[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEEDED: Kermit with FIXED FILE TYPE

ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu (11/06/89)

I want to download .exe files from a VAX computer to my PC.  I then want to
upload these to another VAX and then be able to run the programs.

Using KERMIT in binary mode does not accomplish this task and according to
the Kermit-32 documentation, the proper way to do this is to send the file
using KERMIT in binary mode and to receive the file using KERMIT in FIXED
mode.

I'd like to give this a try but I don't have any communications software for
my PC that supports KERMIT FIXED FILE TYPE.

Does anybody know of any software that has this feature?  If so, could you
please also post the phone # of the the company.

Thanks for all assistance.
--

			--- Andy Ross ---
                    University of Pennsylvania

grimesg@annapurna (George Grimes) (11/08/89)

In article <150@mscf.med.upenn.edu> ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:
>I want to download .exe files from a VAX computer to my PC.  I then want to
>upload these to another VAX and then be able to run the programs.

lines deleted for brevity.

>I'd like to give this a try but I don't have any communications software for
>my PC that supports KERMIT FIXED FILE TYPE.
>
>Does anybody know of any software that has this feature?

You only need to set file type to fixed on the VAX end.  For the PC set
file type to binary.  Do this for both directions and everything should
work(I've done it many times).

George

Any similarity between my opinion and my employers is purely coincidental
and subject to immediate change if you bring it to my attention!

   | DOMAIN: grimesg@sj.ate.slb.com        | George Grimes             |
   | UUCP:   {decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!grimesg | Schlumberger Technologies |
   | INTERNET: grimesg%sjs@sdr.slb.com     | 1601 Technology Drive     |
   | PHONE:  (408)437-5305                 | San Jose, Ca. 95110       |

pechter@ocpt.ccur.com (Bill Pechter <pechter>) (11/11/89)

In article <150@mscf.med.upenn.edu>, ross@mscf.med.upenn.edu writes:
> I want to download .exe files from a VAX computer to my PC.  I then want to
> upload these to another VAX and then be able to run the programs.
>
> Using KERMIT in binary mode does not accomplish this task and according to
> the Kermit-32 documentation, the proper way to do this is to send the file
> using KERMIT in binary mode and to receive the file using KERMIT in FIXED
> mode.

Try setting fixed on the Vaxes -- that should keep the Files-11
attributes...  The PC's should just be normal old pc-kermit binary mode.

--
Bill Pechter -- Home - 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701 (201)370-0709
Work -- Concurrent Computer Corp., 2 Crescent Pl, MS 172, Oceanport,NJ 07757