[comp.sys.ibm.pc] help: re "piping" bar

GERALD@vms.Huji.AC.IL (11/09/89)

I am trying to use the "more" command on my PC-XT to flip through a long
document one page at a time.  My book says I need a bar to "pipe" the
commands Ie, TYPE FILENAME <BAR> MORE.
tHE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE A "BAR" ON MY KEYBOARD.
ANY SOLUTIONS FOR A AMATEUR LIKE ME (PLEAS SEND RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO ME RATHER
THAN ON THE NET.
tHANKS

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (11/10/89)

In article <25597eae34e@vms.huji.ac.il> GERALD%vms.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I am trying to use the "more" command on my PC-XT to flip through a long
>document one page at a time.  My book says I need a bar to "pipe" the
>commands Ie, TYPE FILENAME <BAR> MORE.
>tHE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE A "BAR" ON MY KEYBOARD.
>ANY SOLUTIONS FOR A AMATEUR LIKE ME (PLEAS SEND RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO ME RATHER
>THAN ON THE NET.
>tHANKS

I don't know how to do a pipe on your system, since I don't know which key
represents the pipe symbol. HOWEVER, for what you describe you DO NOT NEED
to use a pipe. Simply try this:

    MORE < FILENAME.EXT

Which tells the standard DOS more program to read stdin, which has been
redirected (by DOS) to represent the file named FILENAME.EXT.

Fred

steve@ucsd.Edu ({Darkavich}) (11/10/89)

In article <25597eae34e@vms.huji.ac.il> GERALD%vms.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I am trying to use the "more" command on my PC-XT to flip through a long
>document one page at a time.  My book says I need a bar to "pipe" the
>commands Ie, TYPE FILENAME <BAR> MORE.
>tHE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE A "BAR" ON MY KEYBOARD.
>ANY SOLUTIONS FOR A AMATEUR LIKE ME (PLEAS SEND RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO ME RATHER
>THAN ON THE NET.
>tHANKS

Another way you can use more is to say

more < filename

this command is just a page stopper.
It does not have any of the features like the UNXI version.

Steve
smisrack@ucsd.edu

poffen@chomolungma (Russ Poffenberger) (11/13/89)

In article <25597eae34e@vms.huji.ac.il> GERALD%vms.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU writes:
>I am trying to use the "more" command on my PC-XT to flip through a long
>document one page at a time.  My book says I need a bar to "pipe" the
>commands Ie, TYPE FILENAME <BAR> MORE.
>tHE PROBLEM IS THAT I DON'T HAVE A "BAR" ON MY KEYBOARD.
>ANY SOLUTIONS FOR A AMATEUR LIKE ME (PLEAS SEND RESPONSES DIRECTLY TO ME RATHER
>THAN ON THE NET.
>tHANKS

HUH? Where did you get your PC? Is it a true IBM? Even so, I have never heard
of a clone without one. (Or virtually ANY keyboard for that matter)

Look on the '\' ket, should be a shift of this key. If not, for some strange
reason, try using the ascii code by holding down the 'alt' key and typing
(on the numeric keypad) the ascii decimal code for that key (124) and then
releasing the alt key.

Now if you don't have an 'alt' key either, you are SOL.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.