[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Terminal emulation programs for PC/XT at 19.2K

peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (10/17/89)

I am in need of a terminal emulation program which can handle 19.2K
communications on an old IBM/PC compatible 4.77mhz machine.  Are there
any out there which will allow me to remap the keyboard so that I can
map unix emacs cursor commands onto my cursor keys like I can with
Kermit, as well as good emulation of vt100, vt102, vt200, tvi955 or
other popular terminal types?  I am looking for shareware or public
domain type software, since I am only a "starving" college student at
the moment.

Pedro Quien?

bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) (11/07/89)

HI.  MY NAME'S BOB.  I'M NOT AN OPERATOR AT TIME-LIFE BOOKS, BUT IF YOU ARE
USING A FAST TERMINAL EMULATOR ON YOUR PC-XT, READ ON.

In article <1974@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
>I am in need of a terminal emulation program which can handle 19.2K
>communications on an old IBM/PC compatible 4.77mhz machine.

I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.

Last weekend, I (very informally) benchmarked two emulators I have access to.
"MIRROR II" (commercially-available Crosstalk clone) came in at about 420
chars/sec and "PC-VT" (shareware, available from CompuServe) at about 520
chars/sec.

These numbers were arrived at by measuring (on a UNIX system) the wall clock
time required to execute "cp bigfile /dev/tty" where "bigfile" was a 20,000
byte file containing 250 lines, with 79 non-blank characters followed by a
newline on each line.

With all the new high-speed modems around, PC terminal emulation performance
is becoming a bigger issue.

I hereby offer to collect other people's experiences with high-speed
terminal emulation.  If you can beat these numbers on a PC-XT over a serial
port, send me the speed you've measured (chars/sec, not baud rate), the name
of the emulator you're using, what terminal(s) it emulates, and any other
relevant tidbits you care to pass along.  I'll summarize and post the
results when the responses die down.

>Are there
>any out there which will allow me to remap the keyboard so that I can
>map unix emacs cursor commands onto my cursor keys like I can with
>Kermit,

A different way to go would be to add the cursor positioning escape
sequences (for the VT series, these are up = "<esc>[A", down = "<esc>[B",
left = "<esc>[D", right = "<esc>[C") to your emacs startup file, if
this is possible.  That way, the keys work even if you're running on a real
terminal.

>as well as good emulation of vt100, vt102, vt200, tvi955 or
>other popular terminal types?  I am looking for shareware or public
>domain type software, since I am only a "starving" college student at
>the moment.

"PC-VT" is the best choice I came up with after poking around on CompuServe
for a while.  It's also supposed to be on local BBS's.  It seems very
(maniacally, even) faithful to the goal of VT emulation.  Its only drawback
for your purposes is that it doesn't seem to run at 19.2 Kbaud (with
flagging, of course).

	- Bob Lewis
	  bobl@tessi.UUCP

P.S. If you don't mind flagging, MIRROR II goes up to 115.2 Kbaud, as do
	many other emulators, I'm sure.

In article <560@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP>, bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:

|  I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
|  emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
|  9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.

  Have you tried Kermit? And if so, have you tried it with the TSRs out
of your system? We have been able to run 9600 w/o flow control on an XT.
I have had reports of 19.2, but have not done that myself.
that the world is flat!" - anon

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (11/09/89)

In article <560@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP>, bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
> In article <1974@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
> >I am in need of a terminal emulation program which can handle 19.2K
> >communications on an old IBM/PC compatible 4.77mhz machine.
>
> I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
> emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
> 9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.

I have the same configuration as Bob.  Procomm Plus worked for me at 19200.

--
Bob Weissman      <bob@omni.com>
UUCP:             ...!{apple,pyramid,sgi,tekbspa,uunet}!koosh!bob

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (11/10/89)

In article <1124@borabora.omni.com> bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>In article <560@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP>, bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>> In article <1974@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
>> >I am in need of a terminal emulation program which can handle 19.2K
>> I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
>> emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
>> 9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.
>I have the same configuration as Bob.  Procomm Plus worked for me at 19200.

I used to use a Zenith Z-248 (8mhz AT compatible), running PROCOMM 2.4.2
at 9600 baud, connected to a VAX.  When I did an ASCII upload I found these
results (by ASCII upload I mean enter VI, get into insert mode, have
PROCOMM display the file to the screen, therefore entering it into the
VI document on the VAX).

with a VAX 8600 I could set all PROCOMM delays to zero and never have any
overrun problems
with a VAX 11/750 I had to introduce delays in the PROCOMM upload to avoid
missing characters

I have also tried using PROCOMM to connect at 19.2k through a SYTEK server to
our IBM running PROFS.  I tried to use PROCOMM capture to get
the information from my PROFS mail and some PROFS documents, with very bad
results. I lost a lot of characters, but I wasn't sure if it was PROCOMM
problems or problems with how PROFS displays files (lots of extra
characters, etc.).

Bruce Carlson

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (11/10/89)

In article <560@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP> bobl@ghidrah.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>In article <1974@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
>>I am in need of a terminal emulation program which can handle 19.2K
>>communications on an old IBM/PC compatible 4.77mhz machine.
>
>I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
>emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
>9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.

Are you looking for a terminal emulator or a do-all, end-all terminal emulator
and file-transfer program such as kermit to procomm?

If all you really need is the terminal emulator I can reommend the one I use:
tega.  Written by co-worker Tom Almy, it is absolutely miniscule (less than 2
kbytes, as I recall). It eschews the ANSI escape sequences for cursor control
(because they are simply too long and hence reduce the speed of the emulator)
and instead comes with it's on termcap entry for UNIX (and whatever else uses
termcap) compatibility.  Originally it worked only with COM1; I'll throw in
the version he modified for me that works on com3.  It will do 19.2, with no
flagging, even on a 4.77 MHz PeeCee or ExTee.  Includes 43-line and 25-line
versions.

If I get any requests I'll post it here.  The uuencoded zoo archive is less
than 10kbytes.

kEITHe

peter@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (11/10/89)

In article <1576@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill
davidsen) writes:
>In article <560@ghidrah.tessi.UUCP>, bobl@tessi.UUCP (Bob Lewis) writes:
>
>|  I'd be interested in one of these critters, too, but have yet to find an
>|  emulator for my configuration (640K PC-XT clone, 8 mHz) that could handle
>|  9.6 Kbaud, much less 19.2 Kbaud, without flagging.

>  Have you tried Kermit? And if so, have you tried it with the TSRs out
>of your system? We have been able to run 9600 w/o flow control on an XT.
>I have had reports of 19.2, but have not done that myself.

I was the original poster of the request, in case you were wondering
why I am responding.

Well...I don't run that many TSR's in the background, and yes...being
a Columbia University student...I have tried Kermit.  I currently run
Kermit  at 19.2K with flow control, which is why it seems very slow,
however I tried to run at 9600 and it seemed slower slightly in
displaying so I went back to 19.2K.

>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

Pedro Quien?

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/11/89)

About five years ago, I was tasked with flogging a wideband LAN to see
how well it would stand up on the load of some planned grapics
transfers.

I got some simple octal code from the local PDP-11 guru (made it up in
his head and dictated to me to punch in on the front panel--HONEST!)
that spat out stuff as fast as possible.  I ran around with a TEK 834
rs-232 test set and a stopwatch, and timed how long it took n megs of
data to get there.

The results surprised me. No text terminal in the lab could keep up. I
wish I could remember model numbers, but one was a AJ with a nice amber
display, and both 80/132 col modes. Another was the HP 26?? that was on
the cute pedestal. I think I also stole a VT-100.  ALL overflowed if
their flow controls were disabled. I could see the XOFFs coming back on
the 834. Maybe the scrolling took too long, but @ 9600 and 19.2, there
it was.

I ended up using the Tek graphics terminal for the test, which made me
VERY unpopular with the section whose project it was.  They wanted it
ALL the time. It had post speeds of up to 38.4 available.  It kept up
with the 19.2 just fine. Maybe it was the 80286 processer, and maybe it
was the $30,000 price tag.

Now, if only I could get one for reading news......
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM