[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WP 5.0 Printing problem solved - thanks everyone!

finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) (10/31/89)

The problem with mis-alignment came from using a non-propotional font,
as amny of you pointed out. I switched back to courier 10 pt. and everything
was fine. I got quite a few suggestions on using tabs instead of spaces,
but find this very difficult. To understand what I mean, here's what I'm
trying to do:

      xxxx  : xxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xx xx xxxxxx
      yyy   : yyyyyyyy yy y yyyyyy yyyy yyyyyyy yyyyyy yyyyyy yyy
              yyy yyyyyyy yyyyyyy
      z     : zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz
      iiiii : iiiiiiii iiiiiiii iiiiiii ii iiiiiiii  iiiiii

The problem is to get the colons to line up, as well as the beginning of each
line. Since there are 3 spaces after "yyy", but 5 after "z,"  the colons don't
line up. One person (wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu) mentioned using "Shift-F8, D,
D," to get to display pitch and see if it is set to automatic. It was, and
changing it didn't make any difference.  I felt like I was close to what I
was trying to do there for a second! I would still like to be able to
assign some fixed amount of space to each letter, but if this was possible
they wouldn't call it non-propotional font, I guess.  :-)
Anyway, thanks to everyone who replied.

                         Finn.
--
+=====================+========================+=============================+
|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@nec.mojo.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (11/01/89)

My mail bounced.  Apologies to everyone in advance.

In article <197@mojo.UUCP>, finn@mojo (Finn Markmanrud) writes:
>To understand what I mean, here's what I'm
>trying to do:
>
>      xxxx  : xxxx xxxxxx xxxxx xx xx xxxxxx
>      yyy   : yyyyyyyy yy y yyyyyy yyyy yyyyyyy yyyyyy yyyyyy yyy
>              yyy yyyyyyy yyyyyyy
>      z     : zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz
>      iiiii : iiiiiiii iiiiiiii iiiiiii ii iiiiiiii  iiiiii
       ^     ^ ^

Set tabs at the indicated locations.  Then to enter, for example, the line
starting with "yyy", type

<TAB>yyy<TAB>:<F4>yyyyyyyy yy y yyyyyy yyyy yyyyyyy yyyyyy yyyyyy
yyy yyy yyyyyyy yyyyyyy<RETURN>

Since you used <F4> ("indent") when the paragraph wraps, the subsequent
lines will be indented the proper amount.

Moral of the story:  Never use spaces to line up things.  It only
	gives you a false sense of achievement.  Use cool things
	like tabs, indent, center, right-align, maybe even styles.
	The time you invest now in learning to use these tools will
	be saved in time not spent trying to tweak your document later.

>|   Finn Markmanrud   |   finn@nec.mojo.com    |   "It can't happen here."   |

Since I've noticed that other folks have had difficulty getting through to
Mr. Markmanrud, perhaps he can double-check that the address above is valid.
Raymond Chen (mathematician by training, hacker by choice)
			raymond@math.berkeley.edu

phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/10/89)

In article <197@mojo.UUCP> finn@mojo.UUCP (Finn Markmanrud) writes:
|The problem with mis-alignment came from using a non-propotional font,
|as amny of you pointed out. I switched back to courier 10 pt. and everything
|was fine. I got quite a few suggestions on using tabs instead of spaces,
|but find this very difficult. To understand what I mean, here's what I'm

I don't know about WP but MS Word lets you set tabs anywhere you want,
as well as setting what flavor they are.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Come witness the failure of democracy in California!