[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC curses support wanted

iuster@blowfly.i88.isc.com (Dan F. Iuster) (11/11/89)

Need info on sources of "curses" libraries and associated
"terminfo" or "termcap".  They can be either PD or commercial.
Commercial may be better since they are probably supported.

Has anybody used curses on a PC, and if so what are your
impressions ?  I need to write a program that would be
easily ported between UNIX SVR3 and DOS (no flames please).

	Thanks,
--
Dan Iuster
iuster@laidbak.i88.isc.com

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov10.170403.1312@i88.isc.com> iuster@i88.isc.com (Dan F. Iuster) writes:
>Need info on sources of "curses" libraries and associated
>"terminfo" or "termcap".  They can be either PD or commercial.
>Commercial may be better since they are probably supported.
>
>Has anybody used curses on a PC, and if so what are your
>impressions ?  I need to write a program that would be
>easily ported between UNIX SVR3 and DOS (no flames please).

There is a PD version of curses for the PC (pccurses, It should be
available in the simetel20 archives). For reasonably low price, I got
Aspen's Scientific CURSES/PC, which includes technical support.
This is a full implementation on SysVR3 curses, with some
extensions. Best of all, they have a library called FORMATION which
calls curses routines. FORMATION allows you to use menus of various
types (Lotus, pop-ups, pull-downs) without much work.
FORMATION and CURSES/PC are offered as MS/DOS (and OS/2) binary
libraries and in source code (allowing you to compile FORMATION in
your UNIX system).  So far, I got the binary versions of both.  If
things work out, I'll soon get the source code for FORMATION and
bring things to SysV.

My experience is limited so far, I've just started developing a piece of
software that I want to keep portable. Aspen promises in their manuals
that everything should run under SYSV curses. I am not sure how it
would do with older (BSD) curses libraries.  I am betting it should be
possible with a few ifdef's.  Under MS/DOS the demos look impressive.
It looks ideal for a text-based application.  I wish it included a few
extra tools, like code for an editor you could graft into your
application.

There is a non-curses alternative which I know only from adds.
Oakland C Tools has a package called C-scape which apparently
reimplements all the screen management functions. They offer versions
for MS-DOS, OS/2, UNIX, Xenix and others. They claim it should be
portable almost everywhere.