[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help - Track 0 bad on Hard Disk

neil@ac.dal.ca (11/06/89)

       Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
hard disk and Email me this trick.

                                 Thanks for any help

                                 neil@ac.dal.ca

plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (11/08/89)

>        Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
> formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
> details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
> hard disk and Email me this trick.

Are you sure this can be done ? If so, PLEASE let me into the trick
too ! Although I am not having such problem at the moment. Never
know it will become handy.    I thought it can't be done.

Regards,
Peter Lim.
HP Singapore IC Design Center.

      E-mail address:              plim@hpsgwg
      Snail Mail address:          Peter Lim
                                   Hewlett Packard Singapore,
                                   (ICDS, ICS)
                                   1150, Depot Road,
                                   Singapore   0410.
      Telephone:                   (065)-279-2289

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (11/11/89)

In article <340015@hpsgpa.HP.COM> plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:

>>        Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
>> formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
>> details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
>> hard disk and Email me this trick.
>>

>Are you sure this can be done ? If so, PLEASE let me into the trick
>too ! Although I am not having such problem at the moment. Never
>know it will become handy.    I thought it can't be done.

I am told that Paul Mace claims that his MACE utilities can recover from
a FORMAT C: command EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE MACE UTILITIES LOADED
WHEN THE FORMAT OCCURRED!  I haven't tried it, but if I had just
accidently formatted my drive, I'd buy it for the chance.  His utilities
get good reviews, too.

I am not in any way connected with the Mace Utilities or the company
that sells it and the opinions expressed here are my own.

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (11/11/89)

In article <44@qmsseq.imagen.com> pipkins@qmsseq.UUCP (Jeff Pipkins) writes:
>In article <340015@hpsgpa.HP.COM> plim@hpsgpa.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>>>
>>>        Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
>>> formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
>>> details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
>>> hard disk and Email me this trick.
>>>

>>Are you sure this can be done ? If so, PLEASE let me into the trick
>>too ! Although I am not having such problem at the moment. Never
>>know it will become handy.    I thought it can't be done.

Perhaps you could run FDISK and make c: all of 1 track in size (however
many clusters that might be - in my case 17).  Then make a d: partition
the size of the rest of the disk, make this the active dos partition.  Of
course I could be full of it, since I believe that the partition
information is stored in the first (couple?) of sectors of track 0.

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (11/12/89)

In article <905@ac.dal.ca> neil@ac.dal.ca writes:
>       Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
>formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
>details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
>hard disk and Email me this trick.

I just did this about a month ago on a Tallgrass Technologies Drive system with
a bad cluster 0 (NOTE: The problem I worked with was CLUSTER, not TRACK...don't
know if the same can be done for track, but it may be possible.)
All I had to do was tell the disk partitioning program that partition 0 started
at cluster 1 instead of cluster 0.  I believe this would also be possible for
a bad track, just calculate the number of clusters per track and start
partition 0 here.

Anyone have a better solution?

--
			L. Scott Emmons
			uucp: ...[!ucbvax]!ucdavis!csusac!scott

alan@oetl.UUCP (Alan Strassberg) (11/15/89)

In article <905@ac.dal.ca> neil@ac.dal.ca writes:

>       Awhile ago (about 2 months) I read something about
>formatting a hard disk with track 0 failure. I don't remember the
>details of the solution. Could someone please aid a poor failing
>hard disk and Email me this trick.

	Norton's Advanced Utilities 4.5 comes with a book called -
	'The Norton Troubleshooter' that describes the technique
	to do this. Naturally this utilizes Nortons tools.
	Highly recommended package.

				alan
--
Alan Strassberg             alan@oetl.scf.lockheed.com
(408) 425-6139              ...!uunet!lstc!oetl!alan