered him.  After several months of intensive work, he added
UNFORMAT to his Mace Utilities, and Norton and PC-Tools quickly followed his
lead.  As a matter of fact, one of the standard methods to recover data from
a hard disk on the fritz is to reformat it to clean up the corrupted parts,
then unformat it to recover all (?? most, anyways) of the data.  Note that
the process is not guaranteed to be completely successful, but it's better
than losing the whole disk.

To clarify this issue: the DOS FORMAT _is_ destructive on FLOPPY disks.  If
you've formatted a floppy, you can kiss your data good-bye.  In fact, Mace's
Guide even has a section entitled "Recovery of Data from a Formatted Floppy".
It says, basically, "Sorry, you're out of luck.  But you can take the time
now to replace DOS' FORMAT program with my own FORMAT-F program, so that this
problem won't ever happen again."  Mace provides a non-destructive FORMAT-F
for floppy disks.

IBM PC-DOS and Microsoft MS-DOS FORMAT is, as of version 2.x to 3.x,
non-destructive on HARD disks.  Certain vendors who distribute their own
versions of DOS do have FORMATs that are destructive on hard disks, too, but
they are in the minority.

Eric Wang
wang@cs.uiuc.edu

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) (11/07/89)

In article <1197@srhqla.SR.COM> I wrote:

> Not a chance.  A high level format writes $F6 into every byte of every
> data sector on the disk.

It has been pointed out to me by several people that this statement is
totally *WRONG* when it comes to hard disks.  Obviously, I was thinking
of floppies, and didn't take the time to verify my own assertions.

I hate when that happens.  Anyway, thanks to those who mailed corrections
to me -- you can stop now!

Tim Meighan
Silent Radio

"Yes!  That's right!  Everything you know is wrong!"

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/07/89)

>>command), you may be able to recover some of the data using a package
>>like Norton Utilities. *Do not* put any files back on the disk ifkage
>
>Not a chance.  A high level format writes $F6 into every byte of every
>data sector on the disk.

I think you are referring to LOW LEVEL format instead of HIGH LEVEL.
As far as I can remember, DOS format (which is HIGH LEVEL) is non-
destructive on hard disk but destructive on floppy disk.

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289

poffen@chomolungma (Russ Poffenberger) (11/08/89)

In article <2968@hydra.gatech.EDU> gb7@prism.gatech.EDU (Joe Bradley) writes:
>Someone just stepped into my office and asked me if it was possible to
>recover from an accidental reformatting of an internal hard disk under
>DOS. Not knowing the answer, I thought I would appeal to the wizards of
>the net. They're not even sure of the version of DOS they are running (it's
>an old XT). Any pointers to techniques or software which might help
>them recover their data would be appreciated.
>

>--

Get a copy of Norton Utilities. There is an "unformatting" program that works
well. It also has utilities for all sorts of things.
I got a copy of the Advanced edition and I love it. It is a little more
expensive than the standard edition, but worth it.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
-------------------------
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.

leonard@bucket.UUCP (Leonard Erickson) (11/09/89)

tcm@srhqla.SR.COM (Tim Meighan) writes:

>In article <1532@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>>command), you may be able to recover some of the data using a package
>>like Norton Utilities. *Do not* put any files back on the disk ifkage

>Not a chance.  A high level format writes $F6 into every byte of every
>data sector on the disk.

Sorry, but that only happens when you format a floppy disk, or if you
have one of 2 or 3 very obscure releases of DOS.

A DOS FORMAT of a hard disk will just create an empty directory and FAT
and record bad sectors.
--
Leonard Erickson		...!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!leonard
CIS: [70465,203]