[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PC WatchDog problem

eak@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Eric A Kades) (11/09/89)

I recently began sharing an IBM PC-AT with a co-worker who installed
a product called 'WatchDog' on the machine.  This is a rather extensive
security shell that implements passwords at logon, protection of files
by UNIX-like permission, allows file encryption, ...

It also prevents access to the hard disk if you boot the system from a
floppy, and this has turned into a disaster for me.  One of the executables
at the beginning of autoexec.bat got trashed, and now the computer locks
up when I try to boot from the hard disk.  My co-worker is on vacation
for three weeks, and the manufacturer (Fairchild Intl., Naples, FLA)
will not help me without his password since he is the sysop.

I've tried simple things like hitting C^break at boot time, or using the
Norton Utilities, but if I boot from the floppy any attempt to access a
drive with letters C, D, .. simply returns the message
	invalid drive specification.

Does anyone have any way I can boot from the floppy and get at my files
on the hard disk?  I can write C or assembler programs if necessary,
given an idea of what needs to be done.

All help greatly appreciated.  If any responses are of general interest
post, otherwise email to me (eak@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu).

In article <2085@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>, eak@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Eric A Kades) writes:
> Norton Utilities, but if I boot from the floppy any attempt to access a
> drive with letters C, D, .. simply returns the message
> 	invalid drive specification.

The reason for the invalid drive specification is that watchdog marks the
partition as a non-dos partition and therefore dos programs will not access
the partition.

> Does anyone have any way I can boot from the floppy and get at my files
> on the hard disk?  I can write C or assembler programs if necessary,
> given an idea of what needs to be done.

This depends upon the watchdog configuration.  If the system is configured
to encrypt the disk files, you will not be able to do anything with the
disk other than a low level format.

If the disk files are not encrypted, you could use the bios (not the dos
calls, but the bios calls) to read the disk blocks searching for the autoexec
file.  Then you can modify the autoexec file so that it doesn't call the
offending program.

Marc.Unangst@p0.f129.n120.z1.fidonet.org (Marc Unangst) (11/11/89)

In article <1989Nov9.141414.4166@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
 >The reason for the invalid drive specification is that watchdog marks the
 >partition as a non-dos partition and therefore dos programs will not access
 >the partition.

If all it's doing is marking the partition as a non-DOS one, then all you
have to do is load the partition table into the Norton Utilities's editor
(select Absolute Sector, side 0, track 0, sector 1), and then just flip
the partition ID byte to DOS-12 or DOS-16, depending on the size of the
FAT.

--
Marc Unangst - Gated to UUCP via Fidonet node 1:120/129
UUCP bang: ...!uunet!sharkey!mudos!129.0!Marc.Unangst

In article <699.255B9C14@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, Marc.Unangst@p0.f129.n120.z1.fidonet.org (Marc Unangst) writes:
> In article <1989Nov9.141414.4166@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>  >The reason for the invalid drive specification is that watchdog marks the
>  >partition as a non-dos partition and therefore dos programs will not access
>  >the partition.
>
> If all it's doing is marking the partition as a non-DOS one, then all you
> have to do is load the partition table into the Norton Utilities's editor
> (select Absolute Sector, side 0, track 0, sector 1), and then just flip
> the partition ID byte to DOS-12 or DOS-16, depending on the size of the
> FAT.

That's not all it is doing. That is just the immediate reason for the invalid
drive error message.  They do lots of stuff with on the fly encryption so just
changing the partition table entries will have no good/valid effect.

I don't know the internals of watchdog, I just worked with it for a while and
found that it was a very strong disk protection program.