[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Question about Reflex 2.0

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (11/09/89)

A prof here is considering buying Reflex 2.0 (because of it $49.95
scholar price) but wants to make sure it can do what he wants.
Specifically, in Reflex 1.0 which he has been looking at, the
number of fields in a record, and I believe the number of records,
is restricted by the amount of memory (640K). The manual states
that you can have approximately 600-800 records in a database
if the records have around 70 fields. This is too restrictive
for his needs. What improvements are there in Reflex 2.0 in
regards to restrictions like these?

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

halff@nprdc.arpa (Henry Halff) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov9.121738.7654@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
>...in Reflex 1.0 ... the
>number of fields in a record, and I believe the number of records,
>is restricted by the amount of memory (640K). The manual states
>that you can have approximately 600-800 records in a database
>if the records have around 70 fields. This is too restrictive
>for his needs. What improvements are there in Reflex 2.0 in
>regards to restrictions like these?

From the Reflex 2.0 "Getting Started" manual--

"Bigger Files.  Database files are no longer limited by the amount of
available system memory (RAM) and can be as large as 32 megabytes,
with as many as 65,000 records."

hh

k..speicher@canremote.uucp (K. SPEICHER) (11/14/89)

pp>number of fields in a record, and I believe the number of records,
pp>is restricted by the amount of memory (640K). The manual states
pp>that you can have approximately 600-800 records in a database
pp>if the records have around 70 fields. This is too restrictive
pp>for his needs. What improvements are there in Reflex 2.0 in
pp>regards to restrictions like these?

    Version 2.0 has no restriction on the number of records in a
database. It will swap them on and off the disk as it needs them.

    Reflex is a great product if you want to do ad hoc analysis of
data.  There's nothing that can touch it in its price range, even
without the academic discount ($50 !).  I've used it to do
cross-tabulations of survey data at two different jobs and would
highly recommend it.

          Kevin
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a12 #2246  Mir ist alles Wurst