[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WP 5.0 and spacing - UGH

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (11/08/89)

We are using WordPerfect 5.0 and having problems with spacing.
Here is the problem:

We type in a document that has only one space between
words. When it prints, it oftens has 2 or more spaces
where we put one.
I have played with Word Spacing/Letter Spacing, but to no avail.
The FONT I believe is a proportional font.

WHY THE EXTRA SPACES??

The configuration:
H/W: IBM PS2/55sx with 2m ram
     NEC LC890 printer, running in laserjet mode
S/W: WP 5.0 running under DOS 4.0

many thanks,

joec@morgan.com

thaler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Maurice Thaler) (11/09/89)

It sounds to me like you have justification on. If you do this, WP5.0
will insert spaces between words to make the ends line up. Actually,
most word processors do this. If you turn the justification off, I bet
the extra spaces will go away.

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

In article <489@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:

>We type in a document that has only one space between
>words. When it prints, it oftens has 2 or more spaces
>where we put one.
>I have played with Word Spacing/Letter Spacing, but to no avail.
>The FONT I believe is a proportional font.

Unless you have justification turned on, WP's idea of the font widths
is not accurate.  WP generally only positions the first character of
a word, so a mismatch shows up as odd spacing between words.

>H/W: IBM PS2/55sx with 2m ram
>     NEC LC890 printer, running in laserjet mode
>S/W: WP 5.0 running under DOS 4.0

The 890 uses postscript fonts even when in HP mode (this is documented)
and the widths will likely be different than HP's.  Either switch
to postscript mode (why wasn't that your first choice?) or download
some HP soft fonts.

Les Mikesell
 les@chinet.chi.il.us

markxx@garnet.berkeley.edu (11/09/89)

In article <489@ringwood.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>We are using WordPerfect 5.0 and having problems with spacing.
>Here is the problem:
>
>We type in a document that has only one space between
>words. When it prints, it oftens has 2 or more spaces
>where we put one.
>I have played with Word Spacing/Letter Spacing, but to no avail.
>The FONT I believe is a proportional font.
>
>WHY THE EXTRA SPACES??
>
>many thanks,
>
>joec@morgan.com

Joe:

	I am sure you will have a lot of replies to this one, but the problem
is that you most probably have right justification turned on.  This will
line up the right margin but to do so it has to pad in extra spaces within
the line between words.  This will happen regardless of font, though it is
more noticible with a non-proportional font. To turn jsutification off,
thus getting one space in between words, and a ragged right margin, then
you type in:

	Shift-F8
	Line
	Justification- No

	Be sure to do this above the area you want changed to ragged right,
or place it in your initial codes if you want the deult to be justification
off.

Mark
markxx@garnet.berkkeley.edu

jwf@hpctdia.HP.COM (John Freeborg) (11/10/89)

   Are you sure you don't have justification turned on?

Just a thought,

     John

John W. Freeborg			Hewlett Packard Company
jwf@hpcsos.col.hp.com			Colorado Telecommunications Division
Disclaimer = 				5070 Centennial Blvd.
'The opinions expressed are not		Colorado Springs, CO  80919
 necessarily those of my employer.'	(719) 531-4771