[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Getting my expanded memory to work

cs4g6aw@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Amos Yung) (11/11/89)

I have posted the following problem a few weeks ago. Much to my surprise,
nobody responds to my quest for help (except a few mail sending me condolence
and wish me luck to be a functional member of the society again). I decided
I should give it one more try. This time, if you know the solution, please
give me a hand.

Here comes the problem:

I am using a 12MHz AT with 3 meg RAM (1 meg on board and 2 meg on a no-name
RAM board). The memory was set to 640K conventional memory, 384k extentded
memory (used as cache) and 2048K expanded memory. But when I try to run
Desqview, problems came up. The Expanded Memory row in the memory status
program will show that: Totol Memory :2048K, Total Available: 2048K,
Largest Available : 0 k. I don't think the problem lies on the EMM 4.0
driver because Norton Utilities and Window 286 both recognize the fact that
I have 2048K of Expanded memory. BTW, Pagemaker used very little (about 512K)
of the expanded memory when it is running. It seems to prefer its own temp
file. Do you guys know what the problems are?

Appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks!

--
Amos Yung            | "I am not only the Vice-president," said Dan Quayle,
McMaster University, | held in his hand a photo of himself, younger,

poffen@chomolungma (Russ Poffenberger) (11/15/89)

In article <255BAF94.11265@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> cs4g6aw@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Amos Yung) writes:

>I have posted the following problem a few weeks ago. Much to my surprise,
>nobody responds to my quest for help (except a few mail sending me condolence
>and wish me luck to be a functional member of the society again). I decided
>I should give it one more try. This time, if you know the solution, please
>give me a hand.
>
>Here comes the problem:
>
>I am using a 12MHz AT with 3 meg RAM (1 meg on board and 2 meg on a no-name
>RAM board). The memory was set to 640K conventional memory, 384k extentded
>memory (used as cache) and 2048K expanded memory. But when I try to run
>Desqview, problems came up. The Expanded Memory row in the memory status
>program will show that: Totol Memory :2048K, Total Available: 2048K,
>Largest Available : 0 k. I don't think the problem lies on the EMM 4.0
>driver because Norton Utilities and Window 286 both recognize the fact that
>I have 2048K of Expanded memory. BTW, Pagemaker used very little (about 512K)
>of the expanded memory when it is running. It seems to prefer its own temp
>file. Do you guys know what the problems are?
>
>Appreciate any help that I can get. Thanks!

It might help if you gave the model of the card. I will tell you my experience
though.

I bought an Everex RAM3000 for my 16Mhz AT clone. Never did get the thing to
work. As long as the card was installed (I changed chips, tried different
configuarations, you name it) I would get spurious parity errors and hung
system.
I took it back where I got it (Fry's) and they tested it. It did the same thing
in their machine (completely different machine). So I figure it was a bad card.
I got a new one and guess what! Same thing!
So apparently there was either a bad batch of cards, or they have serious
compatibility problems with a number of machines.
I exchanged it for an Intel Aboveboard (a little higher priced) and it works
great.

Beware of Everex Ram3000. It certainly wasn't the vendor's fault (Fry's). In
fact, they were very good about the whole thing.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254
In a dictatorship, people suffer without complaining.
In a democracy, people complain without suffering.